+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree752Likes

Thread: Big Bang Theory

Re: Big Bang Theory

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Well, when an earthquake takes out their lab, they'll be running to the USGS - theoretically, of course.

When Sheldon was moaning and groaning at the lunch table, he talked about wanting to make science more relevant to the people on the street...nothing is more relevant than the earth moving beneath your feet.

Love the new direction of gravitational physics - all that lovely magnetism running around the world and beyond. Let's see what has magnetic properties that might push and pull gravitational forces.

Okay...I'm not a scientist of any kind - obviously - but did want to stand up for "fake" science.
    Thank you a billion times over, for your post, Ariesflies!!!
    "You have to remember, sometimes your `buddy' isn't really your `buddy' in this game." -Donny

Quote Originally Posted by anders332 View Post
    but this is Sheldon we're talking about - he believes his science is the only relevant science. We've heard him make fun of all their occupations, and even make fun of Howard's Masters from MIT, and remind him repeatedly that he's not a doctor. In his mind, this is Sheldon's world and it has nothing to do with the branch of science.

EXACTLY! -The character Sheldon could very easily be absolutely insufferable, with viewers fleeing in droves. But the writers are constantly mocking Sheldon's self- importance his statements about Howard, about geologists, about everything outside of himself, are designed to make fun of his arrogance and self-importance. Viewers get it, geologists get it. Perhaps the only people not to get the joke are other real life Sheldon's. Thank goodness Jim Parsons and the writers do such a brilliant balancing act in how Sheldon is portrayed and perceived. There's just enough vulnerability and sincere decency to keep Sheldon from being a truly unbearable blowhard.
    Last edited by redsox girl; 04-18-2014 at 07:05 PM.
    Florimel, Jamie5632 and AlwaysVeg like this.
    "You have to remember, sometimes your `buddy' isn't really your `buddy' in this game." -Donny

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

For all you Wil Wheaton fans, he does not end his career playing a gorilla opposite Penny. He has a reality show coming up on SciFi sometime this summer. After that episode, I found the commercial for it to be hysterical. Now, if only Penny could make an appearance and confirm her non-acting creds.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    For all you Wil Wheaton fans, he does not end his career playing a gorilla opposite Penny. He has a reality show coming up on SciFi sometime this summer. After that episode, I found the commercial for it to be hysterical. Now, if only Penny could make an appearance and confirm her non-acting creds.
    I saw that promo, too, and thought is was wonderful. I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing it, but then I've always liked Wil Wheaton. Loved his character in the three episodes of Leverage where he was pitted against fellow computer whiz, Hardison. I'd love to see Penny of any of the Big Bang characters make an appearance. From what I can see, it's set to premiere on May 27.

The Wil Wheaton Project | Syfy
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

What gets me about the promo is that he plays, or is, the same ego-centric Wil we see on Big Bang Theory.

"Hi, I'm Wil Wheaton, and I'm a pretty big deal."
    Florimel likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I do not see the ego of Wil Wheaton on the show, I think he just likes messing with Sheldon.
    Florimel likes this.
    There's no place like home!

I guess it is the way he comes across - messing with Sheldon or not.

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I do not see the ego of Wil Wheaton on the show, I think he just likes messing with Sheldon.
    Agree and what else I see is him making fun of his perceived public persona, something foist on him since his days as a Star Trek teenage genius.
    captain and PWS like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I saw that promo, too, and thought is was wonderful. I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing it, but then I've always liked Wil Wheaton. Loved his character in the three episodes of Leverage where he was pitted against fellow computer whiz, Hardison. I'd love to see Penny of any of the Big Bang characters make an appearance. From what I can see, it's set to premiere on May 27.

The Wil Wheaton Project | Syfy
    He was on BBC America last night hosting an Orphan Black special.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Ah, jeez...looks like I touched a couple of nerves. I'm actually looking forward to the show...and yes, especially with the Penny movie bit, I know he was laughing at himself.
    Florimel likes this.

+ Reply to Thread