+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Pushing Daisies on ABC

CCL

Re: Pushing Daisies - ABC takes a risk on Bryan Fuller & Barry Sonnenfeld

The quirkiness of the show reminded me a lot of the movie Amelie. I liked the narration myself though I can see why it would annoy others.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2599137;
    When Ned brought his mother back to life, she had no idea anything had happened other than that she was on the floor, and she said "oh, I must have tripped, did the buzzer go off? (about her pie)", then went on without skipping a beat, never being aware that she had just been dead.

Yet in the rest of the show, when Ned brought anyone back to life, they immediately knew they had been dead and were now alive again. (No word yet on whether the dog was aware of it or not )

Anyway, it's just an inconsistency that makes me wonder about the strength of the show's writing team.
    Maybe his mom didn't realise she'd been dead since her last memory was of standing in the kitchen. The first guys last memory was of his secretary siccing her dog on him. The last memory of the two women were of having plastic bags put over their heads. Makes sense to me that his mom didn't realise she'd just suffered from a brain aneurysm.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf;2599527;
    Maybe his mom didn't realise she'd been dead since her last memory was of standing in the kitchen. The first guys last memory was of his secretary siccing her dog on him. The last memory of the two women were of having plastic bags put over their heads. Makes sense to me that his mom didn't realise she'd just suffered from a brain aneurysm.
    That is how I kinda explained it to myself

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf;2599527;
    Hmm, I can't quite accept that explanation. Well, what I mean is... that could be an explanation if the writers had included it. But they didn't, and it leaves a hole in the logic of the concept. If you want the viewers to buy into it, a good writing staff should plug holes like that is all I'm saying.

The guy that Emerson had been chasing jumped (when it showed how he and Ned met), died quickly, bounced off Ned and came back to life, all within a second or two and he knew he had become alive again. To just think that Ned's mom wouldn't have remembered when everyone else appears to isn't logical without the writers coming up with some plausible explanation and including it as part of the viewing package. If they did, but the film editors left it on the cutting room floor, then it's their fault. But either way, it's a hole in the story as shown on tv.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2599811;
    The guy that Emerson had been chasing jumped (when it showed how he and Ned met), died quickly, bounced off Ned and came back to life, all within a second or two and he knew he had become alive again. To just think that Ned's mom wouldn't have remembered when everyone else appears to isn't logical without the writers coming up with some plausible explanation and including it as part of the viewing package. If they did, but the film editors left it on the cutting room floor, then it's their fault. But either way, it's a hole in the story as shown on tv.
    My guess is that the guy who fell off the building knew he was dead simply because he fell off a building . He was pretty high up so he had to know he was a goner. Whereas Ned's mom just hit the floor like she might have passed out. I can see why she wouldn't know she had died.

I thought the show was cute but certainly not the big ta-do the critics were raving about. I can't really invest in too many hour long shows either while I'm in school so I don't know if this will be regular viewing for me.

It doesn't seem like I'd be missing much either if I miss an episode here or there. Someone dies, Ned touches them to get the facts, he retouches them so they die (with probably a few episodes here and there where someone doesn't get touched again in time and someone else dies instead or they get away without being touched again), Blonde chick gets jealous of Chuck, Ned and Chuck have close calls of almost touching, and that's pretty much it in a nutshell. And the narration will get on my nerves fast, especially the down to the minute (or is it second?) of people's ages.

I like all the actors pretty much but my tv plate is already pretty full. Since this show got so much hype it will probably make it through the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2599888;
    My guess is that the guy who fell off the building knew he was dead simply because he fell off a building . He was pretty high up so he had to know he was a goner. Whereas Ned's mom just hit the floor like she might have passed out. I can see why she wouldn't know she had died.
    You people stop trying to make logical sense out of an illogical show! Do you understand you're trying to convince me it's all perfectly natural that some people do or don't remember that they were dead and are now alive?

No, but seriously... perhaps I haven't made my point clear. I understand that there could be a hundred 'reasons' for the discrepancy. The point I'm trying to make is that the writers should have included their version of an explantion, rather than not addressing it. To me, that's a sign of weak writing.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Fogey

It's good to see a show with a similar feel to Dead Like Me make it to broadcast tv.

My interpretation was that his mother didn't know she had been dead because her revival was almost instantaneous. There wasn't time for her to realize what had happened. The others had been dead for a while before Ned revived them.

But then, I have little problem with suspending reality in science fiction/fantasy type shows. Much of what was once science fiction is now reality. While scientists think they know all there is to know about physics and what is possible and what isn't, I think there is probably more to still learn than is already known.

In any case, I find his an entertaining show and fun to view.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I think I am loving this show.......and I'd love to have this particular power!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by John;2597928;
    Oh, I wanted to like this show. But I didn't, and I'm not giving this one another shot.
    Glad to know I am not the ONLY one who didn't like this show..I just didn't get it....and it seemed really weird to me..

and the truth be told..I haven't really seen much of ANYTHING new this season that has really stood out like we have had in the past couple years with Lost and Heros..etc...I can live with Bionic woman and Moonlight (I still think Angel and Buffy were better) but its not something I think I will HAVE to watch...Life is not nearly as good as I was hoping it would be....Chuck didn't hold my interest....I say bring back "Big Love" "Kyle XY" and I am ready for Men in Trees...
    Last edited by ButterflyFaery; 10-07-2007 at 10:20 PM.
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

+ Reply to Thread