+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Saving Grace (TNT) - Holly Hunter...

Stickers spits nickels... PK...'s Avatar

Saving Grace (TNT) - Holly Hunter...

Did anyone catch this last night?

I'm thinking Hmmm..... I'm not sure if I like it or not... Interesting premise, I guess...

It's pretty gritty, and Holly is looking a little old. But I don't know how old she is supposed to be... Hah... I will give it another shot next week...

The angel named EARL is a kick, though, and I have liked the male lead for a long time - though I don't know his name...

;0))

PK
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

Re: Saving Grace (TNT) - Holly Hunter...

I watched it, and it was past my bedtime.
    Guess I'll be getting to bed later on Mondays now.

I love HH - and think it will calm down with the grittiness a little now that the storyline has been established.

Love Earl.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Holly Hunter is usually one of my favorite actresses... and Kenneth Johnson is a huge fave of mine from when he played Lem on The Shield. But this show (at least the pilot episode) really underwhelmed me. The casting was really off.. either that or the characters are just worthless. Laura SanGiacomo has aged about 25 years since she was on Just Shoot Me (which wrapped merely 4 years ago). Holly's Grace (so far) has no redeeming values... and my sweetie Kenny Johnson's character Ham is awful. I don't see this show doing well... but who knows, it might prove me wrong

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Marlena_M...

You voiced many of my sentiments...

Prior to the Shield, I watched Johnson on Pensacola "whatever"... He was my favorite guy on that show... I was pleased to see him turn up on the shield, and even more pleased to see him on Saving Grace... But durn... I think the show will have to improve a LOT this week for me to stick around... Gimmicks like funny angels with wings, are not something I care to watch unless the story lines have a lot to offer...

I am waiting...

AND... I kept backing up to see if that REALLY WAS SanGiacomo... She has either fallen apart, or had really excellent hair, makeup and lighting on her previous show...

I have no problem with her appearance, other than she looked SO different on Shoot Me... Only 4 years??? ACK!

;0))

PK

did you see The Last Stand.
    Poor Laura went through a lot in that movie.

Holly Hunter was great. Almost everything else was crap.

It's pretty gritty, and Holly is looking a little old.
    Holly IS "a little old". She's close to 50 years old (the big 5-0 is next March according to her IMDB profile). So the fact that her body looks like it does in this show (and even her face isn't that bad) is actually pretty amazing. And I'd say she's playing this character as at least a decade younger than herself.

I'm very skeptical of "Angel shows" in general, but I did like that they scripted this character as rotten as they did. Sure, it makes it a bit of a climb for viewers to identify with her, but the way an actress does that is by charming them, despite the depravity of the character. And Holly did that pretty well.

This show is gonna need some pretty strong consistent writing though, because Holly Hunter can't drag it along each week based only on her high level of charisma. The Angel stuff should never be more than a "B" plot to something else happening. Our protagonist should continue to be a bit rotten, even if she stops the worst of her excess. The police procedural stuff actually needs to be accurate and interesting. Otherwise? I'll be watching The Closer for a second time in a row instead of bothering with this.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I checked out this show 'cause I saw a lot of ads for it, and because I really like Holly Hunter. She's a great actress. I just read this interview with her in this month's More Magazine, too, and she sounds like such a really awesome person. (And looks gorgeous in the pics with the article, too.) I like that she is so good at giving Grace layers - and making her appealing even though she has so many...let's call it less than admirable qualities.

I'm going to check it out against tonight and see how it does.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Uh-oh, there are two threads on this. The other is further up the page. Maybe the mods can merge them. My comments about the show are in the other thread. I wasn't too impressed.

Not impressed, the show seemed tired, slow and it dragged. I taped it and even fast forwarding the commercials did not help the pace of this show. I am all for quirky shows but this just lays flat. TNT got the premise right with The Closer but missed the mark with Saving Grace.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I hate to say it, but I did "try" to watch episode two, and simply turned it off after about 15 minutes...

Perhaps if there were no angel, and it was simply a gritty cop show featuring an older female cop sexing it up with her younger partner, it might have worked for me a bit longer....

I will stick with The Closer...

;0))

PK

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast