+ Reply to Thread
Page 99 of 141 FirstFirst ... 498990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Good catch on Bert Peterson. Looks like he landed on his feet! Loved seeing Peggy and old work mate still in touch. The agency must be doing quite well as we see all the new employees and huge work space.
    So what happened to Don? Something got to him in Hawaii that left him doing suicidal ads for hotels and throwing away the lighter of that soldier! And if I heard right, he has been cheating on Megan with the doc's wife for awhile--he took a book she recommended to read on the beach! Don seemed so in love with Megan and now he is not? Could it be her caree?
    Betty is getting creepy. That rape as fun bedtime banter speech was awful. She dyed her hair which frankly makes her look more like her husband's dreadful mother!
    And Lane's widow was very harsh to Don but somehow knew that the money was a sop to his conscience! Plus she was angry about that photo in his wallet. (I miss Lane) Don probably hasnt gotten over the guilt he feels for Lane killing himself. And he hasnt told a soul about why Lane did it.

FORT Fogey

I think that everything happening with Don and Betty proves the notion that unhappy people will be unhappy until they choose to be otherwise. Betty blamed her unhappiness on Don. So she moved on to find a new husband, thinking that would make her happy. What she discovered is that she's got the same life with a different man living in her house, and she's still unhappy. Don thought that it was Betty who made him cheat. So he got a new wife, and discovered that she's got her own thoughts also, he doens't control her, and he's behaving in the same way. I think both Don and Betty enjoy the thrill of attention from someone new. But neither one of them has figured out how to give enough in a relationship to make it work. Therefore, both are back where they were when they thought they were miserable together.
    cablejockey and redsox girl like this.

That was the doctor's wife that Don got in the bed with? I thought it was just some random person. Hmmm....I'll have to go back and rewatch that part.

I was annoyed that so much time is once again devoted to Megan. What's wrong with Matthew? The show took a downward turn when he brought Megan's character in. From what I have read, the critics don't care for her and the fans don't either. The awards stopped when the writers left the main characters and focused so much on her. I predict no more Best Drama awards as long as they focus on Megan. Enough already. Are there any viewers who like her character? She gets pushed upon us while we wonder about other characters we love. I guess I'll have to FF through her scenes.

And, why would they write this part for a total stranger and Betty, when they could have had one about Sally and Betty? Once again, ignoring characters we want to see from someone else. I don't get it.

I love Roger's therapy scenes. Maybe that acid is causing him to see things more clearly. lol

I didn't understand why the guy brought Don a cup of coffee and was hanging around in the lobby. What was that about? He is an employee right?

FORT Fogey

I thought it made total sense that Betty was so worried about a girl other than Sally. Had they done that storyline with Sally being the one to run away, then Don would have been involved, so the impact would not have been the same. Also (and maybe more important) it showed that Betty does feel compassion and concern for a young girl, and appeared to have an easier time showing it for someone other than Sally. To me, the fact that she did feel so much concern for someone else showed that she is a caring person - she just doesn't show it towards her kids because she resents them from taking her away from a life she wishes she had. That's why Megan's character matters. Megan shows what Betty's life could have been like if she'd been more assertive. Instead, she went along with being the wife she thought Don wanted, and now has a life she hates instead of the one she dreamed of.
    Coco46 likes this.

I love the character Megan. She doesn't take crap from Don. He's such a vile human being. But, unlike Pete, he can hide his rotted morality beneath a handsome veneer and the ability to `sell anything` with his clever verbal skills. Did anyone believe Don wasn't going to cheat on Megan? People like Don don't change. But this time around he`s become sloppy in his assignations. Literally committing adultery one floor below the apartment he shares with Megan. Whats worse is he`s committing adultery with the wife of a man (the Doctor) who represents the more noble aspects of human nature. Qualities Don lacks. There`s the doctor, skiing off in a snowstorm on New Years Eve to save a patient, Don helping him find the skis. 10 minutes later hes bedding the doctors wife (and its clear hes been doing this for awhile as she gave him the book Dante's Inferno, which he was reading on the beach during his vacation with Megan). In past seasons we have seen Megan Hold Don accountable for his self-absorbed actions. Something the repressed Betty, could never do. A particular favorite scene of mine was when Megan made Don sit down and eat the dinner she cooked for him after he came home drunk and late, having never bothered to call her. He doesn't know how to deal with a woman who isn't afraid to express herself in an assertive way. It angers him, it confuses him and he resents it. As long as a woman appears weak and unquestioning, hes fine, because he can control them and the situation. Look at what he did to Peggy right before she left. He threw dollar bills at her because she dared to question him. (Now that Peggy is at her new job channeling the most unpleasant aspects of Don as `boss` we have a whole nother interesting situation). The other thing I have thought about every ti`me I see the opening credits is this: the man falling toward his death, is Don. And well, I don't see this series ending any other way than with his complete destruction. Whether its physical or psychological. I really think this whole series is about watching a spiritually bankrupt person free fall to their ultimate demise. He has changed himself over the years, but only in the superficial sense. Who he really is on the inside, a weak man morally, will not change and that lack of morality only strengthens over time.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

I do not contend that Don has many positive moral qualities. He is a dirty dog, IMO. I don't think anyone disagrees with that. However, I guess we will disagree about the appeal of Megan. It's good you like her. For others, she's painful to watch. She looks so uncomfortable and I don't care for her acting skills either. IMO, she's not up to par with the rest of the cast.

Did you notice that the photo of the lady on the building is still there in the opening montage? I read some time ago that the real life lady only noticed last season that her photo appeared on their opening and she had filed suit for unauthorized use. I guess they settled by paying her, since they are still using it.

I thought last season that someone would go over the balcony at Don's apt, but they never did. Still, the writer's keep bringing up things about that balcony. Recall last night, someone had left the door open and there was dirt on the floor. They keep throwing hints about it. I wonder if it's a red herring. lol
    cablejockey likes this.

FORT Fogey

I think that Matt Weiner is just playing with people at this point with the balcony. I've heard him say that people have attached a much more literal interpretation of the opening credits than was ever intended. I think that as Redsox Girl said, it's supposed to be a symbolic fall into greed. I don't think it was ever inteded to be a "keep on watching to find out who it is that jumps off a balcony at some point" and yet, people are expecting that. When you look at the things that have been hinted and then happened on the show, they've been MUCH more subtle than that. Usually, his foreshadowing is done in a way that is not obvious at the time, but when you go back to look at the clues with the benefit of hindsight, you see it.
    redsox girl likes this.

DEb70 . I hope I didnt offend you as that was not my intenjtion. I just wanted to express why I enjoy the character.I just meant to say its nice to see Don, imo, get his comeuppance. I never noticed the ladies photograph, I need to check that out next episode. That must have been a shock for the woman! I was thinking the fall was more symbolic than literal. I thought the whole suicide theme in the show was a bit heavy handed. I really have to watch it again, because to be honest, I had a hard time staying interested. I dont know if it was me or the show or neither. Plus, I really like Joan, I find her so complex. I care about her character. Plus, I love her clothes.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

As a side note the actor who plays Pete Cambpell is engaged in real life to Alexsis Beidel, the actress who played his love interest (if you cancall it that) last year. They met on the set of Madmen.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    DEb70 . I hope I didnt offend you as that was not my intenjtion. I just wanted to express why I enjoy the character.I just meant to say its nice to see Don, imo, get his comeuppance. I never noticed the ladies photograph, I need to check that out next episode. That must have been a shock for the woman! I was thinking the fall was more symbolic than literal. I thought the whole suicide theme in the show was a bit heavy handed. I really have to watch it again, because to be honest, I had a hard time staying interested. I dont know if it was me or the show or neither. Plus, I really like Joan, I find her so complex. I care about her character. Plus, I love her clothes.
    Oh, I get it. No problem. I'm rather glad Megan has some fans. I don't want the show to suffer. lol

I don't think I thought much of someone jumping out of the window until Don moved into that apt with the balcony. There were all kinds of hints about that balcony after that which caused me to fear it was coming. Plus, the dialogue is often about how how high they are or what floor there're on. They keep bringing me back to that theory.

I'll try to find an article about the older model who saw a photo of her from the 50's last year on the MM opening. She was shocked they were using it without permission. I guess they they worked it out though............
    Here is the article.

Model Sues Over ‘Mad Men’ Title Image - ABC News

+ Reply to Thread