+ Reply to Thread
Page 95 of 141 FirstFirst ... 45858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

It's difficult to say if they have the 60's vibe. I did get the 60's feel when they had that party in Don and Megan's apt and Megan sang. I recall the 60's, but was so young that I don't remember many details. I have some of course, that I treasure. My favorite time was the 70's! That's when I became a teen and have so many memories. Will Weiner go there next season? I think he will.

Understand. I was a teen in the '60's so that's probably why it appeals so much to me and why I think it's not being interpreted well, besides the fluff of clothes, decor. Most likely the writers are young and doing the best they can but it doesn't always work for me.
    I really didn't see all that much greatness in Megan's tape.....She's very photogenic, tall, slender, which is great for film...but I'm not sure about her acting ability yet. This didn't show it to me.
    What I'm confused about is when Don was visiting Megan on the set, she appeared to be Snow White....wasn't that the ad that she had previously asked Don to get for her and he said it wouldn't be right for him to do that??? So was I supposed to believe that after Don viewed her tape, he thought she was so good, he should go against his better judgement and get her the job.
    Who was the guy in his dental office delirium? And what was the whole point of Don's bad tooth??
    I often miss the subtleties in the writing.
    I'm afraid Roger is going to jump....so many jumped from windows on LSD in those days....bad trips. Don't want to lose Roger, even tho he's pretty scummy. But somehow not as scummy as Pete.
    Also the swimming pool idea seemed off to me...in NY? Just didn't seem like something a housewife/mom would want so badly.
    Peggy was definitely in a motel, not a hotel. Motels were extremely popular then and hotels were reserved for more elite types so businesses often just paid for a motel (cheaper).

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Dragonlady, "the guy in (Don's) dental office delirium" is Don's (Dick's) dead brother Adam. He hanged himself a couple/few seasons back.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Understand. I was a teen in the '60's so that's probably why it appeals so much to me and why I think it's not being interpreted well, besides the fluff of clothes, decor. Most likely the writers are young and doing the best they can but it doesn't always work for me.
    I really didn't see all that much greatness in Megan's tape.....She's very photogenic, tall, slender, which is great for film...but I'm not sure about her acting ability yet. This didn't show it to me.
    What I'm confused about is when Don was visiting Megan on the set, she appeared to be Snow White....wasn't that the ad that she had previously asked Don to get for her and he said it wouldn't be right for him to do that??? So was I supposed to believe that after Don viewed her tape, he thought she was so good, he should go against his better judgment and get her the job.
    Who was the guy in his dental office delirium? And what was the whole point of Don's bad tooth??
    I often miss the subtleties in the writing.
    I'm afraid Roger is going to jump....so many jumped from windows on LSD in those days....bad trips. Don't want to lose Roger, even tho he's pretty scummy. But somehow not as scummy as Pete.
    Also the swimming pool idea seemed off to me...in NY? Just didn't seem like something a housewife/mom would want so badly.
    Peggy was definitely in a motel, not a hotel. Motels were extremely popular then and hotels were reserved for more elite types so businesses often just paid for a motel
    (cheaper).
    Just my two cents:
    1) Yes you are supposed to believe Don realizes Megan has real talent. It was evident to me and to those viewers who like Megan. For those who dislike Megan they are going to continue to perceive her negatively. Her expressions were amazing-her eyes said it all. Don's reacting, that subtle smile was so genuine, something I rarely see in him. So yes, he got her the commercial. Because he realized she has the talent to back it up. Maybe there isn't a right or wrong way to interpret the scene, maybe it dependson how each viewer perceives their relationship.

2.) The guy in the dentists office was Adam, Don's younger brother. He also imagined Seeing Adam in the office. Adam found Don in season 1 or 2 and was so excited about it. Don wanted nothing to do with him because he didn't want his lies found out. So, in order to make Adam go away he gave him a pile of money. Adam was found hanging in his rented room after this exchange.

3) Pete and Trudy don't live in New York City. They live out in the suburbs so getting a pool, wouldn't be unusual and screamed of status.

4) As for the motel with the view of the parking lot and two dogs humping- I took that to mean Peggy was probably expecting to be in a nice hotel (the way Don travels-fancy, elegant) and so being on the ground floor of some little motel showed that she still had long way to go and that reality doesn't live up to our fantasies. You aren't going to have a crumby view of some dark parking lot complete with humping dogs if you are staying at some swanky hotel. Your view would be of the glamorous city. Peggy looked a bit put off when she looked out the window, but at the same time she lounged contented on her bed drinking a glass of cheap wine=probably toasting to the fact although the trip wasn't what she imagined, at least she was on a trip and in charge , something she never was given the chance to do at her old job with Don.
    Cootie, Coco46 and AcookerTV like this.
    "Remember, sometimes your`buddy' isn't really your `buddy'." - Donny

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I'm going to second everything redsox says except for this: I find Megan tremendously boring, but I do think Don saw real talent in her reel and that's why he helped her get the ad.

Sorry, redsox. But I do appreciate your well-reasoned opinion, and I don't want to be antagonistic. That's just my two cents.

Oh, to elaborate, Pete & Trudy live in Cos Cob, CT. My sister had her wedding there. The idea of a pool in the back yard is not unrealistic. I'd never seen such display of crazy suburban riches until I went there.
    Last edited by PhoneGrrrl; 06-16-2012 at 12:46 AM.

In reply to redsox girl and PhoneGrrrl: (Just comments, definitely not arguments)
    I don't like or dislike Megan but I just didn't see amazing acting on the tape. I was just surprised that Don went against his values re getting her a job because they're the ad agency. He seemed quite adamant about it when she asked.
    Thanks for all the info. I forget things after many seasons.
    I knew that Trudy and Pete live in the suburbs of NY....didn't mean the city but I wasn't clear enough. I still think it's an odd thing for someone residing there, who's very young, newly married and Pete doesn not make that kind of money that probably their neighbors do. This is their starter home and I just thought that in the '60's, she'd be more interested in upgrading the home inside.
    I agree about Peggy, in the motel. Most likely had mixed feelings....wonderful to be "traveling for business" but just not up to her expectations.
    redsox girl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I'm going to second everything redsox says except for this: I find Megan tremendously boring, but I do think Don saw real talent in her reel and that's why he helped her get the ad.

Sorry, redsox. But I do appreciate your well-reasoned opinion, and I don't want to be antagonistic. That's just my two cents.

Oh, to elaborate, Pete & Trudy live in Cos Cob, CT. My sister had her wedding there. The idea of a pool in the back yard is not unrealistic. I'd never seen such display of crazy suburban riches until I went there.
    it's okay Megan seems to inspire two extreme responses in the viewing audience. I just enjoy the way she doesn't stay quiet when Don does something w/o thinking how it affects his marriage. Betty just seethed silently or was passive aggressive. Don doesn't know what to do with the type of woman Megan represents. They are of two different generations. she's from a new generation of women who are not willing to live only for their husbands desires and it is a generation that won't tolerate indiscretions or see themselves as simply an extension of their husbands. I just like the idea of what Megan represents to me. I like that when Don just left her at Hojo's she found her own way home and let him know how disrespectful it was to leave her stranded. Letting him know that he wouldn't have spent hours worrying about where she was if he hadn't put her in that potentially dangerous situation.
    Trudy is a bit older than Megan -probably by eight years. She seems to inhabit, in her actions, both worlds represented by Betty and Megan.

As for Joan, she's my favorite character. I find her more complex than any of the characters, including Don. Her battle for happiness and self-fulfillment is a battle I'm firmly behind. She's IMO, the brightest person there, in terms of running a business and I wonder if in er younger years she even allowed herself to acknowledge her keen mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    In reply to redsox girl and PhoneGrrrl: (Just comments, definitely not arguments)
    I don't like or dislike Megan but I just didn't see amazing acting on the tape. I was just surprised that Don went against his values re getting her a job because they're the ad agency. He seemed quite adamant about it when she asked.
    Thanks for all the info. I forget things after many seasons.
    I knew that Trudy and Pete live in the suburbs of NY....didn't mean the city but I wasn't clear enough. I still think it's an odd thing for someone residing there, who's very young, newly married and Pete doesn not make that kind of money that probably their neighbors do. This is their starter home and I just thought that in the '60's, she'd be more interested in upgrading the home inside.
    I agree about Peggy, in the motel. Most likely had mixed feelings....wonderful to be "traveling for business" but just not up to her expectations.
    Oh yes, with Megan t is totally a matter of opinion whether by design or not. But, maybe for Don, whether we agree or not, he saw the tape as a revalation. I just keep remembering his smile watching her-it came from a place within him that is pure and uncorrupted. I'm not sure, like you said, why he went against his own policy, but maybe he saw in that tape the deep, genuine want and longing his wife has for acting=a true passion-like the passion he originally had for advertising. Maybe he wanted to acknowledge to her, through giving her the audition/job that he finally understood acting for her wasn't a hobby or a passing fad, it was maybe his way of letting her know he now respected and understood her passion was deep and honest, like his used to be for advertising. Or I could just be reading way too much into it
    Last edited by redsox girl; 06-16-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    It's difficult to say if they have the 60's vibe. I did get the 60's feel when they had that party in Don and Megan's apt and Megan sang. I recall the 60's, but was so young that I don't remember many details. I have some of course, that I treasure. My favorite time was the 70's! That's when I became a teen and have so many memories. Will Weiner go there next season? I think he will.
    That would be interesting. If only to see if in 1970, Don is still wearing the same suit to work that he's been wearing since 1962.
    Ellen likes this.

FORT Fogey

Here's my two cents on Don helping Megan get the job ... He chose Megan over the other woman because he thought she was easy to handle.he thought that she'd live to take care of his needs. Then he found out that not only did she have her own ambition, but had it in a similar field to Betty. Don wasn't against helping Megan because of principle. He was against it because it would take her further away from taking care of his life, and keeping his home and kids in order so he didn't have to. Remember he was annoyed when Megan couldn't take Sally home because she had an audition? Tats the kind of thing Don thought she'd do when he proposed. But when he watched her test, he realized she had talent, and had her own dreams. Betty became a miserable pill because she gave up her own dreams for Don. He realizes that while he wants Megan focused on him, if he holds her back, he has anotherBetty on his hands. In those scenes, we saw Don reacting to the changes men had to make because of the women's movement.
    redsox girl, Cootie and MFWalkoff like this.

+ Reply to Thread