+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Life - NBC

Life - NBC

From Rand Ravich ("The Austronugt's Wife"), Far Shariat ("Confessions of a Dangerous Mind") and David Sernel, who directed the pilot of NBC's "Heroes", "Life" is a new drama about a detective who is given a second chance. Damian Lewis stars as complex, offbeat Detective Charlie Crews, who returns to the force after uears in prison, thand to close friend and attorney Constance Griffiths, after serving time in prision for a crime he didn't commit.
    The cast also includes Sarah Shahi ("Rush Hour 3") as Charlie's skeptical, demanding partner, Robin Weigart ("Deadwood") as their hard-hitting lieutnenat, and Adam Arkin ("Chicago Hope")as former cellmate Ted Early.

Saw the pilot and I don't think this one is going to last... replace 'offbeat' with odd-ball and it's closer to the truth. Charlie's fruit fetish is a little weird.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Fanatic

Re: Life - NBC

That's too bad because this is actually one of the only new shows that I think looks any good.

I am hoping this one is a winner as well. I thought the previews looked promising.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

I saw the pilot and I have to agree with Duxxy. It's not that I didn't think it was a good show, but the lead character is very quirky. I'm not sure if the audience is going to want to root for him or be able to identify with him. That's pretty important in a show like this. If it doesn't get canceled immediately, I hope they do a little more to show us why he is the way he is. I know prison changes people, but this is a little more than the usual change, I think.

I enjoyed it once I just let myself go with it. Some of the things he did to interrogate people were amusing as soon as I got over how weird they were!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I actually liked the premiere. The lead guy is definitely quirky to say the least, but I think the show works. He fits with the show and the show itself is not bad at all.

I didn't hate it but can't say I love it right now either. I agree about the main character being an odd ball. If he was this strange before he went to prison then its little wonder why everyone thought he was guilty.

I thought it was promising at the beginning of the show, but for some reason it started losing my attention about half-way through and I wandered away to do other stuff. I may give it another chance, but it isn't a good sign when I choose washing dishes over watching this show....

I can't see Damien Lewis as anything other than Dick Winters (from the Band of Brothers series). Then again, he's the reason why I watched it. I thought it was ok. I'm hoping we see more about how he was framed sooner than later. I have a hunch the female Lt had a hand in his set-up.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Premium Member

Yeah, was he 'complex, offbeat' before prison? Or was the prison experience supposed to have been the trigger? They made sure to show the viewers that he read Zen books in prison, but most of his so-called zen moments now seemed more like entry level philosophical topics to me and awkward to listen to.

I wish they would drop the attempted moments of zen and have more uber detective skills situations (figuring out the dog clues, getting the kid to open up, the smelling of the marijuana, etc).

I just didn't like how it felt like he kept popping in and out of character - sometimes normal and almost likeable, right into where the heck did he get that behaviour trait from?? I couldn't keep up with his personality switches, too distracting for me.

I'll probably try and catch the next episode just to see if the actor manages to sort the character out.

While I am guessing Moonlight will get cancelled first, this show might just be the second new show of the Fall season to get the axe, unless they smooth it out and like quick.

A little too much Zen for me but I dig the show and will continue to watch. I love the quirky boys.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast