+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Damages on FX

Damages on FX

Wow! Not since "Lost" has any pilot show kept my attention riveted as "Damages" did last night. It will be repeated several times during the week, and I highly recommend it. The pilot is shown without commercials.

Glenn Close plays a high-powered, stop-at-nothing, attorney who has taken on a class action suit for employees of a multi-billion dollar company whose CEO has apparently cost his employees everything they have in an Enron-type move. As expected, her performance will take your breath away. Ted Danson as the billionaire is also excellent.

Other cast members include Rose Byrne, Tate Donovan, Michael Nouri, Zeljko Ivanek, among others.

This is not really a legal or criminal procedural show. It is more like a psychological drama. It uses flash-back, flash-forward techiques.
    You think you know who is good and evil, you think you know what is going on, but as things unfold, you change your mind. More than once. At the end of the pilot, you can only guess.

To recap any more of the episode would spoil it, I think.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Re: Damages on FX

Wow, I agree. It's gritty and unpredictable. Pretty raw for TV, but that is what makes it so unique. Can't wait to see where this goes!
    No matter where you go, there you are.

I enjoyed the pilot. Glenn Close was great. The season is going to be really different than what I was expecting, but that could a good thing. We need something unique.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I loved the pilot If the rest of the series is even HALF as intriguing as the pilot, this will be one of the best shows ever.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

I just caught up on the second show last night and I have to say that it was still just as fascinating as the pilot.

This is the best acting that I think I've seen from Ted Danson. Last night it was terrific to see the complexity of emotions that he was able to convey simply through his eyes... just incredibly believable.

Glenn Close is classic Glenn Close. I love her skill as equally as I hate her characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2500414;
    I just caught up on the second show last night and I have to say that it was still just as fascinating as the pilot.

This is the best acting that I think I've seen from Ted Danson. Last night it was terrific to see the complexity of emotions that he was able to convey simply through his eyes... just incredibly believable.

Glenn Close is classic Glenn Close. I love her skill as equally as I hate her characters.
    I couldn't agree more! The show has me completely mesmerized from beginning to end. So many subtle nuances that I have to really watch the show and not be doing something else at the same time. I love that about it... just pulls me in and holds me for the entire hour. I don't watch it during broadcast, I DVR it and watch that way... I can ff thru the commercials that would otherwise break my concentration Ted Danson captivates me... completely. This is the best role I've seen him in and I relish all of his scenes. You're right about the range of emotions he conveys without a single spoken word. Rose Byrne is new to me... but she has really impressed me in this role. And Glenn Close is as phenomenal as ever. I've always thought she was a better actress than Meryl Streep only not as versatile. Always love her work... and usually hate her characters! LOL

I have no idea where this show is going... but I'm hanging on for the ride.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

This show is great! I hope it doesn't get canceled (like "The Nine" etc.)! I want to see how this all plays out...

I agree. Another outstanding episode.

I am not surprised by Ted Danson's performance. I remember him in a very dramatic role as a sexually abusive father in "Something About Amelia." Actors as handsome as he often have their talent underestimated.

Glenn Close brings such strength and depth to her roles without ever "chewing the scenery." She is quietly commanding. Many people are unaware that she is also an accomplished Broadway muscial theather actress.

Excellent summer fare. I'm not sure how many episdoes have been shot. I have heard that if it goes to another season, the story will revolve around a new case.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Did any of you ever watch "Murder One"? This reminds me of that in the storytelling...

I never actually thought Ted Danson was handsome. But I've always enjoyed his acting...I was more used to him as a comic actor though.

Yes, Glenn Close is a wonderful Broadway musical theater actress. I'll never forget seeing her in Sunset Boulevard... her Norma Desmond was fabulous!!!

I think Florimel is right about handsome actors / actresses being underestimated. Ted Danson has always been handsome in my book. He was hawt as Sam Malone and his silvery hair as Frobisher is a great look. Still hawt after all these years

Lois Lane : Yes, I loved Murder One... it remains one of my favorite shows of all time (season 1 with "Teddy Hoffman", though I did enjoy season 2 with Anthony LaPaglia even though the pacing was different). Oh, and btw, "The Nine" is being shown on ABC at 10pm on Wednesdays... they're finishing off the episodes that were unaired and it just started 8/1. Check it out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast