+ Reply to Thread
Page 94 of 141 FirstFirst ... 4484858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

It doesn't matter how claqssy the surroundings, she is still on her
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    So what do you all think about Pete's visit with Beth in the hospital? Did Beth really have no memory of Pete or was she just pretending? I found it to be suspicious that she didn't seem at all confused when the nurse said her brother was there to visit but only after Pete said he'd come because he was worried about her, that is when she "changed" and he thought it because she didn't know who he was. I'm not buying it. I think Beth was pretending. She wanted Pete to be nothing more than a memory and now here he was, popping up... again.

Peggy finally got what she thought she wanted. She had responsibility for a big account her agency was trying to land. She went on a business trip. She flew on an airplane. She was in a hotel. She was where she thought she wanted to be... and then she looks out the window for the view, and sees two dogs humping. Just goes to show it's not what it seems to be I still love Peggy and look forward to where she goes in the future.

Lots of other interesting things...
    Joan and Don discussing the insurance payout for Lane's death.
    Joan large-and-in-charge during the Partner's meeting.
    Don going to see Rebecca and her statement the firm should have known better than to fill a man like Lane with ambition.
    Lane not taking that picture out of his wallet... after all the preparations he made, he didn't remove that picture.
    Megan's mom being so spot on in her assessment of her daughter. Harsh? Sure. But Madame Calvet is nothing but direct and to the point.
    Don's change of expression when viewing Megan's reel... first a nice smile which then turned to a bit of a frown. Matthew Weiner said it was Don's realization that Megan IS THAT GOOD and if he loves her he has to let her have what she wants. I call BS on that one. I didn't read that scene in that way whatsoever.

As always, looking forward to next season!
    IMO, Megan is talented, it was obvious in the reel that she could convey real emotion w/o saying one word. I found it to be revelatory, as did Don. To me, Megans mother comes across as bitter and resentful toward her daughter, not honest at all. She is out to inflict damage, not truth. Megan commands attention in the room now, not her and so she finds ways to bring down Megan by belittling her dreams and her talent. She is vindictive, not honest. To make herself feel like she's still the center of attention she is more than willing to lower herself to kneeling on the floor in a public bathroom. It doesn't matter how fancy and glittering the surroundings, it is still a public bathroom. The scene conveyed pathetic desperation. The affair she engages in with Roger is sleazy , w/o even feigned romance. Bottom of the barrel, really. There is such a desperation to all of it, for both Roger and Megan's mother. That's how I view it, anyhow.
    AcookerTV likes this.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

I found the scene in the hospital between Pete and Alexis Biedal to be so honest in the way she explained the devastating impact of severe depression. That she is thought of as crazy rather than simply having an illness is heartbreaking, as is the treatment to supposedly `cure' her. I thought Pete was decent, even kind in this scene. Far more than her piece of crap husband. On the train, when Pete confronted him and then hit him I felt a mix of emotions. I felt Pete was genuinely being her champion and protector which made me like him, if only for a moment, at the same time I loathed him because of his arrogance toward the train conductor and his disrespect for his wife by pursuing this woman inb the first place.That he was again on the losing end of two fights drove home how ineffective he is.
    I think he connected to the woman because he is severely depressed and someone else out there `understands' that deep, black pit of despair. His frame of mind was driven home when he commented almost in monotone `the baby might fall into the pool' as a response to Trudy telling him about having a pool put in the backyard.
    Sure Pete is a slug, a weasel. But he is interesting, none the less. An inept version of Don, who is the king of worminess (he just has the looks and sociopath charisma to get away with his horrendous life choices. Pete doesn't have either quality.)
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

For some reason I liked Megan's mom much more than I did Megan. I never could buy the actress who played Megan in that role. I think she was miscast. She took a huge role this season and had as much screen time as Jon Hamm. I wasn't amused. I think her acting was lacking and I'm not sure how she got the job. Almost everytime I saw her on screen, I would question that it was for real and what she was doing there.

After much thought, I'm wondering if that story Pete's lover told him about losing her memory is even true. Someone upthread mentioned that they questioned if the woman was just pretending to lose her memory. I think there's a good chance of that. Does anyone know much about it electric shock treatment at that time?

I read a couple of years ago that MM would take us to present day in the end of the series. Some characters will be quite old by then or dead. LOL I wonder if that is true. Maybe they could do a fast forward in the end of the series finale to show how their lives progressed.

Here's an interview with Matthew Weiner about the finale.
    The 'Mad Men' Season Finale: Series Creator Matthew Weiner Discusses 'The Phantom' - NYTimes.com
    Last edited by Debb70; 06-12-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    After much thought, I'm wondering if that story Pete's lover told him about losing her memory is even true. Someone upthread mentioned that they questioned if the woman was just pretending to lose her memory. I think there's a good chance of that. Does anyone know much about it electric shock treatment at that time?
    It could go either way, I suppose. My grandmother had ECTs in the 1950s and lost huge chunks of her memory. A friend of mine had it done in late 2000 (i.e., the modern version) and to this day cannot remember a single thing about her two week trip to Haiwaii she took a few months before getting the ECTs. Results vary by patient and I believe Weiner's intent is to be ambiguous.

That being said, I really just didn't care about the Pete/Beth plot or the "ruthless Pete at work"/"sad sack Pete at home" story and that just kind of drug the finale to a grinding halt for me. Also, the "will he or won't he cheat" final shot with Don wasn't a real cliffhanger for me. Frankly, Megan annoys me so much, I want him to cheat because the women that Don's cheated with long-term have been far more interesting than Megan. So that means he probably won't and it'll be all Megan all the time next season
    dustypants and Debb70 like this.

Risks of ECT(as 0f2012)
    By Mayo Clinic staff
    Memory loss. ECT can affect memory in several ways. You may have trouble remembering events that occurred before treatment began, a condition known as retrograde amnesia. It may be hard to remember things in the weeks or months leading up to treatment, although some people do have problems with memories from years previous, as well. You may also have trouble recalling events that occurred during the weeks of your treatment. And some people have trouble with memory of events that occur even after ECT has stopped. These memory problems usually improve within a couple of months.

In the 1960's ECT was less refined so the side effects listed above were even more debilitating. Convulsions were so severe it was it was common for patients to suffer from broken bones.
    Debb70 likes this.

Thanks for the info on the electric shock treatments. Scary, but the lady said they really helped her. I don't believe her husband was forcing her to do it.

I ran across this critique and loved it! I agree with almost all of it. She discusses the entire season 5 as well as the finale.

Maureen Ryan: 'Mad Men' Finale Recap: Is That All There Is?
    redsox girl likes this.

For some reason I liked Megan's mom much more than I did Megan. I never could buy the actress who played Megan in that role. I think she was miscast. She took a huge role this season and had as much screen time as Jon Hamm. I wasn't amused. I think her acting was lacking and I'm not sure how she got the job. Almost everytime I saw her on screen, I would question that it was for real and what she was doing there.
    Couldnt agree more. I find her character portrayal irrelevant to the show. I think there are a lot more actors out there that could make it a bit meatier.
    Debb70 likes this.

Thanks for the info on the electric shock treatments. Scary, but the lady said they really helped her. I don't believe her husband was forcing her to do it.

I ran across this critique and loved it! I agree with almost all of it. She discusses the entire season 5 as well as the finale.

Maureen Ryan: 'Mad Men' Finale Recap: Is That All There Is?
    That's a good analysis. Thanks for the link. The previous two episodes before the finale were intense so the finale just kind of sat there overshadowed. I didn't feel invested in much of the plot. Indifferent to much of it.

I have read some articles about Matthew Weiner and his thoughts about the show, especially this past season. IMO his opinion of this season is overrated. I think he is more impressed with the writing this season than many others have been. I'm referring to reviews, critiques and comments from all over.

Oh, the ending of the finale with Don walking into the bar, sitting down and then the scene cuts to black, isn't that original either. Remember the series finale of The Sopranos? He says he never thought it being similiar. LOL Right. It's not that it's a bad thing, but he should just acknowledge it.
    dustypants likes this.

Thanks, Debb70, for that link...I really enjoyed her views on the show and could agree with almost everything. I think I mentioned last time I posted on this thread how it's just not balanced anymore....absolutely nothing happy/good/fun happens anymore...to anyone. I like the storyline but am left feeling disappointed.

And AcookerTV, you are probably right about how the writers "imply" rather than come right out and tell us what's going on...my problem is I'm sometimes too dense to pick up on the subtleties.
    Another thing that bothers me is that it just doesn't coincide anymore like it used to about the '60's that I remember. The clothes, the decor etc is right there but I'm not getting the true feelings from the writing that I would think would have evolved from the beginning era in earlier seasons. The attitudes/behavior of everyone seem still to be of the late '50's, even if they do throw in a token bit of representation, like Roger and his LSD. But that could just be me.

+ Reply to Thread