+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree744Likes

Thread: Big Bang Theory

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Big Bang Theory

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I would still like to know how Penny can afford a 1 bedroom apt and only work at the Cheese factory?
    Cheesecake Factory! Not Cheese factory! If you don't have one near you it i a kind of middle to upscale chain--she would probably make decent money there, for a waitressing job, and it's not like they live in NYC after all. Maybe that's why the elevator is still broken--no housing authority!
    And old 6 or so story building in Southern CA is actually not that common, now that I think about it....and they aren't even on the top story.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    I know, right? After all, "Jack" needed both "Chrissy" and "Janet" to help with expenses and that was 25 years ago!!!
    More like was *37* years ago! (I feel seriously old right now!) And how did Monica keep her rent controlled apartment while never at work (we all know chefs have to be at the job for a long time due to Top Chef, Hell's Kitchen, and the scads of Food Network shows) and a coffee waitress' salary. It also raises the question why Sheldon and Leonard don't have their own places. Academics don't have loads of cash, but as long as they're not adjuncts, they're making ok money and they've been at it for a while. That part doesn't bother me, as libgilrl2 says, I'll suspend my disbelief. I will probably enjoy the tenure fight coming up, though.

I do wish they would give Penny something more to do. She's got more of a plot on the car commercials right now.

I actually edited it because I had typed Cheesefactory and changed it to 2 words. I knew it was Cheesecake, but my brain has not worked for a few days now.
    There's no place like home!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I only noticed as it is probably my Sig. Other's favorite place to eat, despite that it is noisy and you have wait almost always--big fan of the carrot cake. There's always a huge slab of it in the fridge after a visit there.
    But back to housing probabilities---the only rational reason for Leonard to still be living in the dump of an apt. building is that Penny is across the hall--probably a good enough reason for him.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Finally got to watch my tape of this last episode---awww... And basically a really nice tribute to people like Bill Nye, the Science Guy... who get kids interested in science. Got tears in my eyes. It was also great to see Newhart again. He looks just the same as ever!
    WrigleyDogA2 likes this.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I only noticed as it is probably my Sig. Other's favorite place to eat, despite that it is noisy and you have wait almost always--big fan of the carrot cake. There's always a huge slab of it in the fridge after a visit there.
    But back to housing probabilities---the only rational reason for Leonard to still be living in the dump of an apt. building is that Penny is across the hall--probably a good enough reason for him.
    Your slab of Cheesecake Factory carrot cake makes it to the fridge? I am IMpressed!!!
    (ours never lasts that long! LOL!)

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    More like was *37* years ago! (I feel seriously old right now!) And how did Monica keep her rent controlled apartment while never at work (we all know chefs have to be at the job for a long time due to Top Chef, Hell's Kitchen, and the scads of Food Network shows) and a coffee waitress' salary. It also raises the question why Sheldon and Leonard don't have their own places. Academics don't have loads of cash, but as long as they're not adjuncts, they're making ok money and they've been at it for a while. That part doesn't bother me, as libgilrl2 says, I'll suspend my disbelief. I will probably enjoy the tenure fight coming up, though.

I do wish they would give Penny something more to do. She's got more of a plot on the car commercials right now.
    They're at CalTech, right? That's a prestigious institution, so I had to go look at the salaries there. Assistant professors make $102,000, associate professors make $114,000, and full professors make $198,000. In my book, that qualifies as "loads of cash!"

If they've been there long enough to be jockeying for tenured positions, I would think that they are already probably full professors, no? So, clearly, any one of them can afford to own a home or at least rent a nicer apartment than they are in.

Edited to add:

Oops. I'm totally wrong. I happened to notice that my search pointed to a board where someone had asked what the characters probably made and a guy who is a research physicist at CalTech in particle physics said that starting salaries for that type of position are around $65,000 (or were three years ago when he posted that). I guess the salaries that I posted above are for teaching faculty.

This guy also lives pretty much in the neighborhood where the apartment is, and he says that Sheldon and Leonard's apartment would be around $3,000 a month. , which really begs the question "how can Penny afford her place?"
    Last edited by Miss_Griss; 05-05-2013 at 02:00 AM.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    Your slab of Cheesecake Factory carrot cake makes it to the fridge? I am IMpressed!!!
    (ours never lasts that long! LOL!)
    Only because we pig out before that---it's always planned that the carrot cake comes home--it never even makes it to the restaurant table!

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    This guy also lives pretty much in the neighborhood where the apartment is, and he says that Sheldon and Leonard's apartment would be around $3,000 a month. , which really begs the question "how can Penny afford her place?"
    Penny's apartment is smaller than the guy's, it's only a one bedroom, and we've seen her struggle with money quite a few times. Also, given the lack of building maintenance and security, I would guess they are getting cheaper rent than a comparable building in the same area with a working elevator, etc. As for why the guys live there, I'm sure Sheldon and Leonard could move anytime, but Leonard stays for Penny and Sheldon knows he cannot live alone, and he does not deal well with change.

But, I should say I am firmly in the "suspend belief" camp for good tv shows and movies, so even if my guessing is wrong, I don't really care.
    redsox girl likes this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

FYI For those who've never been to a Cheesecake factory, one slice is about the size of half a normal cake! "Slab" is the mot juste!

At most institutions the tenure/no tenure decision is made between the assistant/associate professor level. For someone in the sciences who graduated with a BS at 22, normally s/he'd have a Ph.D. by 29 at the very latest, then do one or two post doc positions, each lasting 2-3 years. At that point (early to mid 30's,unless, like Sheldon, you've skipped a lot of grades) one would apply for an assistant professorship on tenure track. After about 5 years one normally comes up for tenure and promotion to associate professor. If you don't get tenure you get kicked off the tenure track -- you aren't allowed to be on it more than 7 years--it's an up or out system. Sometimes one might be retained in a less capacity such as a research professor. While you are on tenure track you would normally be doing at least some teaching. Once you have tenure if you continue to do well in another 5+ years you can come up for promotion to full professor (more money/more prestige), but some people stay at the associate level the rest of their lives. Once a school gives you tenure you normally would stay there for the rest of your life, unless you are very very good, in which case you may be "stolen" by another school (aka you start looking around and/or other schools hear you are restless and approach you).
    Usually these positions would be at different schools, so BS in one school, PhD in another, post docs in two others, jobs in yet another. Very occasionally one stays on in the same place for several of these, or returns to a previous place at a different point in one's career. (That's not actually considered a great idea as people tend to continue treating you like an undergrad even though you are now a grad student, or a post doc even though you are a professor, etc.)
    These guys are living like post docs. Now, if during your post doc years you didn't publish a lot or impressively you may get a "research professorship" job, which is kind of like an advanced post doc, but does NOT lead to tenure. Since they never mention doing ANY teaching that may be what they are meant to be. However they are apparently well thought of in their departments so you'd think they would be on tenture track. But they don't teach. This is where TBBT leaves the world of reality....

And, as I've said before, tenure openings don't usually occur because someone dies, but because the admin decides to expand a dept. A department may get/get to keep a tenure track line to fill because someone dies or retires, but at a school like CalTech they would do a nationwide search to fill it. The dept. would decide what kind of skills they need to hire for and search for that. Very unlikely that the description would be so broad that both Sheldon and Leonard would compete for the same line. Usually they would search for an assit. prof. but occasionally they would search for someone at a tenured level (aka steal a tenured person from another school). It's very unlikely Sheldon or Leonard could get a tenured position if they haven't been tenured elsewhere, or if they haven't already been on a tenure track line.

Tenure track and tenured profs. in physics are pretty well paid---because if they weren't they could get well paying jobs in industry. English profs. at the same rank are not nearly as well paid. Post docs/research profs. are much less well paid.

All the above is true in generaly--Cal Tech may be the exception to the rule.
    OK rant over, I know it 's a sitcom, truly! But if there is a lot of stuff about trying to get a tenured line coming up I hope it is better done than it has been so far or it is going to jar my ability to enjoy the show.
    Miss_Griss likes this.

+ Reply to Thread