+ Reply to Thread
Page 98 of 141 FirstFirst ... 48888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

OMG! Is that Megan dolled up like Priscilla Presley? I predict an episode ending with Elvis' version of Suspicious Minds. lol Love that song. What years will they be coving this season? Suspicious Minds is from 1969.

Thanks for the pictures, MF!

Look at Sally. Wow, she is so tall and looking so grown up.
    KAREN

I think this Sunday is the season premire. Here's a link that has some more photos from the upcoming season.
    Mad Men Season Six Premiere Photos | ETonline.com

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I think this Sunday is the season premire. Here's a link that has some more photos from the upcoming season.
    Mad Men Season Six Premiere Photos | ETonline.com
    Thanks so much! I need to program my DVR.

Tonight

Tonight

Tonight

KAREN

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Yay! Mad Men is back! Sally has really become a smart mouth teenager, and while I'd likely hate to live with a sassy teen IRL, something about her attitude just made me laugh. I was kind of glad to get more Betty (even if that rape conversation with Henry was way weird to me) and doing something interesting while bringing in the counterculture movement subtly (for Mad Men). Plus, it was good character development for Betty; I'd never have guessed she'd go to a St. Marks squat looking for anyone. I liked seeing Peggy at work, doing well and still in touch with Stan. It was good to see the SDCP offices are humming along (what is up with that new accounts guy, anyway?). And I really liked finding out that Don is up to his usual extramarital shenanigans. Not that I condone cheating IRL, but Don is a television character and I like seeing him in tough/awkward situations (even the little ones, like the puking at Roger's mom's memorial).

I didn't like the lack of Joan at all. And in true MW form, he hammered the "life is pointless, let's all kill ourselves" a bit too much while never once mentioning Lane. I can't decide if having Roger in therapy is a funny/amusing turn of events, or a mechanism for MW to pontificate on the condition of life. Maybe it's a bit of both.

Sorry to go on so much; I just love this show despite whatever I gripe about.
    cablejockey and MFWalkoff like this.

Random thoughts on "The Doorway" while watching it:
    • A Star Is Born indeed! Quite Freudian (and a little on the nose) for Don to leave Hawaii feeling (and acting) like Norman Maine after Megan/Vicki Lester starts achieving success on her own. And then to go the extra mile of including it in his ad idea as if it was his usual brilliant inspiration - ha!. Now it makes sense that in the first 15 minutes of the premiere, we saw Don watching Megan as she partook in everything, without uttering one word. Of course, Norman Maine didn't cheat on Vicki once they were married, but hello! Old Dirty Don is back! And somehow, it's not as sexy as it was several years ago.
    • In the first hour, Don says the Dr. Cohen, "Remember, if you come to my office, I get to come to yours." Is Don going to go full Norman Maine, and have a heart attack, or need a new liver? Or will he just spend the season contemplating jumping into the ocean? Everyone at work seems to think he's a shell of his former self. Even Dawn seems to have learned how to "manage" him. And that long shot of Don looking out the window in his office, and the street sounds turn ominous as if a poltergeist is about to consume him...mmm-hmm.
    • Peggy seems to command more respect from her clients than her colleagues. But then she seems to employ Don's abuse techniques to her team without providing the positive side (like, say, dinner). Abe has been completely neutered.
    • Looks like Don landed Dow Chemical, which means the firm is doing really well (they got their second floor). At the end of last season, he and Roger made that desperate visit to win their business after Don fired Lane.
    • I think Matt Weiner wrote this episode so that John Slattery would finally get an Emmy. The analysis monologues were pure show, and the funeral was uniquely Roger. And the bit at the end with the shoeshine kit -- almost too much, but I think it kept its toes behind the line.
    • I love that Caroline, Roger's secretary, is still around. She's such great comic relief (even while crying her eyes out). On the other hand, I can't believe that blonde ditz is still at reception. That strains believability.
    • I don't think we ever met Roger's mother, but I really wish it was Henry's mom who died instead. (Heh)
    • Maybe it's because I've been waiting so long, but even though Matt Weiner is still taking his sweet time (as usual) revealing where people are now and what's happened since the last episode, the first hour went by for me like it was 15 minutes. The 2nd hour felt a little longer, but had more meat to it.
    • Sally's all grown! I wanted to cry! And she's gotten even more sarcastic. Maybe too much. (Calling her mother "Betty"?) But maybe she resented how much Betty doted over Poochie, er, Sandy. WTH? She's a part of the family, then she's gone, then Betty is searching abandoned buildings for her...I'm definitely thinking Sandy died on her way back to her home planet.
    • I think Betty's shenanigans (reckless driving, dyeing her hair) are Matt Weiner's way of telling us that she's changing back into the rifle-toting Sally of the early years -- which will make her coming rapid weight loss more believable, I guess.
    • So time-wise, has 6 months passed (Christmas 1967), or has a year and a half passed (Christmas 1968)? The wardrobe and haircuts have changed way too much for only 6 months to have gone by. If it's now New Year's 1969, that means we have the moon landing to look forward to this season. Also the Mets winning the World Series, lol.
    • Interesting attention to detail! Burt Peterson, Peggy's colleague who called her late at night about the Tonight show, is the same Burt Peterson who I recognized from one other episode in S3. When PPL first took over Sterling Cooper, Burt was one of the account men brought into Cooper's office to be fired. In the S3 episode, they tell Burt they waited several months to fire him because his wife was undergoing radiation treatments. In the new episode, he reminds Peggy he's a widower.
    • Dr. Cohen's wife (Don's new diversion) -- I was trying to place the actress, because that face is so memorable to me. I'm thinking it was Michelle Greene from L.A. Law. IMDb doesn't have cast info yet and I missed the closing credits...
    • Other bits of Actor Bingo: Sandy was the girl who played Paige, Sarah's daughter on Brothers & Sisters. And I think Dr. Cohen was none other than Brian Markinson, Mr. "Soulless Minions of Orthodoxy" himself from Star Trek DS9. (Also Caprica, Continuum and Angels in America)
    • Not much Joan or Pete this episode -- guess they are saving them for the next week or two.
    • New characters: Bob Benson -- remember that name! What a turd...but I think he's going to be a fun ride, much like Ginsberg was last year. And who is the sassy middle-aged woman now working for Creative? The other new guy with glasses didn't elicit much curiosity.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 04-08-2013 at 01:04 AM.
    redsox girl likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    [*]Dr. Cohen's wife (Don's new diversion) -- I was trying to place the actress, because that face is so memorable to me. I'm thinking it was Michelle Greene from L.A. Law. IMDb doesn't have cast info yet and I missed the closing credits...
    The 'nets tell me she's Linda Cardellini, but that means nothing to me. Maybe a Freaks and Geeks thing.

I need to set my phone to something different. The MM phones sound like mine.

Linda Cardellini was also on ER for many seasons and starred in the Scooby Doo movies.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Ah! Linda Cardellini! Thank you! I knew the face was familiar to me, but the big wig prevented me from putting it all together.

Loved her on ER, and she was also in Freaks & Geeks, and Brokeback Mountain.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 04-08-2013 at 02:32 AM.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread