+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree739Likes

Thread: Big Bang Theory

Re: Big Bang Theory

Congratulations on getting your Ph.D., JulieAnn :-) That's awesome!
    JulieAnn likes this.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    Congratulations on getting your Ph.D., JulieAnn :-) That's awesome!
    Thanks! It is pretty awesome! And the best part is that I get to be a part of my students' dreams of earning Ph.D.'s, too! (Whenever I get in a funk about how huge my student debt still is--even after all of these years of paying on it--I think about the joy on my students' faces and I realize it was totally worth it)

I would bet Sheldon received all kinds of scholarships and grants, etc for school.
    Florimel and JulieAnn like this.
    There's no place like home!

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I would bet Sheldon received all kinds of scholarships and grants, etc for school.
    No doubt.

The purpose of my original comment was to just clear up the belief that most people with doctorates don't usually have debt when they finish. Some do, some don't. I'd put Sheldon in the "no debt" category, too.
    Florimel likes this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Now I'm dying to know where you teach where most PhD students don't get tuition covered, stipends, etc.! And yes, especially for people in the humanities who often take 7 years to finish, and only get funded fully for four, even at our school I'm sure they have some debt---hopefully not usually what you have though, JA! At our school the other advantage science students have, aside from bigger stipends to start with, is that their money mostly comes from being research assistants...they might only teach one year of the four fully funded years, and that research usually relates pretty directly to their thesis research. And on top of that their advisors often have grants that will support them even beyond the four years...plus they finish faster.
    I actually went into all that detail because I've advised so many good students over the years who should be applying to Ph D programs, who think they can't because they think they'd have to pay 4+ more years of tuition and have no income, so just spreading the word, ain't necessarily so.

But yeah, back to Sheldon--no debt I'd bet....well, unless he never cashed any of his grad school checks either...in which case what the heck is he living on, as I said before.
    And congrats on finishing your PhD!
    JulieAnn likes this.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Now I'm dying to know where you teach where most PhD students don't get tuition covered, stipends, etc.! And yes, especially for people in the humanities who often take 7 years to finish, and only get funded fully for four, even at our school I'm sure they have some debt---hopefully not usually what you have though, JA!
    I sent you a PM about the school where I currently teach but I was also started graduate school during Bush I's administration when interest rates were high and the income thresholds for subsidized loans were quite low. Those interest rates follow you all through grad school. Anyway, it was the capitalized interest that is the primary culprit for the large loan (and it didn't quite hit $100,000 but what's a few thousand here or there when it is that big? *laugh*).

So, for everyone considering grad school, learn from my mistake! Go where you get the best funding! Even if you are super genius like Sheldon!
    WrigleyDogA2 likes this.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

libgirl2 likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    Thanks for the link. can't wait. Love this show
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

A BBT spoiler, compliments of Ausiello:

Click to see Spoiler:
    Could we be about to get a look at Howard’s mother?!? Possibly, since this season, she’s even getting her own boyfriend — Dr. Schneider, a middle-aged schlub of a dentist.

Read More at: ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Spoilers Season 8 — Plus Spoilers on ‘Glee,’ ‘Gossip Girl’ and More! - TVLine
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    A BBT spoiler, compliments of Ausiello:

Click to see Spoiler:
    Could we be about to get a look at Howard’s mother?!? Possibly, since this season, she’s even getting her own boyfriend — Dr. Schneider, a middle-aged schlub of a dentist.

Read More at: ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Spoilers Season 8 — Plus Spoilers on ‘Glee,’ ‘Gossip Girl’ and More! - TVLine
    The show runners are still saying no.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    They've repeated that they have no plans to show Mrs. Wolowitz, which is too bad because from what I remember about Carol Ann Susi, I think she and Howard would look enough like Howard to make it believable. I did hear, however, that we will see the boyfriend.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread