+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 141 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

FORT Fanatic

Re: Mad Men

Sometimes those pointy bras just make the girls look so HUGE! Joan looked gigantic last night with those things!

The gay guy wasn't married when the hand touch happened and girls in the office wanted to all date him. But we are two years down the road and he is now married WOW. Maybe more of their back story will happen and reveal how they got together. Loved the apartment fix up too.

Yea Betty's clean up was flip the trash off the blanket and go, unbelievable! They just left her there with out a thought and ran off totally 60's! Sharp comparrison to the other guy cooking and cleaning!

I think the actress who plays Joan is naturally ... ample. She's one of my favorite characters. I hope they give her more of a storyline, too.

Also, people did litter more back then, but nothing like what Betty did. My dad would have been appalled. I remember on a camping trip in 1962 my brother tossed a soda can (Cragmont!) into a frigid lake, and Dad made him swim in and get it. Mom was so worried that my brother was going to get hypothermia she let Dad have it.
    Last edited by candor; 09-08-2008 at 07:25 PM.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by candor;3192796;
    I think the actress who plays Joan is naturally ... ample. She's one of my favorite characters. I hope they give her more of a storyline, too.

Also, people did litter more back then, but nothing like what Betty did. My dad would have been appalled. I remember on a camping trip in 1962 my brother tossed a soda can (Cragmont!) into a frigid lake, and Dad made him swim in and get it. Mom was so worried that my brother was going to get hypothermia she let Dad have it.
    Too funny - wasn't Cragmont a store brand? I seem to remember it but can't place from where. Yes, I agree that people were less mindful of litter, but not as over the top as Joan, either. Sometimes, I think this show just likes to drive home the points they make.

On another note, since I'm new to the show this season, did Don Draper steal someone else's identity or just totally reinvent himself? I am assuming the latter, but would love to hear from anyone who might know. Thanks

You can Netflix the first season. Don Draper (aka Dick Whitman) stole the identity of a dead soldier in Korea, essentially faking his own death.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by candor;3193712;
    You can Netflix the first season. Don Draper (aka Dick Whitman) stole the identity of a dead soldier in Korea, essentially faking his own death.
    THanks, Candor.

Did he take someone's identity because he, himself, had done something really bad, or what was the reason?

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3194774;
    THanks, Candor.

Did he take someone's identity because he, himself, had done something really bad, or what was the reason?
    He had a rough childhood, but the main thing is that you learn in the first season (and I'm going to spoil it, because you might want to watch and see it unfold if you can)
    Click to see Spoiler:
    that his mother was a prostitute and had no idea who his father was.
    He saw a chance to leave his old identity behind and took it.

One thing I enjoy about this show is that it takes a theme and runs with it for the episode, like "The Marriage of Figaro" being about all the different marriages, and "Maidenform" being about all women fitting into two roles, either Jackie O or Marilyn. I remember in "The New Girl" being puzzled about who it referred to, but on reflection I think it was talking about Peggy - that was the one where there was a flashback to Don visiting her in the hospital, and she told him she didn't know how to get out. His advice was to put it behind her as if it never happened and he says something like, "You'll be shocked by how much it didn't happen." And she apparently did just that.

Anyway, I think "Maidenform" followed a theme so well in that there were so many mirrors in that episode, even Don and Duck. Don can't face his own daughter when he's shaving in the mirror just like Duck couldn't face down his dog. Heck, the dog even looked eerily like Don's daughter with the long shaggy ears.

This show is kind of a slow to start but once you get the slower pacing, it's addicting. I say slow pacing but actually an amazing amount of events have happened - car crashes, heart attacks, unexpected babies, losing a father in a plane crash.

I watched Swingtown all summer but I would shrug if it got canceled. This is the kind of show that makes you realize what compelling television is really like.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3194774;
    THanks, Candor.

Did you see any of last season? I was asking because there was a story line where his younger brother finds him. I won't say more either (don't want to ruin it for you) but you should try to watch it (season 1) if you can. It might still be"on demand". I'm thinking about watching season 1 again just to refresh my memory. I think that I missed a few things, at the time, that might make more sense now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by norealityhere
    THanks, Candor.

He had a rough childhood, but the main thing is that you learn in the first season (and I'm going to spoil it, because you might want to watch and see it unfold if you can) [[that his mother was a prostitute and had no idea who his father was.]] He saw a chance to leave his old identity behind and took it.

One thing I enjoy about this show is that it takes a theme and runs with it for the episode, like "The Marriage of Figaro" being about all the different marriages, and "Maidenform" being about all women fitting into two roles, either Jackie O or Marilyn. I remember in "The New Girl" being puzzled about who it referred to, but on reflection I think it was talking about Peggy - that was the one where there was a flashback to Don visiting her in the hospital, and she told him she didn't know how to get out. His advice was to put it behind her as if it never happened and he says something like, "You'll be shocked by how much it didn't happen." And she apparently did just that.

Anyway, I think "Maidenform" followed a theme so well in that there were so many mirrors in that episode, even Don and Duck. Don can't face his own daughter when he's shaving in the mirror just like Duck couldn't face down his dog. Heck, the dog even looked eerily like Don's daughter with the long shaggy ears.

This show is kind of a slow to start but once you get the slower pacing, it's addicting. I say slow pacing but actually an amazing amount of events have happened - car crashes, heart attacks, unexpected babies, losing a father in a plane crash.

I watched Swingtown all summer but I would shrug if it got canceled. This is the kind of show that makes you realize what compelling television is really like.

Many thanks for update.
    Totally agree. This show just seems to get under your skin.

Hot damn, I LOVE this show. They need to do marathons just so that everyone can get caught up and start watching. On Demand only has the shows from this season. Anybody reading this( that doesn't watch it) should find a way to see season 1 and start. It's fantastic!!!!!

I was pleased to see something finally pushed Betty over the edge, and also pleased to see that it wasn't the infidelity that did it - it was not being respected as a person.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread