+ Reply to Thread
Page 97 of 141 FirstFirst ... 4787888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Great. I'm looking forward to it. I do hope it's better than last season. That was my least favorite so far. I hope Matthew has some good things in store for this season.
    Last edited by Debb70; 01-23-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    Mad Men comes back on April 7th! Here's a brief article from EW wherein Weiner evades more questions than he answers, but he wouldn't be himself if he didn't. AMC's 'Mad Men' gets return date, plus Matthew Weiner talks season 6 | Inside TV | EW.com
    YAY!!! I am excited!!!
    MFWalkoff likes this.
    KAREN

They released some high-fashion promo photos, I found them at TLo:

Nice sideburns on Pete! Guess they are in the late 60s now.
    Cootie likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Loved the photos - Pete's sideburns practically jump off the page!

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

I'm trying to maintain optimism. I hope this season is FAR better than last, which I found pretty disappointing. It was still better than the majority of stuff on TV, but not up to the level of previous seasons.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Having lived with season 5 for a while, I love it just as much as the other seasons.

I think the initial shock & awe of the show was that we were seeing people do & say things that we weren't used to seeing people do/say in actual 50s/60s period movies. That, and the mystery of Don's past. Well they've pretty much done everything they can with Don's mysterious past, and it's hard to keep coming up with unexpected things for these people to do. So the writers have to go a little further (the suicide, Joan "making" partner) to try and shock us.

But if the last shot of last season's finale is any indication, I think we're in for a nice helping of Dirty Don 2.0.
    Cootie likes this.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I didn't hate season five, but I thought it kind of lost its focus a bit. There was to much Megan; that's not to fault Jessica Pare...she didn't write it. I honestly believe Matt Weiner fell in love with her/her character harder than Don fell in love with Megan. To that end, the other characters got short bits and, adding in January Jones' IRL pregnancy, that season didn't feel as well rounded as past season.

I do find it a positive thing that Weiner advises to rewatch the last 10 minutes of the S5 finale before going int S6. NTL, I still want Sal to return someway, somehow, even if just for a cameo.
    Critical and Cootie like this.

I didn't hate season 5, but I agree with PG - the series lost focus.

For me, "The Suitcase" is the benchmark episode of the series. I think everything else suffers by comparison.
    Coco46 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Yeah, you're right, the way they handled January Jones' pregnancy wasn't all that clever. (I kind of forgot about that) I think they could have simply ignored Betty and Henry, and it would have been a tighter, more interesting season that just focused on the business, and on Don & Megan. I loved watching 40-year-old Don basically turn into an old fogey, trying to keep up with his younger bride while being sidelined with middle-aged maladies and a hot tooth. That's why I loved the final scene in the bar, which let us know that Devil Don is still in there, seemingly itching to come out.

Oh, and while the overall Christmas episode was bogged down with the Hare Krishna guy, the scenes with Don & Joan shopping for a Jaguar and having a drink afterward were right up there with The Suitcase for me.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 01-24-2013 at 12:32 AM.
    Cootie and Coco46 like this.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I can't wait. I love this show on so many levels. Makes me take a new look at the 60's, which I lived through as a young girl in Southern California. I was a teen in 1967, so this new season holds great interest to me. Advertising especially in magazines was a big in my family. We got Life, Good Housekeeping, Newsweek and many other magazines and I read them all starting at an early age. Of course there was TV...one TV in the living room that the whole family shared. The ads were a part of our everyday lives. Cars, bras, Tang, dishwashing liquid, cigarettes - when I was a kid we bought candy cigarettes and acted out the glamour we saw on tv.

I'd like to see Don move on from Megan. While I loved their apt., the decorating and Megans' clothes, etc, the relationship left me a little bored. Both Joan's and Peggy's transitions from the 50's mindset to independent modern women are what keep me coming back to watch. Don's kids are always entertaining, Betty not as much.

+ Reply to Thread