+ Reply to Thread
Page 96 of 141 FirstFirst ... 468687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I knew that Trudy and Pete live in the suburbs of NY....didn't mean the city but I wasn't clear enough. I still think it's an odd thing for someone residing there, who's very young, newly married and Pete doesn not make that kind of money that probably their neighbors do. This is their starter home and I just thought that in the '60's, she'd be more interested in upgrading the home inside.

I don't think Pete and Trudy are all that young. The start of the first season was 1960, and Pete was out of college and I had the impression he had been around Sterling Cooper for at least a couple of years then. This season, I think it was 1966. Pete is most likely in his early 30's. And Trudy is all about having all the trappings of upper middle class suburbia, which would have to include a pool.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    Here's my two cents on Don helping Megan get the job ... He chose Megan over the other woman because he thought she was easy to handle.he thought that she'd live to take care of his needs. Then he found out that not only did she have her own ambition, but had it in a similar field to Betty. Don wasn't against helping Megan because of principle. He was against it because it would take her further away from taking care of his life, and keeping his home and kids in order so he didn't have to. Remember he was annoyed when Megan couldn't take Sally home because she had an audition? Tats the kind of thing Don thought she'd do when he proposed. But when he watched her test, he realized she had talent, and had her own dreams. Betty became a miserable pill because she gave up her own dreams for Don. He realizes that while he wants Megan focused on him, if he holds her back, he has anotherBetty on his hands. In those scenes, we saw Don reacting to the changes men had to make because of the women's movement.
    That's a nice assessment. New Don does realize that he can't make the same mistake again, which is the Don we mostly saw this season. However, as the final scene in the bar hinted, Old Don is still in there, still feeling like an abandoned little boy without a woman's unconditional support, still angry that people always "leave" him, and still having an uncontrolled libido, lol.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rockytop Chick View Post
    I don't think Pete and Trudy are all that young. The start of the first season was 1960, and Pete was out of college and I had the impression he had been around Sterling Cooper for at least a couple of years then. This season, I think it was 1966. Pete is most likely in his early 30's. And Trudy is all about having all the trappings of upper middle class suburbia, which would have to include a pool.
    Also, Pete's not really hurting for money, since he's a partner. They couldn't afford Christmas bonuses but they've still been taking salary and dividends. And Trudy reminded him that even if it seems "permanent" to add a pool, it adds to the resale value of the house. So even she was thinking clearly while putting it in motion.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    Here's my two cents on Don helping Megan get the job ... He chose Megan over the other woman because he thought she was easy to handle.he thought that she'd live to take care of his needs. Then he found out that not only did she have her own ambition, but had it in a similar field to Betty. Don wasn't against helping Megan because of principle. He was against it because it would take her further away from taking care of his life, and keeping his home and kids in order so he didn't have to.
    I kind of disagree with you here because Don was extremely appalled and against the idea of asking for his wife to be in the commercial. So even if he did do it because of his impression of her on the tape, or because he didn't want her to react like Betty, he still made a huge leap in his determination not to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    I'm not sure, like you said, why he went against his own policy, but maybe he saw in that tape the deep, genuine want and longing his wife has for acting=a true passion-like the passion he originally had for advertising. Maybe he wanted to acknowledge to her, through giving her the audition/job that he finally understood acting for her wasn't a hobby or a passing fad, it was maybe his way of letting her know he now respected and understood her passion was deep and honest, like his used to be for advertising. Or I could just be reading way too much into it
    I guess I don't think a commercial would fulfill that passion for acting. I'm sure it's probably a just "stepping-stone" to get other jobs but I doubt it'll reveal "great acting."

Sorry. I think I'm just really picky about how they wrapped up this storyline.
    dustypants likes this.

I am going through Mad Men withdrawals in a big way tonight. As far as the last episode goes, I don't think they could have topped the previous one and I am glad they didn't. This finale was very melancholy but I think it worked. I was glad to see Peggy and where she was at. She is getting paid more, you can see it in her wardrobe, but that last scene let her in on reality, that she had a long ways to go. But I think that is why she is good at her job, she knows what it is like to live the life of an average consumer.

I don't care either way about Megan, her character is not really in the middle of the action and she makes Don a little less predictable and adds some interesting Sally interactions along the way. And the dialogue between she and Betty is always fun! And she has an interesting 60's wardrobe to look at. I love the style of their apt. as well. Without her, Don wouldn't have all those trappings. Fun stuff for those of us who were teens by 1966-67. And for those like my daughter who loves the glimpse of that era.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    I am going through Mad Men withdrawals in a big way tonight.
    I know, me too! This season went by in a flash. Usually, Mad Men, True Blood and BB are on at the same time to let me know it's summer. It's strange to have MM done for the year already!
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    I don't care either way about Megan, her character is not really in the middle of the action and she makes Don a little less predictable and adds some interesting Sally interactions along the way. And the dialogue between she and Betty is always fun! And she has an interesting 60's wardrobe to look at. I love the style of their apt. as well. Without her, Don wouldn't have all those trappings. Fun stuff for those of us who were teens by 1966-67. And for those like my daughter who loves the glimpse of that era.
    I'm with you on that, re-visiting the mid-'60's....love Megan's clothes and the apartment.
    We moved into a mid-century modern home 2 yrs ago so I'm always looking around their apartment for clues and ideas for decorating.
    Cootie likes this.

FORT Regular

Plus Trudy's daddy is loaded and probably helped them get into the house.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Thanks, Debb70, for that link...I really enjoyed her views on the show and could agree with almost everything. I think I mentioned last time I posted on this thread how it's just not balanced anymore....absolutely nothing happy/good/fun happens anymore...to anyone. I like the storyline but am left feeling disappointed.

And AcookerTV, you are probably right about how the writers "imply" rather than come right out and tell us what's going on...my problem is I'm sometimes too dense to pick up on the subtleties.
    Another thing that bothers me is that it just doesn't coincide anymore like it used to about the '60's that I remember. The clothes, the decor etc is right there but I'm not getting the true feelings from the writing that I would think would have evolved from the beginning era in earlier seasons. The attitudes/behavior of everyone seem still to be of the late '50's, even if they do throw in a token bit of representation, like Roger and his LSD. But that could just be me.
    Most of the characters appear to be late 30's or 40's. So by 1967, would their attitudes/behaviors really have changed that much from the 50's? You can see the changing of the times in Stan, Peggy, Ginsberg, and a few others. But most of them haven't really moved very fast in respect to the changing society.

I grew up in the 70's, and I can see a great deal of difference between women my age and women in their 20s/30s. What I'm saying is that maybe the characters staying so much the same is reflective of the way most people do change--slowly, almost without realizing it, and sometimes very grudgingly.
    JulieAnn likes this.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Mad Men comes back on April 7th! Here's a brief article from EW wherein Weiner evades more questions than he answers, but he wouldn't be himself if he didn't. AMC's 'Mad Men' gets return date, plus Matthew Weiner talks season 6 | Inside TV | EW.com
    MFWalkoff likes this.

+ Reply to Thread