+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Chuck on NBC

Re: Chuck on NBC

Just watched the season opener. Did anyone else snicker with glee at Harry Dean Stanton playing a repo man, or is the reference just too obscure (and no, I am not a hipster ).
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

CCL

I don't know if it's obscure, but it means nothing to me.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Harry Dean starred, in 1984, with Emilio Estevez in a movie called Repo Man, which has a huge cult following and is one of Mr. Rattus' favourite movies. In fact, it's the only one he owns on DVD. Apparently it is the 7,777 highest grossing film of all times . It was written and directed by Alex Cox, who also wrote and directed Sid & Nancy.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;4075408;
    Harry Dean starred, in 1984, with Emilio Estevez in a movie called Repo Man, which has a huge cult following and is one of Mr. Rattus' favourite movies. In fact, it's the only one he owns on DVD. Apparently it is the 7,777 highest grossing film of all times . It was written and directed by Alex Cox, who also wrote and directed Sid & Nancy.
    I had forgotten about Repo Man; I just was happy to see Harry Dean Stanton in the episode, but you're right. It's just the kind of thing Chuck does, just as Farscape did some years back with the pop culture references.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Repo man---someone who repossesses unpaid for items, usually cars, I believe.

Full season pickup for Chuck announced today. I think there will be a total of 24 episodes.

Last night's episode was another winner with the interaction between Casey and Morgan. I also read there will be interaction between Casey and Summer Glau's character when she guest stars.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

CCL

Yay to the pickup. And I feel that Chuck and Sarah's relationship is an example of a show doing things right - they kept them apart for a bit, but not for ridiculously long, and now they are together, going through the ups-and-downs of courtship, but it is not impacting the show negatively at all.

Curious to hear what people here thought of the last couple of "Chuck" episodes. I've been reading other reviews on other sites, and my family and I seem to be the only ones who don't like this new direction Chuck has taken. Now that Chuck has lost the intersect, he seems to be back to season one only worse. We really didn't enjoy the episode before this last one and were afraid of the direction they are taking our beloved Chuck. Last night's episode discouraged us even more. Maybe it's because we're not huge Chuck/Sarah shippers or because unlike all the other reviewers, we're not drooling Yvonne Strahovski fans, but it was just not the "Chuck" we love. Now that Chuck doesn't have the intersect or can't access it, he's become this bumbling insecure idiot. Even in season one, he was geeky and didn't know anything about being a spy, but he still was able to figure things out often times because of his intelligence and computer knowledge. Yes, Sarah had to save his behind many times using her fighting skills, but Chuck was new then to this spy world. When Chuck had the intersect, he rarely needed Sarah to save his skin, and they showed on a couple of occasions that he was an expert shooter (from his hours of playing video games). A few times he last season and earlier in this one, he saved himself from bad situations without flashing. Now it appears they've decided to totally immasculate him. He's nothing without the intersect. He needs Sarah once again (not Casey & Sarah or Casey & Morgan or even Sarah & Morgan) to save his skin. I've always had believeability issues when tv and movies show a skinny young woman beating up a strong healthy man in his prime especially if it's a male CIA agent or spy. There is just no way that's going to happen unless the man is taken by surprise. I had this issue with Sydney Bristow on Alias. It was a "yeah right" kind of thing when they did it on Alias and on "Covert Affairs", and granted "Chuck" has never been realistic in any sense, but last night's Sarah getting in the "ring" and beating the Thai top fighter was so crazy it took my family right out of the show. We really thought that Chuck would "wake up" from his chair, and do something without flashing to save himself and help Sarah (perhaps figuring out that Sarah was in danger), but no, Sarah had to "save" him once again. I love this show, don't get me wrong, but after the missteps they took last season with Shaw, I had really high hopes for this season. I read that Yvonne felt she was underused last season, and that they wrote Sarah doing uncharacteristic things, so maybe they are just trying to make up for that by giving Sarah a lot of moments that are more reminiscent of seasons one and two. To us, though, it just feels like they have lost sight of Chuck's character development over the past 3 1/2 seasons. He's not the insecure, green, geek he once was; although I've always felt that Zachary Levi is way too attractive and physically fit to be a believeable geek. He's such a good actor that he pulls it off though. So what are your thoughts about "Chuck" lately. I do love that they are using Ellie more and making her less whiney, and using Morgan more in the spy world.
    Last edited by lark37; 11-23-2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typo in 2nd to last sentence.

Lark, I'm sorry to say I kind of agree with you. Chuck has always been one of my must-see shows, but I'm disappointed with the direction it's taking this season.

They've had some great guest stars, and I love the Casey/Morgan storyline, but the Chuck/Sarah relationship should be background, not the focal point. Chuck is highly intelligent with several years of spy experience behind him now. His lack of any ability now just doesn't fly. I hope he gets the intersect back soon. I hope I'm wrong, but I had the feeling last night, that Ellie was going to get it from the computer this time. Not a good idea, IMO.

CCL

I did not see the last episode (have seen all up to then and have the latest one taped). I do not mind the direction the show currently is in. Maybe it is because I am a Chuck/Sarah shipper (I like them together rather than having them still engage in the "will they/won't they" dance that many shows keep their leads in) and I do like Yvonne Strahovski as well. The dynamic has definitely changed from the first season where Sarah had to save Chuck as he was her asset whereas now there are the feelings of love at play as well; she's a lot more vulnerable than she was. And Chuck is still attempting to act, even without the intersect, which I like. That said, I do wish Chuck would get the intersect back sooner than later. I definitely do not want Ellie getting the intersect.

+ Reply to Thread