+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 82 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425262728293031323334353637383979 ... LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Private Practice

Re: Private Practice

I get where Naomi is coming from. My best friend started dating my ex after we broke up once. She isn't my best friend anymore. It just really made me doubt if things were ever real between us. I was really young but I had the exact same feelings as Naomi and I went through my mind every time they talked together - every thing he said about her and her about him etc. I dated him for 6 months and there was plenty for me to go over in my brain - so for Naomi she has 20 years of stuff to question. Plus Sam and Addison have said that they did flirt in college - so Naomi's question of if she was the second choice seems to have some validity.

Also, Sam got mad at Naomi last year for dating someone that he was friends with and told her that she could at least go out with people he didn't know - seems to me that Sam is being a bit hypocritical.

Now -Naomi does annoy me but I get her point of view.

I would like to see Addison with Pete - he seems her best chance for normalcy but they need to get past Sam and Violet first.

Quote Originally Posted by cape;3864178;
    I would like to see Addison with Pete - he seems her best chance for normalcy but they need to get past Sam and Violet first.
    I wouldn't mind it as long as they're not still pining for Sam and Violet. I don't want it to be a "love the one you're with" thing. I'd love to see Violet get it together enough to be a mother, at least. It's been so sad watching her go through the aftermath of the attack and not being able to bond with her child.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I agree with you all about Naomi and Maya---I did see one of those epissodes, just an over the top response. OK, yes, your first response, but I fail to see how at least trying the marriage is not better than trying to raise a child on her own, which seemed to be what Naomi was going for. The father of the child seemed like a nice boy, and his mom seemed supportive....it could have been much worse. You have to think of the baby as well... better to know both parents even if eventually they grow apart. The one thing I would be saying in N's place is that she better not get pregnant again any time soon!
    One thing I did not like about the wheelchair guy... he obviously knew about the ALS before he slept with N., and in a way used the fact that that guy had just up and gone to Switzerland to create a wedge between him and N.--so she wouldn't feel bad about "cheating" on him. If I had had a sort of relationship with someone who then just took off for Europe without even telling me he was leaving the country I'd think I'd misinterpreted the whole thing as well. So kind of sleazy not to tell her the truth BEFORE they slept together....obviously it would reduce his chances with her, but if he wants something serious with her don't start out be basically tricking her into bed.
    Re the ALS guy...yes, he should have told her if he was serious about her, but a lot of people/men take the approach of protecting someone they care about, or not wanting to be seen as sick, or not wanting to drag them into their mess... so there could be excuses for him. I don't see any for the wheelchair doc.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

I agree with whoever it was (critical?) that said they have been enjoying Private Practice more than Gray's. I feel the same way.

I also agree that I would love to see Sam and Addison together. But I can see Naomi's side also. Especially since we know that Sam asked Addison out first (I remember this from some episode), so she's not totally paranoid.

As for ALS guy...he creeps me out. It might just be me; but, I have always doubted his feelings for Naomi. He seems like the type of person to use someone to get what he wants. And what he wanted was his practice to start doing the ALS treatments on him. Now that that has been stopped, he doesn't need Naomi anymore, so he leaves with-out notice. Not that I think Fife is with-out fault (though I actually think that Pete should have been the one to tell Naomi about the ALS, since he knew and has known Naomi for longer).

As for Violet, I think that she needs to get herself fixed up and then be a mom for a while before she should even think about dating. (assuming that she wants to be a mother). Though I think she and Pete are a good couple.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I think that ALS guy's male pride is what led to him not telling anyone about his disease; guys don't want to appear weak, in any way. The only reason that Fife knew about it was from interacting with him and identifying his symptoms, and from their conversation. I also think it was somewhat unethical for him to tell Naomi about the disease, but I can understand him doing it. He had no right to reveal that man's medical problem, although I don't think he told her just to get in her pants. Sometimes, things just come out...but he was dead w-r-o-n-g.

And Naomi's reaction to Addison and Sam, I didn't find that to be any kind of overreaction at all. She had been dealing with emotional miseries left and right, and this was just one more thing added to her plate from people she loved. I would have been more surprised if she hadn't reacted in the way that she did. Sometimes, it's like dominoes; when one falls they all follow suit. I can see the freak out.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3864569;
    I think that ALS guy's male pride is what led to him not telling anyone about his disease; guys don't want to appear weak, in any way. The only reason that Fife knew about it was from interacting with him and identifying his symptoms, and from their conversation. I also think it was somewhat unethical for him to tell Naomi about the disease, but I can understand him doing it. He had no right to reveal that man's medical problem, although I don't think he told her just to get in her pants. Sometimes, things just come out...but he was dead w-r-o-n-g.

And Naomi's reaction to Addison and Sam, I didn't find that to be any kind of overreaction at all. She had been dealing with emotional miseries left and right, and this was just one more thing added to her plate from people she loved. I would have been more surprised if she hadn't reacted in the way that she did. Sometimes, it's like dominoes; when one falls they all follow suit. I can see the freak out.
    I was assuming he wasn't the ALS guy's doctor, but just an acquaintance (but as I said, I've missed a lot of shows). As an acquaintance he can tell Naomi, but as his doctor he can't. In either case I guess he can tell her the guy's left the country...although if he's his doctor maybe even that is a bit off if he learned it during a visit.
    From the boyfriend point of view I thought it was a bit off for him to tell her ALS guy left the country without telling her BEFORE they had sex, but to only tell her it was for medical treatment AFTER they had sex. He must have known that learning he had left to seek help would make her less likely to "cheat" on ALS guy, so that's why he didn't tell her...while letting her think he'd just left for fun or business without telling her would make her more likely to. So I think wheelchair doc was unethical on the boyfriend front in his behavior to Naomi.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3864646;
    I was assuming he wasn't the ALS guy's doctor, but just an acquaintance (but as I said, I've missed a lot of shows). As an acquaintance he can tell Naomi, but as his doctor he can't. In either case I guess he can tell her the guy's left the country...although if he's his doctor maybe even that is a bit off if he learned it during a visit.
    From the boyfriend point of view I thought it was a bit off for him to tell her ALS guy left the country without telling her BEFORE they had sex, but to only tell her it was for medical treatment AFTER they had sex. He must have known that learning he had left to seek help would make her less likely to "cheat" on ALS guy, so that's why he didn't tell her...while letting her think he'd just left for fun or business without telling her would make her more likely to. So I think wheelchair doc was unethical on the boyfriend front in his behavior to Naomi.
    Regarding the bolded: Fife is not ALS guy's doctor. ALS guy is Fife (and Naomi's) boss. ALS guys did, however, try to get the (his) practice to start doing (maybe just researching - I don't remember) a treatment for ALS that he needs. It was an ethically questionable treatment and Naomi, who had final say wasn't sure about then and then as soon as Fife and Pete found out that ALS guy wanted it for himself, they stopped backing the idea of this treatment. I tell you all this because I think that the ALS guy (who is a doctor) was on ethically uneven ground to begin with in pushing this treatment and not disclosing why.
    Last edited by WrigleyDogA2; 03-28-2010 at 08:01 PM.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

As I recall, Fife was up on the ALS research, when he discussed it with big boss. Fife figured out what was going on with big boss during the discussion; I think that what was going on in Europe hadn't been approved in the US yet. Big boss's secret was discovered by Fife. I'm not so sure that, ethically, the only person who is bound to keep your medical confidence is your personal doctor. I really would like to see this episode again. I didn't think that Fife told Naomi about the ALS after they had sex, but I could be wrong.

I love how everybody sees something different!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 03-28-2010 at 10:07 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3864770;
    As I recall, Fife was up on the ALS research, when he discussed it with big boss. Fife figured out what was going on with big boss during the discussion; I think that what was going on in Europe hadn't been approved in the US yet. Big boss's secret was discovered by Fife. I'm not so sure that, ethically, the only person who is bound to keep your medical confidence is your personal doctor. I really would like to see this episode again. I didn't think that Fife told Naomi about the ALS after they had sex, but I could be wrong.

Well, I could be wrong also, but I think not, as, since I didn't know any of the history (due to missing episodes), it was news to me first that he had left town and second that he had ALS, so I was pretty much with Naomi timewise when it came to finding out stuff.

Ryan ~ Reid ~ Roberto ryanfan4vr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3864770;

I thought it was Pete who tipped Fife off about William having ALS. William came to Pete to ask for alternative treatment for his ALS. Fife had some kind of break through for treatment and both Fife and William seemed to be rushing to start the clinical trial. Pete had concerns, but didn't feel right about going with it to Naomi because she was dating him...so he told Fife.

I thought he did tell her after they had sex...I can remember her sitting up with the the sheet held across her chest when he told her. Not saying that I can't be wrong, but his is what I remember.

+ Reply to Thread