+ Reply to Thread
Page 88 of 141 FirstFirst ... 38787980818283848586878889909192939495969798138 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Inside Episode 511 Mad Men: The Other Woman - YouTube

Christina Hendricks talks bout how confusing a situation is was for Joan. Toward the end of this clip, she describes the last scene where Joan comes into Roger's office when he calls all the partners in for the Jaguar call. She talks about how Joan feels that the men have all done worse than she did in the course of doing business. But I think it's too complicated to try and justify it that way. She is definitely indispensable to the company, but she isn't in accounts and she isn't in creative. She made partner in a way that none of the men could have, or would have even wanted to. I can't see how that won't negatively affect their attitudes toward her when she tries to assert herself as a partner. (Because they are men, lol)

Either way, it should make for some more great drama.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

People do a lot of things to advance their careers. I don't fault Joan at all for the decision she made. Do you really think she would have made a different decision if Don had gotten to her first? I'm not so sure.

I'm very proud of Peggy too. She made some tough decisions and left on good terms. I loved that little smile as she walked into the elevator. Now, how long before she returns? LOL

I felt that Don throwing dollar bills in Peggy's face was more demoralizing than what Joan did. It felt that way to me.
    redsox girl likes this.

Don is not looking out for Joan, not in any sincere way. He doesn't have the character make-up to do more than offer token gestures. He's unaware of the world beyond his own narrow orbit. oShowing up at her apartment and telling Joan `it's not worth it' (interesting choice of phrase) hardly addressess the subject as to why it's `worth it it' to Joan in the first place- because it's the only realistic way she will get a raise and a stake in the company. That he didn't make it worth her while not to do it says much about his vacous mind set. Joan's great crimes are being a woman and being whip smart. So Don brought her for a spin in a jaguar and spent a few hours sitting in a bar, trying to cheer her up. Sure, sending her flowers and signing the card Ali Kahn was charming. But it's all surface, no depth. In fact, I'll go so far as to say Don's behavior over the years helped further Pete's already contemptuous behavior toward women. Don could fire Pete for this, but he doesn't. Don doesn't do much of anything if it doesn't benefit him directly. I've never seen him as anything other than a damaged human being who is driven by mostly selfish desire born from childhood. He has little insight into his own actions and has poor impulse control. It is his very ability to lie well and with charm that makes him such a great ad man, afterall.
    "Remember, sometimes your`buddy' isn't really your `buddy'." - Donny

FORT Fogey

Is there a single character on the show that looks out for anything but their own interests? Peggy probably would have fit that bill. But she acted last night on realizing that looking out for others didn't get her anywhere

In the con text of the show and the era Men don't need to sleep with anyone in business to get advancement because they are men-they would never have to deal with that type of humiliation (although I am reminded of poor Sal, who was fired by Don for well, being gay, no matter how Don wants to play it out, he was looking for an opportunity to get rid of Sal once he discovered Sal was gay. And he set up an awful double standard-disgusted by Sal's behavior when in fact Don's behavior and the behavior of his straight co-workers is far worse). So, yeah, poor Sal gets the ax for rebuking some creeps advances. But back to Joan. Men don't have to worry about being in Joan's situation because they have a chance, based on their work, to get ahead. The most they have to do is schmooze. It does not occur to any of them that the women they work with are on equal ground. In fact, they would be insulted if someone suggested a woman could be smarter or more creative. There's something else going on, as well. If Joan didn't have that knock out body and that face she'd have no opportunity whatsoever. At least in the context of this show.

No one is perfect and yes looking out for self interests is part of every character. Self-interest can come from a selfish place, for survival sake or to better ones self-it isn't always negative. I just see Don's self-interests to be driven from an extremely selfish place- from spying on Betty via a psychiatrist, falling into countless affairs while married to first wife, faking your idenity in order to flee the military, keeping up that ruse, ignoring your children, drinking like a fish, driving drunk, firing Sal for no good reason, other than you are uncomfortable with his gayness, driving your half brother to suicide in order to hide your secret, sabotaging your employees chance to have his campaign chosen because you are so insecure, writing a half cocked letter to the paper about your company w/o consulting your partners. No one on the show is perfect, but Don has much more to answer for in some ways. Don is ashamed of his roots, of who he comes from, yet he's not really any better than the adults from his childhood. He just dresses better and lives in a nicer house. I've always seen this show as a take on Don's long, slow-motion, inevitable self-destruction and how all of those actions affect those in his orbit, both negatively and positively, on the way down.

FORT Fogey

So is Don the worst person? Or is there just more to list because we see more because he is the main character?

It's not a contest -- all the characters have made some complex choices on the show, especially the choice whether to face one's past or keep running from it. It's what makes them so fascinating to watch.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

no one said it was a contest-just responding to and having conversations with other viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    no one said it was a contest-just responding to and having conversations with other viewers.
    I think MFW was responding to the post above his from AcookerTV
    MFWalkoff likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread