+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1065Likes

Thread: Big Bang Theory

FORT Fan

Re: Big Bang Theory

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Nebula View Post
    His non-comprehension in and lack of drive concerning sex seems to go along with his other problems that relate to emotions and dealing with other people. IE his lack of any interest in or understanding of interpersonal relationships or even a lack of the ability to read facial and other non-verbal cues.

He also exhibits the sign of not wanting or needing to be touched.

These signs as seen in the Sheldon character have been said by some to be an example of high functioning Asberger's.

Amy's problem seems to be more a lack of adequate socialization as a youngster, which is similar to the problems that Howard and Raj and to a lesser extent Leonard have.
    I apologize for not having caught the typos in my previous post.

Wow! That episode was the most offensive tv I've seen in a while. Not much funny in there, either. Raj whining about not having seat warmers, Penny using her boobs for leverage, racism, and my least favorite part of the show whenever he appears - the guy with the ridiculous speech impediment, so far over the top as to be embarrassing for the writers. Thumbs down
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Wow! That episode was the most offensive tv I've seen in a while. Not much funny in there, either. Raj whining about not having seat warmers, Penny using her boobs for leverage, racism, and my least favorite part of the show whenever he appears - the guy with the ridiculous speech impediment, so far over the top as to be embarrassing for the writers. Thumbs down
    I think it was meant to be an over the top commentary on our society's various no-nos and how easily someone like Sheldon can completely misunderstand where the current lines are drawn.
    I found it hilarious and brilliiantly done.
    Different strokes etc of course.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I completely agree, especially about the overt racism. It was not funny and I'm surprised the cast, especially Parsons, went along with it.

FORT Fanatic

I would say that the cleavage thing is used often in society.
    Florimel likes this.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I would say that the cleavage thing is used often in society.
    Definitely!

I thought the whole episode was a kind of study on just how quickly relationships can change (or be destroyed) depending on what is at stake.

To me that put the episode in a different category than their usual laugh fest. They do try different things every so often. I just saw a repeat of the show where Leonard spends the entire episode imagining what might happen if he asks Penny out after they broke up. Only we don't get a hint that it is only his imagination at work until the very end of the episode.

That made it kind of bittersweet and her real answer in real life much more poignant.
    Last edited by Orion Nebula; 04-07-2013 at 04:26 PM.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

It wasn't one of the better episodes, but it was still better than most sit coms.
    Florimel and TripleGemini like this.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I agree that 1) even on a bad day it's way better than just about any other sitcom and 2) this is them trying something different again, like the time they were supposed to have interested junior high girls in science. It's as if they have an advisor now who is being asked about what kinds of "real world" situations in academia these guys might find themselves in...but then the advisor leaves and they just make it up from there.
    For starters, 1) slots don't usually open up due to the death of a professor, 2) these three guys are unlikely to be competing for the same position (at least they didn't have Howard who only has a MS degree in engineering up for it!), 3) you come up for tenure at most schools (and I assume at Cal Tech) after you've been an asst. professor for about 5-6 years, and whether you get it or not doesn't depend on someone else dying but on your work--the "line" is there already, and they know when they hire you that if you do well they need to be prepared to give you a raise when you get tenure--it's an up or out system), 4) a non-PhD like "Mrs." whatever her name was, would not be on a committee recommending people for tenure (I assume she'd have been called Dr. X if she had a Ph.D.), and so on. Anyway, so they take a real issue, but have to twist it so much to make them all involved it seems off somehow....
    Re the racism...I agree, cringeworthy, but it does kind of fit with Sheldon's "issues" though....he pays no attention to other people's interests normally and can't "read" faces well...then he realizes he's in a situation where he needs to "suck up" to some extent...so he looks at the committee member and says well, what might interest her/him, what do I know about them (nothing!), well, ok, they are from Texas, I'll give them a book on the Alamo, they're black, I'll give them Roots, etc. He's so clueless partly because of his Asp. perhaps, but also because he's always been so much smarter than everyone around him, and focused on intellectual stuff (kind of an Aspie thing, the focus), that he never made friends before Leonard, never got any experience at figuring things like this out. He was probably way younger than other kids in his class, another barrier to friend making.

I enjoy this show so much that I get caught up in their "lives". Then I have to smack myself and say it is just a tv show, don't take it so seriously.
    Florimel likes this.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Nebula View Post
    I think it was meant to be an over the top commentary on our society's various no-nos and how easily someone like Sheldon can completely misunderstand where the current lines are drawn.
    I found it hilarious and brilliiantly done.
    Different strokes etc of course.
    and the fact that it was Sheldon doing/saying it, since he rarely understands the ramifications of what he thinks are points in history and doesn't understand the human aspect of it. Of course Regina King did an excellent job of reacting, since she's aware of Sheldon's nature.

I too thought it was brilliantly done. different strokes.

Raj is becoming increasingly irrelevant.
    combatcutie likes this.
    No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible. George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

+ Reply to Thread