+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 82 FirstFirst ... 15555657585960616263646566676869707172737475 ... LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Private Practice

Re: Private Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I have read that there are laws that regulate the harvesting of organs for tranplant. Most states subscribe to this national standard. They require that a baby be found to be brain dead to harvest organs. The problem with babies with the condition Amelia's baby had is that the brain stem actually prevents the brain death finding. The baby usually survives for days before the stem will qualify for brain death and by then the organs have usually been damaged. I posted a link for this upthread. I'll try to find another one. I have read some very critical comments from people who had babies like Amelia and they say it is not possible to harvest organs from those babies. So while Amelia may have requested it, it was doctors who made the call. Sooner or later, those doctors are going to not be able to get medical malpractice insurance, due to their blantant disregard of the law. Oh, I forgot. IT's just a tv show. LOL
    You are very correct. It is those of us in charge of the patient's care who are responsible to do the right thing, now my feelings would say, yes you should be able to use your anencephalic baby as an organ donor if you wish and that that man should have been able to get pulled off life support since it was his wishes, but my job is to not to treat my patients however I want just because I feel it is right. There are things called laws and ethics, and the laws suck at times, but you still have to follow them. Plus, I don't look good in orange and I worked too hard for my medical career to just throw it all away because I thought I was all powerful and that my degree gave me a liscence to do whatever the heck I wanted. As of right now, you are correct that anencephalic babies are not suitable organ donors. Honestly, none of these doctors would have jobs or be able to get an insurance company that would touch them....
    ilja and Debb70 like this.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I was surprised Charlotte said to go ahead even though the lawyers had not signed off on it.
    WrigleyDogA2 and Debb70 like this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Because somebody had to do the only thing that made sense.

We treat our animals better, and with more compassion, than we treat our fellow human beings.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Because somebody had to do the only thing that made sense.

We treat our animals better, and with more compassion, than we treat our fellow human beings.
    It's not a matter of doing what makes sense. There's such a thing as LAWS and without them society becomes anarchy. I was not making a judgement about whether what Charlotte did was right or wrong, merely expressing surprise that *Charlotte* (who is often, though not always, the voice of following procedure) went ahead even when the lawyers had not signed off on it.
    causingchaos and Debb70 like this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

And I was expressing admiration for her character's decision.

Rules are made to be broken, and that's how better laws are eventually formed. Seldom are laws/rules staunchly adhered to.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

You see Sam down on his knee proposing, and the other guy driving over with the flowers and food, and then it flashes to her shrink's office and she's smiling and making some generic comment that doesn't tell you what happened.

The one thing that really worries me about the way these doctors continually violate doctor/patient confidentiality, is that some real patients, especially teens, may thnk that REAL doctors would do this....so they will lie to their doctors and not get good care, or avoid going altogether.
    The other thing that bothers me is they don't seem to have many qualms about violating the rules...Charlotte looks like some kind of fuddy duddy for enforcing them. In general the rules are there fora reason, and can be worked around---e.g., Pete talking more to the dad when he's in less a state of shock.
    The donation issue for babies like this one is one that the AMA probably should reconsider periodically, but in most cases the rules usually work to the benefit of the patient. Pete's patient should have had the foresight to draw up legal papers---it wasn't as if it was a surprise, or as if he didn't know how his dad felt.
    Kudos to the actress playing Amelia...that was heartwrenching, and to do it while you are pregnant....wow.
    Debb70 likes this.

Casting spoiler for next season:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    It looks like Pete and Violet won't be reconciling OR, if they do, they'll be leaving town together to do it. So far, only Tim Daly is out, but I wouldn't be surprised if more cast members follow....and I wouldn't be disappointed if Amy Brenneman left, since Pete was the only good thing about Violet. I'm sad that I won't get to look at Tim Daly every week

Tim Daly Leaving Private Practice, Sources Confirm - E! Online
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Awwww, thanks Critical. Not sure how I feel about that but I appreciate you passing it along
    Debb70 likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Casting spoiler for next season:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    It looks like Pete and Violet won't be reconciling OR, if they do, they'll be leaving town together to do it. So far, only Tim Daly is out, but I wouldn't be surprised if more cast members follow....and I wouldn't be disappointed if Amy Brenneman left, since Pete was the only good thing about Violet. I'm sad that I won't get to look at Tim Daly every week

Tim Daly Leaving Private Practice, Sources Confirm - E! Online
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo!!!!!!
    That was pretty much my reaction!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread