+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1588Likes

Thread: Big Bang Theory

Re: Big Bang Theory

Was Sheldon naked?? I assumed he had his undies on.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

FORT Fogey

If Amy was the one to undress him, only she ( and he) would know how far she went. LOL
    libgirl2 likes this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I agree, my mom would not have approved either! Of course there is no way to tell the story in a non gross way...the question is, why embarrass a guy you just remet....who is a friend of your date's? Maybe because she's told the story so many times already it's lost it's grossness and is just a funny story to her, maybe because when she finally remembered it was obvious that she'd remembered something...would have been hard to say, oh no, nothing... but mostly I think because there's a generation gap,as it were, in that a lot of the "young'uns" don't find feces talk at the table that revolting...plus all scientists and all, again, less offended often in my experience.
    I'm just happy the show confines itself to occasional potty humor (e.g., the above mentioned space toilet)...I can't believe they are moving 2 Broke Girls to 8pm.... what happened to the family hour?

Quote Originally Posted by anders332 View Post
    Was Sheldon naked?? I assumed he had his undies on.
    By coincidence, the syndicated BBT that played immediately before this episode was the one where he was accepting an award, but had to give a speech. The only way he could do it was with a little alcohol and Penny made sure he had a lot. The next day they had him watch his speech on the internet when he couldn't find his pants. You see him stripping down to his underwear as he tells jokes on stage and then the credits rolled on a black screen while you hear him continue with something about showing them the moon, and then something about Uranus... the visuals are left to your imagination, but lets just say alcohol significantly lowers his inhibitions. Amy? Are you paying attention?
    JunkieGirl, Florimel and libgirl2 like this.
    Count your blessings!

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Just a couple of minor corrections, no? Howard designed the space station potty that had problems (very apropos this week's story!), and I think it was geology, not geography. While I don't think it's a fair comparison, for a theoretical physicist like Sheldon, geology probably is to "his" science what the Kardasians are to "real" celebrities.
    My boyfriend is a nuclear engineer and plasma physicist and he actually burst out laughing so hard he was crying when Sheldon found the geology book and asked if Leonard threw a children's party because in the physics/engineering world, geology is a fake science. He said they were so dead on with that description and the disdain for it. Also, I guess he and his lab mates were just having the conversation about geology/geophysics being a fake science, so it was funny that they brought it up on the show.

Well, when an earthquake takes out their lab, they'll be running to the USGS - theoretically, of course.

When Sheldon was moaning and groaning at the lunch table, he talked about wanting to make science more relevant to the people on the street...nothing is more relevant than the earth moving beneath your feet.

Love the new direction of gravitational physics - all that lovely magnetism running around the world and beyond. Let's see what has magnetic properties that might push and pull gravitational forces.

Okay...I'm not a scientist of any kind - obviously - but did want to stand up for "fake" science.
    Florimel and redsox girl like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

There's such a hierarchy is science... physicists disdain chemists who disdain biologists, etc etc... the only people physicists traditionally look up to are mathematicians.... You could just as easily say that they are all studying the same things at different levels, and that eventually the levels will hook up---with all the newer interdisciplinary fields...first biochemistry, then neurobiology, etc. I'm an experimental psychologist married to a biochemist and we used to think we might some day publish jointly (before neurobio existed)...our work went in different directions so that never happened, but other people are doing that work on the "fringes" of the old fields now, knitting them together, and it's some of the most exciting work out there.
    That said, I did find it a funny show just for that reason, so dead on...

Ah, I see. I guess I would defend any field of study seen as a step-child. Thanks for the explanation.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

but this is Sheldon we're talking about - he believes his science is the only relevant science. We've heard him make fun of all their occupations, and even make fun of Howard's Masters from MIT, and remind him repeatedly that he's not a doctor. In his mind, this is Sheldon's world and it has nothing to do with the branch of science.
    Florimel and redsox girl like this.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Sheldon's a theoretical physicist (almost math!), while the others do more real world work, with things, or beings. Applied physics, engineers, neurobiologists, etc. Definitely "lesser" from the point of view of a theoretical physicist---since Sheldon has no social skills he just says what many, probably most, theoretical physicists think. And you can see that the men, who all work with things, now and then leak that they look down on the work the women do, which involves living things.

+ Reply to Thread