+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dr Phil

I can't watch him five days a week, it's overkill imo.

I was watching the John Walsh show and rather enjoying it until he had Rusty Yates on and basically kissed the guys butt.
    "That's Numberwang!"

The one thing I respect about Dr. Phil is from an article I read about him recently. No one is allowed on his show if they are or have received therapy, without a signed release from that therapist.

He knows that fixing someone's problems takes more than a few minutes on TV, and just wants to give these people the wake-up call they need to begin the process of getting on the right track.

Sometimes it takes bluntness to solve a problem.

John, I read that too, and thought it very wise on his part... just tells me that he is in it to help people, not for the money.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Russell Yates! Yikes! I don't know about you, but if I were in his shoes, I would not be so forgiving of his wife that slaughtered those beautiful children in cold blood. This case could be an entire topic in itself, I bet! I have more respect for David Smith, the husband of Susan Smith who claimed that her two little boys were kidnapped and then drove the car into the lake with the kids strapped in the carseats. I saw David on Larry King and you can just still see the pain in his eyes when he was talking about the kids and the anger when he spoke of his wife. In my opinion, David Smith has alot of courage and Russell Yates contributed to the deaths of his kids by simply not giving a hoot! As for John Walsh, sometimes John Walsh (and I have great respect for him) puzzles me. His demeanor seems to be changing since he has this talk show. Did you hear that Reve has filed for a divorce from him recently?

I only saw the show once, it was about women wanting to meet "Mr. Right" Re: places to meet men, he said
    "Get a puppy and walk it, or go to Home Depot, they're EVERYwhere." Too funny. I haven't caught it again though cause I'm usually in class at that time.

mimimimi

Dr. Phil

When I had a week's vacation, I got hooked and actually started to tape the shows when I went back to work, but thankfully I'm over that now.

They did a two-parter on a 17-year-old girl who kept running away from home and was living in a disgusting place with her 25-year-old boyfriend. Her mom told her she could either go on Dr. Phil or go to jail. It ended with the girl saying she would go back home. Happy ending. Turns out in a follow-up show the girl ran away again. She asked to be able to live with her aunt. Instead, her mom had her thrown in jail.

This is one of those stories that made me yell at the TV because IMO it was the mother who was the problem. Dr. Phil did tell the mom to stop preaching and start talking, but he should have focused more on what was causing the girl to run away. Kids don't turn out bad on their own, they're made that way, IMO.

I tend to agree with you Mimi. Communication problems are the major source of problems in a family, I think.

I watch the occasional episode, I just can't watch it everyday.
    I saw one a week or so ago about child pageants.
    I know this subject has been done to death on talk shows, but it was till interesting.

They then showed pictures from a web site that a mother had created for her 12 year old daughter.
    Virtually every shot had the kid in a skimpy bikini and most of the poses were like a soft core shoot just before the model takes her top off.
    It was disturbing to think that the mother of the child is running the site and that she thinks there's nothing wrong with it.
    "That's Numberwang!"

i saw that portion of the epi, fluff. disturbing indeed.

I hate him soooo much!

I read that he is controlling and VERY abusive to his staff. Most of his staff quit before the show went on the air.
    He actually sits in EVERY seat in the audience before the tapings to make sure the view of him is just right.

Most of the stuff he says is just utter psychobabble crap.

He does make for some excellent humor though. My favirote is a when a couple of radio DJ's did a prank phone in usind a soundboard of Dr. Phil.
    Here's the board they used:
    http://www.ebaumsworld.com/drphil.html

And here's the call:

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/index.php?e=drphil1.mp3

She sort of proves that his advice is crap because she really gets into and agrees with the nonsense from the soundboard.

Good times !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast