+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3334353637383940414243444546 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Chuck on NBC

Re: Chuck on NBC

Thanks for your input ! I read on another site that Zachary Levi is directing the next episode and therefore might have requested less to do in this episode. That might be one reason for the lack of Chuck screen time, but I still think that Chuck is acting out of character. On this same other site, several men posted that the more confident Chuck was just a facade, and he's still the same insecure geek on the inside who can't believe he really got the hot girl. They think this new direction is totally believeable. I guess I just never felt that Sarah was "out of his league". I always felt that Chuck just underestimated himself. Afterall, his previous girlfriend, Jill, wasn't exactly an ugly ducking wallflower. Overall, I think the whole problem is that NBC never seems to want to commit to this show. The last two seasons NBC has had the writers not knowing whether or not they'd be writing 9 or 13 shows or a full season's worth. It has to be hard to figure out the direction in which you want your show to go if you don't know how many episodes you have in which to get there. I'm relieved to see Mama Bartowski and Timothy Dalton in the previews for next week. It seems like the episodes with Chuck's mom have been the best ones this season. As far as Ellie getting the intersect from the computer in the car, I really don't think they'll go down that road with her being pregnant, I think the computer is going to give her some kind of message or code which eventually, hopefully, she'll tell Chuck about, and that will lead to a upgrade of the intersect for Chuck. Thank goodness for this board, it's a slow week at work, and I'm dying of boredom

CCL

The part I've liked least is Ellie insisting that Chuck give up being a spy. It just seems like a lot to ask. I understand she's worried about him, and it does give the, an excuse to use the whole "cloak of secrecy" scenario that spy shows like to use, but it just seems like an unreasonable thing for her to ask of him.

I agree with you about NBC and the writers being left on tenterhooks, not knowing if they are going to be renewed or not. Alias suffered from this as well, changing storylines in an attempt to gain viewers/ratings. I do feel that Chuck (the show) has handled the situation a bit more adeptly than Alias did, however.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Oh I agree about "Chuck" handling the stress of not knowing when the plug will be pulled better than Alias did. Last season "Chuck" improved during the second half (after finding out they were okay for a full season). Alias just went downhill after the first couple of seasons and never really got back to the show it once was. As for Ellie, would a big sister really ask her brother to give up something as important to him as the spy world is? I don't think so. Ellie saw first hand last season how adept Chuck was at being a spy, and how much he seemed to enjoy his life as a spy. Ellie was always encouraging Chuck to do something more with his life than work at the Buy More! The dumbing down of Ellie started last season when she started whining at everyone all the time and has continued this season only in this area--the asking Chuck to give up being a spy. When you get around to watching last night's episode, you will see another scene where Ellie says something kinda dumb about Chuck and the spy world. I don't want to ruin it for you so I won't say more. Suffice it to say that there was a whole subplot involving Ellie and Awesome that my family and I also didn't like in last night's episode, but I didn't even get into that in my initial post. I posted about the Chuck character issue because it bothered us more that Chuck isn't the same Chuck (the character not the entire show) and it's clear in the episode.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by lark37;4112514;
    Oh I agree about "Chuck" handling the stress of not knowing when the plug will be pulled better than Alias did. Last season "Chuck" improved during the second half (after finding out they were okay for a full season). Alias just went downhill after the first couple of seasons and never really got back to the show it once was. As for Ellie, would a big sister really ask her brother to give up something as important to him as the spy world is? I don't think so. Ellie saw first hand last season how adept Chuck was at being a spy, and how much he seemed to enjoy his life as a spy. Ellie was always encouraging Chuck to do something more with his life than work at the Buy More! The dumbing down of Ellie started last season when she started whining at everyone all the time and has continued this season only in this area--the asking Chuck to give up being a spy. When you get around to watching last night's episode, you will see another scene where Ellie says something kinda dumb about Chuck and the spy world. I don't want to ruin it for you so I won't say more. Suffice it to say that there was a whole subplot involving Ellie and Awesome that my family and I also didn't like in last night's episode, but I didn't even get into that in my initial post. I posted about the Chuck character issue because it bothered us more that Chuck isn't the same Chuck (the character not the entire show) and it's clear in the episode.
    I don't recall her saying anything? The whole computer subplot with Ellie was weird- why wouldn't she have noticed the laptop before? Or did someone surreptitiously place it there recently? And if so, who?

Besides that I liked the episode. I liked Sarah in it and her response to Chuck's kidnapping (and all the Thais going on about the giant blonde she-male).

I liked last night's episode. Chuck is back. Interesting in a way that Ellie unknowingly aided Chuck's rebirth with her answers to the first set of questions on the laptop.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

CCL

Last night's episode was good. Valkov (however you spell it) at the dinner was hilarious. Glad that Chuck has the intersect back though it was weird that the laptop was left for Ellie rather than for Chuck. Maybe his dad figured she'd find it and automatically give it to Chuck as he is the computer expert. My co-viewer was wondering exactly what was up with the intersect ie wouldn't the one on the laptop be old/less useful? I mean, the kung fu segments would be useful, but the intelligence would be old. Shouldn't they be having a way to update the intersect?

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;4114842;
    I don't recall her saying anything? The whole computer subplot with Ellie was weird- why wouldn't she have noticed the laptop before? Or did someone surreptitiously place it there recently? And if so, who?

Besides that I liked the episode. I liked Sarah in it and her response to Chuck's kidnapping (and all the Thais going on about the giant blonde she-male).
    What I meant before Thanksgiving holiday took over my life...was Ellie's comment to Awesome about not asking Chuck about the computer because it might lead him back into the spy world. She repeated it again this week. I liked this week's episode much better although I thought Chuck getting the intersect back so quickly was kind of a cop out. I really wanted them to show Chuck using skills that are not intersect related and realizing that he can be a spy without the intersect or without Sarah having to save him over and over. I guess my family are the only ones who really didn't like last week's episode. I guess we don't like Strahovski that much and can't suspend belief long enough to believe she could really kick a trained fighter's butt. My 13 year old son says she's pretty, but she is annoying the way she is with Chuck. He can do better he says

Off topic, but I saw Tangled over the holiday weekend. Zachary Levi did a great job. I just wish he would have gotten to sing more. I teach vocal performance so I am picky about singers, but he has a really nice singing voice. He can do it all it seems, even direct!

Anyone been watching? I thought tonight's show was good, but kinda weird in how they seemed to tie up a whole bunch of loose ends. It turns out that this show was originally planned to be the finale (until they got the reprieve).

Elly had an awfully easy experience ;-) My 13yo son was watching with me...I told him that there was no way I could have sat up straight in bed by that time with him and if that was all that was required when pushing, I did it wrong! (He laughed :-) )

CCL

Interesting that it was supposed to be the finale - that explains a lot. I liked the episode in that I didn't want to have Sarah ensconced with Valkoff for weeks (episodes) on end.
    Jeffster singing Push It in the maternity ward - classic.

I'm glad they thought they needed a finale because 1) it was an enjoyable, feel-good episode and, 2) they can now get back to the spy stuff and humor that makes the show so much fun to watch.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread