+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Pushing Daisies on ABC

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Re: Pushing Daisies - ABC takes a risk on Bryan Fuller & Barry Sonnenfeld

It was very quirky at first and I really DO NOT like the narration which I find extremely distracting (it reminds me of a Dr. Seuss book or something equally off the wall)... that said, however, it's a sweet little show. I laughed out loud in a few parts and the guy who plays Ned is just so endearing how can ya not like him Glad to see Chi McBride in a different kind of role... he's awfully versatile. I'll keep my timer set and look forward to next week

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Chi McBride was the main reason I wanted to make sure and watch this one....I love him!!! Hopefully I can remember to catch it next time...
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I loved this show. ABC is doing well with getting me hooked this season
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I'm not really sure how I feel about this show yet. Like others have mentioned, I don't really like the narration (and the giving of ages down to years/days/months/etc got old real fast), but I suppose it's possible that might just be a temporary device to get the initial story out there for viewers. But except for the first few minutes while Ned was still a boy, it really wasn't needed.

The thing is, I don't know if this is a story that can really stand up as a series. Touch a dead person, bring them back to life for one minute, ask a question, touch them and kill them again or someone else in the vicinity dies. Interesting concept that might be a good movie, or even mini-series, but as a weekly show? The writing just didn't seem strong enough to keep the concept fresh and entertaining every week. Tonight's show had some good moments, but also had some dull and uninspired moments.

So I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Regular

I caught the first bits of the show .. and from what I saw, it was excellent. I'm definitely going to be recording this show

LG.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2598756;
    The thing is, I don't know if this is a story that can really stand up as a series. Touch a dead person, bring them back to life for one minute, ask a question, touch them and kill them again or someone else in the vicinity dies. Interesting concept that might be a good movie, or even mini-series, but as a weekly show?
    This was actually almost exactly the plot in the first episode of Torchwood (on BBCA, the Doctor Who spinoff) that aired just a couple weeks ago. I was like "how many touching dead people to bring them back to life shows do we need right now" but on Torchwood it's some creepy handlike device they use, and their "reanimation" only lasts 10 minutes - none of Ned's other complications. I'm sure every week Ned will almost touch the dog and/or Chuck.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Premium Member

I completely agree with Nemeses that while I liked the narration, the giving of ages down to years/days/months/etc got old real fast. Still not even sure being that specific about age was relevant?

And also agreed - is the premise enough for a weekly series? The premiere was interesting enough because he brought his childhood crush back to life, but the storyline of them trying to solve a crime was far less entertaining. Thinking that we will eventually tire of his ability to bring people back to life, and then what?

I did enjoy the Tim Burton feel to it - the colours used, the set design, camera angles, music - all very cool and totally worked for this show.

I'll be curious to see the direction the show takes, so I'll probably check out at least the next few episodes to find out. And not just entirely because I am digging the actress who plays Chuck. But mostly, heh.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

That's it!!!! I just figured out the narration reminds me of the Walgreens commercials!

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by LG.;2598935;
    This was actually almost exactly the plot in the first episode of Torchwood (on BBCA, the Doctor Who spinoff) that aired just a couple weeks ago. I was like "how many touching dead people to bring them back to life shows do we need right now" but on Torchwood it's some creepy handlike device they use, and their "reanimation" only lasts 10 minutes - none of Ned's other complications.
    Are you serious, LG? Another show with the same basic premise? Oh, that makes me laugh at myself, since I was giving some credit at least to Pushing Daisies for at least being a unique tv show idea -- now it seems they aren't so unique after all!

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M
    That's it!!!! I just figured out the narration reminds me of the Walgreens commercials!
    Oh my goodness, you know you're right! That guy sounds EXACTLY like the Walgreen's voice-over guy!

ETA: I was just leaving when suddenly hit me about the show that I found inconsistent in the show...

When Ned brought his mother back to life, she had no idea anything had happened other than that she was on the floor, and she said "oh, I must have tripped, did the buzzer go off? (about her pie)", then went on without skipping a beat, never being aware that she had just been dead.

Yet in the rest of the show, when Ned brought anyone back to life, they immediately knew they had been dead and were now alive again. (No word yet on whether the dog was aware of it or not )

Anyway, it's just an inconsistency that makes me wonder about the strength of the show's writing team.
    Last edited by Nemeses; 10-04-2007 at 02:46 PM.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

It didn't keep my interest - I ended up changing the channel.

+ Reply to Thread