+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cane (CBS)

Cane (CBS)

About the Show

CANE is an epic drama about the external rivalries and internal power struggles of a large Cuban-American family that owns a rum and sugar empire in South Florida. When the family patriarch, Pancho, is offered a lucrative but questionable deal by his bitter adversaries, the Samuels, to purchase thousands of acres of sugar fields, he's faced with a tough choice: Should he cash out of the sugar business and focus solely on rum, which would please his impulsive natural son, Frank, or protect the family legacy that he built from the ground up by not selling, and side with his adopted son, Alex, who mistrusts the Samuels and still sees value in sugar?

Alex and Frank's approach to business is as different as their approach to life. While Frank might lose focus chasing women, Alex is deeply in love with his beautiful wife, Isabel, who is also Pancho's daughter. Married when she was just 17 years old, Isabel balances Alex by choosing not to involve herself in the business, focusing instead on their three children, Jaime, Katie and Artie, who are determined to forge their own paths outside the family.

Jaime has a deep love for his father but also yearns to go his own way. When he's accepted to a reputable college he must face the decision to please Alex or stick by his beloved girlfriend Rebecca and choose a new life. Katie is their rebellious teenage daughter who looks and acts far older than she is.

Henry, Pancho's youngest son, prefers to stand in the sidelines while his oldest siblings battle for control of the Duque's interests. While her sons wrestle with their own personal difficulties and secrets, Pancho's wife, Amalia, attends to the normal inter-personal conflicts that occur within an extended family and bridges the gap between the three generations by hosting the family's large music-filled cookouts and lively dinners.

For the Duques, will family allegiance come first or will their secrets and acrimonious conflicts over love, lust and control of the family fortune, be their downfall?

Re: Cane (CBS)

I'm watching this now. It's not too bad. I don't know if it will make it, but it's an interesting show anyway.

I'm half watching because I love Jimmy Smits. I'm having a hard time getting into it though.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I'm taping it right now. I like Jimmy Smits - I hope it's a good show.

peachroses

I enjoyed the show... I loved the family dynamics and issues..... I love Hector Elizondo and hope he sticks around a bit longer... I also love Jimmy Smits.....
    Because I said so ....

I really wanted to like this show; it has an outstanding group of older cast members, Hector Elizondo, Rita Moreno, Jimmy Smits, and Ken Howard. I also liked the empahsis on the possibility of using sugar to replace oil.

But, the show just did not grab me. I kept thinking of it as a Cuban version of Dallas, and nobody did Dallas better than the original.

I'll definitely give it another try, but I am disappointed.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It definitely did not grab you, right out of the box, but I'm willing to give it time to build. I think it has potential. I really want it to succeed. Is the old man hanging around the baseball field Jimmy's father, I wonder?? I know he is the person who is thought to have killed Hector's little girl.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

It's a bit too dark and gritty for me. I've already made considerable concessions for Prison Break in that area. I like all the characters and actors for the most part but I'm very distracted by the permanent eyeliner on Nestor Carbonell. I'll probably give it another try though.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You really think he is wearing permanent eyeliner?? I know several males with gorgeous eyes like that, and they haven't had that done (not in "the business"...no reason to do it). I've even seen little kids with eyes like that.

I love, love, love dark and gritty!!!! Something has got to take The Sopranos place in my life!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

thought it was ok, it's hard to have really good pilots for shows like this

i will decide after a couple more episodes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast