+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1419Likes

Thread: Big Bang Theory

FORT Fogey

Re: Big Bang Theory

I agree that they have not found the right place for Raj. At this point, he could be called back to India. Hopefully, the new relationship will be something interesting....but I tend to doubt it.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I agree that 1) even on a bad day it's way better than just about any other sitcom and 2) this is them trying something different again, like the time they were supposed to have interested junior high girls in science. It's as if they have an advisor now who is being asked about what kinds of "real world" situations in academia these guys might find themselves in...but then the advisor leaves and they just make it up from there.
    For starters, 1) slots don't usually open up due to the death of a professor, 2) these three guys are unlikely to be competing for the same position (at least they didn't have Howard who only has a MS degree in engineering up for it!), 3) you come up for tenure at most schools (and I assume at Cal Tech) after you've been an asst. professor for about 5-6 years, and whether you get it or not doesn't depend on someone else dying but on your work--the "line" is there already, and they know when they hire you that if you do well they need to be prepared to give you a raise when you get tenure--it's an up or out system), 4) a non-PhD like "Mrs." whatever her name was, would not be on a committee recommending people for tenure (I assume she'd have been called Dr. X if she had a Ph.D.), and so on. Anyway, so they take a real issue, but have to twist it so much to make them all involved it seems off somehow....
    Re the racism...I agree, cringeworthy, but it does kind of fit with Sheldon's "issues" though....he pays no attention to other people's interests normally and can't "read" faces well...then he realizes he's in a situation where he needs to "suck up" to some extent...so he looks at the committee member and says well, what might interest her/him, what do I know about them (nothing!), well, ok, they are from Texas, I'll give them a book on the Alamo, they're black, I'll give them Roots, etc. He's so clueless partly because of his Asp. perhaps, but also because he's always been so much smarter than everyone around him, and focused on intellectual stuff (kind of an Aspie thing, the focus), that he never made friends before Leonard, never got any experience at figuring things like this out. He was probably way younger than other kids in his class, another barrier to friend making.
    Haven't they said Sheldon started college when he was 12? And got his first Ph.D when he was 15?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong on that. I know he went to college at a much younger age than usual.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Nebula View Post
    Haven't they said Sheldon started college when he was 12? And got his first Ph.D when he was 15?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong on that. I know he went to college at a much younger age than usual.
    Yes, I'm pretty sure I recall something like that as well. So even less likely to provide an opportunity to practice peer relations.

FORT Fan

Yes, I'm pretty sure I recall something like that as well. So even less likely to provide an opportunity to practice peer relations.
    Absolutely true about not getting any practice with peer relations.

At some point I read an article about what happens to youngsters who end up in college at a very young age. I have no idea where or when I read it but it can probably be googled.

There is a whole list of problems that these kids have because they are so smart but their emotional development is minimal or even stunted because they really do not have many actual peers in any situation they are in. And also because people assume that because they are intellectually smart they will automatically "pick up" any knowledge they need re emotions and relationships.

I recall the article as recommending that every university that has such young studenys initiate emotional support programs and "training" for their young scholars.

We saw that demonstrated in Numb3rs by David Krumholtz' character, Charlie Epps. It took years for him to be able to develop real relationships with his dad, his brother, and finally a woman, whom he married in the final episode. That show did a good job of showing the difficulties, I thought.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I equate Sheldon with a Robot - it's like his brain is a computer and lacks the human nature component. Even if he was a youngster going through school/university, he still would've had daily contact with people and we know he has a real connection with his mother and sister and he speaks of his father as well.

Sheldon has no concept of human emotions and the only time I remember him showing any was when they were going to the comic book convention and Leonards' car got stolen and they were left on the side of the road in costume and couldn't get to Bakersfield, in the end they all got depressed and just wanted to go home, even Sheldon.

I love when he doesn't realize he makes a joke and when everyone else laughs, he laughs. I love when people are being sarcastic with him and he doesn't understand the concept (remember Leonard and the "Sarcasm" sign in season 1). I love when he actually tries to be funny and it comes off dry and humourless - I think only his "Bazinga" is his actual attempt at humour that works.
    libgirl2 and AlwaysVeg like this.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

FORT Fan

I wish they weren't saving their new episodes for Sweeps Week.
    I really would have enjoyed a new episode this week.
    nlmcp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Nebula View Post
    I wish they weren't saving their new episodes for Sweeps Week.
    I really would have enjoyed a new episode this week.
    me too. Not much time til the season is over.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I enjoyed last night's show because it kind of hit home about closure. It drives me crazy when someone is talking and does not finish the conversation and I also do not like when a show just ends with no explanation.
    Hyper and momrek06 like this.
    There's no place like home!

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I enjoyed last night's show because it kind of hit home about closure. It drives me crazy when someone is talking and does not finish the conversation and I also do not like when a show just ends with no explanation.
    LOL, I'm the same way. When people do this to me, I just keep saying AND.....use your words to finish!!! It was a funny episode
    momrek06 likes this.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

+ Reply to Thread