+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree867Likes

Thread: Big Bang Theory

Re: Big Bang Theory

If Sheldon had to pay his own rent, he wouldn't be able to afford all those collectors items...lol. But yeah, Raj has his own place, too.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I have no idea why I try so hard to figure out the budgets of tv characters :p
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

the whole roommate thing is bogus - they're both Drs with great jobs at a university.

the whole concept of Leonard staying in that situation is laughable- roommate agreement anyone.....

If Penny being a Cheesecake factory waitress living on her own is the barometer for affordability, Leonard & Sheldon coudl easily have their own apts.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Five years ago, they were mid-twenties, at the beginning of their careers, and a roommate made sense. Now Sheldon couldn't afford to pay all the people he would need to in order to do what Leonard does for him. Leonard wouldn't be living across from Penny, which he really wants to do. And that is why they are still roommates.
    Hyper, JavaJo and AlwaysVeg like this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    If Sheldon had to pay his own rent, he wouldn't be able to afford all those collectors items...lol. But yeah, Raj has his own place, too.
    Yes, but Raj's parents are loaded and it sounds like they give him some money. (based off my recollection of the show - though I don't think it's been explicitly said, just implied)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    I figured maybe Sheldon had a load of student debt?
    Students in Ph.D. programs don't have much in the way of debt. Generally their tuition is covered and they are given a stipend, for which they act as teaching assistants or research assistants. In a field like Sheldon's they would be particularly well paid (vs., say, English). I suppose he might have debt left from being an undergraduate. However since he finished his Ph.D. he's almost certainly been a postdoctoral fellow (again a decent pay, especially for someone who lives like Sheldon), and now he's a faculty member. Since he's not cashing those pay checks I'm not sure WHAT he's living off of!
    FYI Students in MA or MS programs, such as a certain astronaut was, may have to pay their own tuition and support themselves....it varies, but in general if you are just in an MA program, that is, the MA is the end degree, not something you pick up along the way in your PhD program, you have to support yourself and pay tuition.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

I'd be broke just on their take-out bill! They eat out every night. lol And Penny never pays her way, Leonard usually foots her bill.
    Little Sew&Sew and JavaJo like this.

People its a show!! lol!
    Florimel and tears.and.rain like this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    OOPs! Thanks to Marlena_M for the vanity card link!
    Oh you are most welcome! DH and I have been enjoying the Vanity Cards for years now and it's nice to introduce more people to them

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Students in Ph.D. programs don't have much in the way of debt. Generally their tuition is covered and they are given a stipend, for which they act as teaching assistants or research assistants. In a field like Sheldon's they would be particularly well paid (vs., say, English). I suppose he might have debt left from being an undergraduate.
    I think whether doctoral students end up with debt depends one where they get their degree. My BIL finished without any meaningful debt. However, I know of many people who graduated with Ph.D.'s, including myself who ended up with $100,000 of student debt...and I graduated in the 20th century. My tuition was covered but my stipend of $800 per month wasn't nearly enough to cover living expenses in the expensive east coast city where I lived along with the cost for books, photocopying articles (this was pre-internet), etc. Annually, I didn't take out what seemed like big loans, but they added up over the seven years it took to finish my degree. (I'm on the 30-year repayment plan...some people buy a house, I bought advanced education...)

At the well-regarded private university where I currently teach, none of the doctoral students receive full support and none receive tuition remission. Unfortunately, it was founded at the turn of the 20th century when most of the students (at this university) were trust funders who didn't need any kind of financial support and that legacy has been slow to change with modern realities.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled discussion about Big Bang Theory

+ Reply to Thread