+ Reply to Thread
Page 87 of 129 FirstFirst ... 37777879808182838485868788899091929394959697 ... LastLast
Like Tree330Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Ugh, those scenes with Joan just devestated me! It was so tragic.
    I really loved the moment when Peggy told Don she was leaving and he just held her hand.

Only 2 episodes left. So are they building to a Don/Megan split?

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Oh my God, this is a disturbingly brilliant show.

Man, there is some kind of Abyss awaiting so many characters on this show. The season finale should be a bloodbath. (And only 2 more eps left, sad)

Don & Joan's scenes very well may have topped last week's tour de force. The way they played their scene in her apartment, then intercut her humiliating tryst with Herb with Don's gripping pitch, and then replaying the same scene in her apartment so that we discover that Don was actually too late to stop her...I got chills. And now, the dynamic has completely changed between Don & Joan from last week. Amazing.

But then, we get to see the ramifications of Joan's deal through Peggy's eyes. And it all suddenly seems ten times as sordid and wrong as it already did.

Peggy, what have you done? But then, the way Joan made partner should make any career-oriented woman in such a company want to leave that place as a lost cause. Which is quickly what SCDP is becoming. (Granted Peggy didn't know the details yet, but it was clear enough to her that such a move on their part shows where their priorities are)The Don and Megan dance: Whatever was the cause of one week's fight has become part of their witty banter the next week (ex: Dan sideways-asking her for ideas about Jaguar in the bedroom rather than having an argument). They seem very resilient, once they've both blown up at each other. But then the new week's problem sends them to their corners yet again. Which problem will be the one they can't end up turning into party talk? Her going away for 3 months might just be the thing to turn New Don back into full-blown Old Don. Oh well, not this time.

Can Pete just die, like, now? Since Lane seems destined to sit on a hand grenade soon, can he just take Pete out with him? That would be a nice artistic way to end the season...but the list of characters who might be headed out a window soon is getting too long to ponder.

Very good post, MFWalkoff.

I don't blame Peggy for getting another job. Don and company sure took her for granted. Wonder how they bring her back.

I have been waiting for the old Don Drapper to show up any minute now. End of the season maybe?

Agree about Pete. Can't he go find another job now? What a jerk!
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

LOL:

The Jaguar people thought this would be clever. But the overwhelming response so far has been hate from the west coast, for spoiling the plot.
    J.D. likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

It seems like the season just started, and there are only 2 episodes left?

Pete is really so slimy. He wasn't even uncomfortable approaching Joan with the prostitution idea.

I really felt for Joan. It was so disturbing.

Shocked that Peggy actually left. good for her. I hope Elizabeth Moss will still be on the show in some capacity.

FORT Fogey

This is the kind of episode I was talking about when I defended the "nothing" episodes. They always build to twists you just don't see coming. I think the Joan story was told brilliantly. Now, I'm really interested to see how it plays out. Joan always saw Roger as looking out for her, and that has been falling apart recently. Last night, she officially started seeing Roger as no different than Pete. Roger was the only one who didn't give her the dignity of discussing it directly with her. And at the same time, she discovers that Don is the one who has truly been looking out for her. When you realize she always took care of Roger because she thought he was doing the same, it will be interesting to see how that plays out.
    J.D., Uncle David and Coco46 like this.

Had Don valued Joan , had any of the men valued her and seen her as their equal she wouldn't have had to do what she did. That place would fall apart without Joan. If she were a man, Joan wouldn't even be in these situations because she would have a title and she would be a partner of some sort. It didn't even occur to Don to offer Joan what she demanded and deserved in terms of her job. That would have been a great way to `stop' her from sleeping with that jerk. I could feel her humiliation, her disgust. Joan's reaction to Don's plea to not sleep with the guy was to me, a subtle rebuke of his spineless plea. I know some people have said Joan and Don make a good couple but she hasn't really ever respected him, and that was really clear last year when she and Peggy sat in Joan's office rolling their eyes and mocking Don's marriage announcement. Part of her is rightfully contemptuous of the men. But she also realizes she has to sink into the muck if she wahts to obtain wjat is rigthtfully hers in the workplace.Whereas Peggy feels she can leave it's different for Joan. She is somewhat older than Peggy and comes from a different mindset-she can 't see herself being hired anywhere else for the same money with the same title.
    Sometimes it is better to be kind than it is to be right

I think it's easy to judge Joan's actions, but this is occuring in a different time and place , not in 2012. Joan is probably the smartest person in the room, so to speak. If she were a man, she'd be running her own company. Thyat she had to do what she did in order to get what she wanted is a negative reflection on the males in her life, not Joan. Sure, she could have said No, I won't do it. But then she's stuck with her same crapy title and her same lousy paycheck. She was never ever going to get advancement otherwise. Not only is it about getting more money it's about being able to raise her child.
    Again, Joan doesn't believe she has the same options as Peggy, aqnd she probably doesn't.
    Coco46 and Debb70 like this.
    Sometimes it is better to be kind than it is to be right

I'm just thinking ahead to when they want to staff up for Jaguar, and Pete told Lane to extend their credit, not knowing that Lane already did it to cover up for his financial problems. Tick tick tick... How much will Joan's share of SCDP seem worth then, to her and to the partners who struck the deal with her?

And someone on another site brought up a good point: Now that Joan has entered this slippery slope, what's to stop Herb from requesting more nights with her, threatening to pull the business if he can't get her? It happened a few seasons ago with Sal and the Lucky Strike guy...
    Debb70 likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

As MFWalkoff has stated this possibility above, I hope Joan doesn't have to continue to prostitute herself with that slimey Herb. Felt so sorry for her last night. I agree that if she had been a man in that time she would have been running her own business. Joan is smarter than all of them put together!
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

FORT Fogey

Redsox Girl, I think I disagree with the credit you are giving Joan somewhat. It can't be forgotten that Joan is where she is because of who she slept with. She got her value at Sterling Cooper by being Roger's mistress. Remember that her career advice to Peggy in the beginning was to get on the pill. Joan always dressed to show her body off and catch the men's attention in order to have power in the agency. I think she backed off that a bit when she saw that Peggy advanced on talent instead of sex. But that was still her choice. The big difference this time of course was that it wasn't Joan's choosing or a man she pursued. But being fair here, Joan was experiencing the consequence of relying on sex to advance her career.
    Debb70 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread