+ Reply to Thread
Page 89 of 141 FirstFirst ... 39798081828384858687888990919293949596979899139 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: Mad Men

Don couldn't have fired Pete for what he did with Joan. Pete's a partner and they'd have to take a partner vote to boot Pete, and we already know how that vote goes. I don't think Don is a saint by any means, but I don't think he was being superficial by stopping by her house. His ego is so big he thought the discussion was over when he left the room--he thinks he's that important and nothing further would be done, let alone a partners' vote. Sure, that means he was butt-hurt at being ignored and that was no doubt part of the reason he went to Joan's place. But I still believe he has respect for Joan; how many as hot as Joan women on the show has he NOT hit on?

As for Joan actually going through with the deal, as degrading as it is, I still think at least it was on her terms and wasn't as horrifying to watch as Dr. Greg raping her in Roger's office, then her marrying the asshat, and then having to perform on the accordion for his doctor advisers, like a trained monkey. (In case it's not clear, I think Greg is THE worst. Well, neck & neck with Pete, at any rate. )

It made me so happy to see Freddy again! He's still sober, still working, and still a good pal to Peggy. Peggy's departure scene (while excellently played by Moss & Hamm) was, for me, Don being the bigger ass than even with his little snit fit with Megan & her Boston preview possibility. Megan decides to leave the job to pursue her acting career and she gets a lunch with the girls. Peggy doesn't get so much as a box to clean out her desk. Yeah, she was going to a competitor, but if Don hadn't taken her for granted for so long, it wouldn't have come to that. Almost bringing up the baby incident from now ~6 years ago and then that lingering hand kiss...it was just one weird scene.

There was something off about the timeline. In the last episode, they were going to work every weekend through Christmas on the Jaguar campaign. What did they do during all that time if it was just a few weeks before Valentine's Day and they had nothing to show for it? And going a bit meta for a minute, it's just odd that both Hamm and Slattery do car ads IRL.

Don actually went to see Joan to let her know that she shouldn't do anything with that sleaze ball. But he was too late! In actuality, Joan had already done the deed before he had stopped by. That is why she seemed so grateful that he voted against Pete's idea. The scene is shown before we see that she ended up with Herb (was that his name?) and after just to mess with us. I think Don is clueless at times and a cad from time to time, but very loyal to a small circle of people in his life. Too bad he miscalculated about Peggy. I am glad she called it on him by quitting, but think there is room for them to continue working together at some point.
    J.D. likes this.

I just kept thinking NO JOAN!! I know she needs money and to feel in charge of her life and her child's life without Roger or her husband.............but I just kept hoping she didn't do it. I hope it doesn't change her too much.
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Don and Joan are mirror-images of each other, which given their personalities wouldn't work in a relationship...plus they both want the most control in a relationship. Can't have two people wanting to be the controller.
    I think they know this about each other and that's why they like each other so much.
    Fairy tale-wise, we, the viewers, would love it but it wouldn't work.
    And finally, a really good show....the last couple really weren't up to par for Mad Men.
    I wonder if Joan wants control in a relationship because she hasn't found a man she can actually depend on. Yes, Joan has always used her sex appeal to try to get what she wants. She's probably mid-30's in the 1960's, which means she began working in the early 50's. (My interpretation.) As many have clearly stated, women were not regarded as equals and were not afforded the same opportunities. By the way, this sentiment has not completely died out. So if you look at the "history of Joan," she was raised by her single mother during the Depression and WWII, she probably developed early and was forced to deal with wanted and unwanted male attention, and because she is whip-smart, she probably deduced her only chance to succeed was to manipulate that male attention. It doesn't always (hardly ever) work out for her.

I don't know why Lane told her to ask for a stake in the company (another site said he didn't want her to ask for $50,000 because it would expose his forgery) but when she came into the office for her first postpartum visit, he was genuinely kind to her and showed his appreciation for her intelligence and ability. I would still love to see those two together. I think she'll save his rearend when she discovers the forged check.
    redsox girl, JulieAnn and Debb70 like this.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I just watched the episode last night. It was great! It was character-driven and storyline-driven... and reminded me why this is such a great show. It's been quite a mediocre season IMO and perhaps that speaks to why I this week was so great. Compared to other episodes from previous seasons, this particular episode might have been just the "same as always" but coming toward the end of such a mediocre season full of very mediocre episodes this one seemed to stand out even more.
    Coco46 likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

FORT Regular

Poor Lane. I really wanted it to be Pete that bit the bullet this season. But even in the midst of this terribly sad episode, I chuckled when the unreliable Jaguar wouldn't start!
    None of the characters on this show are saints, but it always seemed that Lane was a decent person who usually tried to do the right thing. So many others--esp. Don, Roger, and now even Pete--do what they want when they want. Lane seemed to at least have a moral compass, even if he didn't always follow it.
    Wonder how the guilt will undo all the good that Don has accomplished this season. Will this be what finally ends his relationship with Megan?
    But on a positive note, this is the first time I have ever found hope between Betty and Sally.

We saw it coming, but it was so tragic anyway. Poor poor Lane. They even gave him a final humiliation, when his Jaguar failed him in his final act. Was this a symbol for what Jaguar will do for SCDP, or merely a final symbol of Lane's inability to claim what's his while others get theirs?

I'm skeptical about Don's newfound hunger and anger -- Pete had the same fire last week when got the partners onboard the plan for Joan to help land Jaguar. Pete got it done -- will Don still be able to come through if Dow expresses interest? I hope so, because it will be a thorn in Pete's side since he would be left off the account.

Interesting that Megan is currently the only one who knows that Don fired Lane before he killed himself. Will the partners never find out thanks to Lane's generic goodbye letter, or will Megan let it slip to the wrong person down the road?

Sad, sad episode, with random bits of chaos tossed in (Sally). RIP Lane.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 06-04-2012 at 12:55 AM.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Outstanding episode. OUTSTANDING!
    So sad. So so soooooo sad. It was clear Lane was sitting on a time bomb. When Bert brought the check to Don... and then Don called in Lane... and Lane was crying... I just never saw that coming for some reason. I mean, it was only a matter of time before it came to light but I didn't expect it to be like this. Then when Mrs. Pryce was so proud of herself about the Jaguar and all Lane could do was bring up all that alcohol he used to try and stuff down all his feelings... I couldn't help but feel sad. I do believe this entire thing with Lane will indeed be a catalyst and Don Draper will change.

ETA: I hope the firm becomes SCDH.... the H being for either of Joan's surnames (Holloway or Harris)... and never becomes SCDC. Pete's name does not need to be on there and if I recall correctly he is a Junior partner while Joan is a full partner... and not the silent kind
    Last edited by Marlena_M; 06-04-2012 at 01:28 AM.
    J.D. likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

I knew as soon as Don spoke to Lane that Lane would kill himself. It was so sad to watch his desperation.

Did they really have to show the blood on the panties when Sally got her period? It was sweet to see Betty thaw a little bit.
    Debb70 likes this.

FORT Fogey

I thought the Jaguar not starting was a great example of the brillance of this show! They make several mentions over the past few episodes of Jaguars being unreliable. Then, in a very sad turn for the show, they find a way to throw in a little humor with the car that won't start. Thank goodness it wouldn't start ... it probably spared Lane's wife from finding him.

+ Reply to Thread