+ Reply to Thread
Page 92 of 141 FirstFirst ... 42828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

FORT Regular

Re: Mad Men

Wasn't it about money? Isn't it usually about money?

Quote Originally Posted by mize77 View Post
    Wasn't it about money? Isn't it usually about money?
    Huh? No! It's about the craft always about the craft!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I realize after all this time that Mad Men is a dark drama but I just thought this episode was as dark as it could get. I found it really disturbing.
    I just didn't need to see Sally's panties nor did I need a really good look, repeatedly, at poor deceased Lane.
    Some may think that this indicates great film-making but it's just not what I want to see.
    I've seen dead people.....but I just don't want to see anymore than I have to.

Maybe it's just me but it seems to me that TPTB are far more on the "dark" side of the drama with not much else to balance it.
    I love watching an era I lived in but otherwise, I'm not sure it would continue to hold me.
    Guess I'll see next season, depending on how it goes.
    It needs balance. I'd like to see just one person who's happy with life.
    momrek06 likes this.

Don walks away, the music swells. Naked Roger. Two dogs humping. SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!

What the hell was that?
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    What the hell was that?
    From where I sit, a huge let-down. Other than we saw Peggy again, which was the only dimly lit bright spot for me.
    Ellen likes this.

FORT Regular

Ken seems to be the most balanced, happy person on the show. But who knows?

Well, this was a stupid season finale.
    This is what's supposed to leave us with that I-can't-wait-for-next-season feeling?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

It may have been more subtle than things have been in past seasons, but I think that they did quite a lot of set up for wondering what happens next season. Pete pretty much tore his life apart, but his wife remains clueless. Now he has to live with that guilt. Don edged right up to returning to being his cheating philandering self ... and we don't know if he went there or not. Roger has unraveled a bit, lacking the steadying force of a woman in his life who looks after him. And Peggy has risen up to being a contemporary of Don's in many ways. AND, we know that next season, we'll have a new set to see in the re-designed multi-floor office space. It certainly wasn't anything as supsenseful as "what will the new agency be like?" or "How on earth will things work with Don and Betty divorced" like in past years ... but if you think about it, those cliff hangers could kind of logically be answered. Didn't we all have a gut feeling that Betty would still be a bad mom when married to Henry, or that the new agency would get off the ground and succeed?

I liked the subtle set-up when the 5 partners toured the new space. Pete, who is probably about to throw his family away while in an existential crisis, proudly tells Don, "I'm going to have the same view as you, Don." And in all the wrong ways, he probably will next season. Which is what gave Don's sarcastic "Congratulations" a little more weight and depth. Pete found out about Don's dark past before any of the other partners, and yet he still envies Don's looks, manner and position. I would bet he's considering himself Don's partner in crime-to-be, and is dreaming of future nights out on the town with his fellow philanderer. But I doubt Don would ever cozy up to that little worm, even in his lowest moments.
    J.D., Cootie and AcookerTV like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

So I noticed that Peggy was alone at the end. Did the boyfriend that she moved in with a few episodes ago leave? If so, I totally missed that.

I was happy to see a touch of humanity in Pete when she went to visit the woman in the hospital. I forget her character's name. The actress will always be Rory to me, lol. And then when he confronted the husband on the train about the shock treatments. Awesome.

No one ever did go off that balcony this season.

+ Reply to Thread