+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 82 FirstFirst ... 12525354555657585960616263646566676869707172 ... LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Private Practice

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Re: Private Practice

Quote Originally Posted by march View Post
    Help - my power went out last night and i only got 1/2 of the show. Saw right up until Amilia went to Talk to Sheldon in his office. What happens next?
    Quick summary: Pete takes the guy off life support - against his father's wishes - and Pete gets arrested for murder
    Addison makes Sam be either fully in or fully out - and by his inability to say anything he's out. She then kisses Jake
    Jake tells Amelia about his wife (died of an overdose) and urges her to not go that route - she doesn't
    Violet decides that she wants to save her marriage and then watches Pete get arrested

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2 View Post
    Quick summary: Pete takes the guy off life support - against his father's wishes - and Pete gets arrested for murder
    Addison makes Sam be either fully in or fully out - and by his inability to say anything he's out. She then kisses Jake
    Jake tells Amelia about his wife (died of an overdose) and urges her to not go that route - she doesn't
    Violet decides that she wants to save her marriage and then watches Pete get arrested
    Hmmmm, serving time in prison . . . listening to Violet . . . serving time in prison . . . listening to Violet . . . serving time in prison . . . listening to Violet . . . serving time in prison . . . listening to Violet . . . serving time in prison . . . listening to Violet . . . serving time in prison . . . listening to Violet . . . serving time in prison . . . listening to Violet . . . serving time in prison . . . listening to Violet . . . serving time in prison . . . listening to Violet . . . serving time in prison . . . listening to Violet . . .

decisions, decisions . . .

do these stripes make my butt look big?

Quote Originally Posted by ilja View Post
    Hmmmm, serving time in prison . . . listening to Violet . . . serving time in prison . . . listening to Violet . . . serving time in prison . . . listening to Violet . . . serving time in prison . . . listening to Violet . . . serving time in prison . . . listening to Violet . . . serving time in prison . . . listening to Violet . . . serving time in prison . . . listening to Violet . . . serving time in prison . . . listening to Violet . . . serving time in prison . . . listening to Violet . . . serving time in prison . . . listening to Violet . . .

decisions, decisions . . .

do these stripes make my butt look big?
    LOVE IT! I can see why Pete would rather go to prison or spend many years in a South American country than listen to Violet. The woman grates my nerves so bad. She did know her stuff about the transgendered child though. That's good.

Ref. the Pete situation. It's sad that the non-planning of that patient, could result in the doctor losing his license and going to prison. I don't think it's worth it to do that for someone who did not make proper arrangements. Any adult in a committed relationship with someone they are not related to knows this.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    LOVE IT! I can see why Pete would rather go to prison or spend many years in a South American country than listen to Violet. The woman grates my nerves so bad. She did know her stuff about the transgendered child though. That's good.

Ref. the Pete situation. It's sad that the non-planning of that patient, could result in the doctor losing his license and going to prison. I don't think it's worth it to do that for someone who did not make proper arrangements. Any adult in a committed relationship with someone they are not related to knows this.
    From where I'm sitting the possibility of Pete losing his license and/or going to prison is directly related to Pete's actions. It's a person's choice to, or not to, make provisions for how they want their end-of-life situation treated. This person, for whatever reason, didn't have a written plan. Sam, Charlotte and Pete all were involved in his care and were aware that no provision existed... but only Pete behaved unprofessionally and put his career on the line. In my opinion, Pete's outcome isn't because the patient had "failed to plan" as they say... it because of what Pete chose to do. This wasn't an accident, this wasn't a mistake, this wasn't a slip-up... this was a conscious act, a deliberate decision on Pete's part. Being a responsible adult involves accepting the outcome of your decisions.
    Last edited by Critical; 05-16-2012 at 12:58 AM. Reason: removing color text tags
    combatcutie, JunkieGirl and ilja like this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I have learned that, in real life, facing your own mortality can be very difficult, and it's not unusual to delay, delay, delay making wills, signing advanced directives, and DNR forms. I had a friend whose mother wanted a DNR (she had cancer everywhere, but was still up and about doing her everyday thing), he came to me. I got him one and decided to read it. I didn't even know this woman, but it was a really difficult read. It took me forever to get through it because I had to keep putting it down...it became very emotional. I gave it to him, with the suggestion that he might want to read it, and that it was really "heavy". I was even "shook" when I handed it to him, while he stood there with a silly smile. I knew what he was in for, when he read it; he and his mother were very close. We never had any further discussion about it again. I don't know whether she signed it or not. It is not a simple thing.

I've had several times to sign a directive, and I haven't done it yet, but I know what I want. Anymore, when you go anywhere for just about any kind of test, they ask if you have an advanced directive. How many of us can say "Yes."?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    From where I'm sitting the possibility of Pete losing his license and/or going to prison is directly related to Pete's actions. It's a person's choice to, or not to, make provisions for how they want their end-of-life situation treated. This person, for whatever reason, didn't have a written plan. Sam, Charlotte and Pete all were involved in his care and were aware that no provision existed... but only Pete behaved unprofessionally and put his career on the line. In my opinion, Pete's outcome isn't because the patient had "failed to plan" as they say... it because of what Pete chose to do. This wasn't an accident, this wasn't a mistake, this wasn't a slip-up... this was a conscious act, a deliberate decision on Pete's part. Being a responsible adult involves accepting the outcome of your decisions.
    Oh, I don't excuse Pete's actions at all. I'm just saying that is a shame that it came down to that. Pete could have followed policy and the law, but he chose to allow the poor planning on the part of the patient to put him in grave danger. It was a poor choice IMO. It's like Pete thought the patient and his partner's feelings and wishes, were more important than his own life and family.

My problem with what Pete did isn't just that he broke the law, but that he could have likely gotten the same result legally with a little more effort. The father seemed to accept what happened after the fact, so how difficult would it have been to sit him down and have a serious talk with him about the situation? If he wouldn't listen to Pete, why not ask Charlotte to speak with him? I can't imagine that many people would want their loved ones kept alive indefinitely if there was no hope of them ever coming back. Maybe I'm wrong in that, but I don't think so.

I know it was all for dramatic effect, but it still annoyed me.
    ilja likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The problem I have with Pete's "wrong" choice is that they never make a "right" choice on this show. I don't expect it to be real and I expect drama but shoot any regular hospital that had this percentage of "wrong" choices and so rarely a right choice would have long since been sanctioned if not shut down. I would feel it would almost be more dramatic if they started making the right choices and just had an occasional wrong choice in that practice.
    ilja and Debb70 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    The problem I have with Pete's "wrong" choice is that they never make a "right" choice on this show. I don't expect it to be real and I expect drama but shoot any regular hospital that had this percentage of "wrong" choices and so rarely a right choice would have long since been sanctioned if not shut down. I would feel it would almost be more dramatic if they started making the right choices and just had an occasional wrong choice in that practice.
    I'd argue that Sheldon does the right thing most of the time (I can't think of times when he hasn't, but I'm sure there are). Of course, he then gets vilified and yelled at, but he does do the right thing! So far, Jake is pretty much doing the right thing and Charlotte too. No one is perfect, obviously, and if they all did the right thing all the time, the show wouldn't have as much drama.
    canadian_angel likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2 View Post
    Thanks appreciate it.

+ Reply to Thread