+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 141 FirstFirst ... 36767778798081828384858687888990919293949596136 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Don and Joan are mirror-images of each other, which given their personalities wouldn't work in a relationship...plus they both want the most control in a relationship. Can't have two people wanting to be the controller.
    I think they know this about each other and that's why they like each other so much.
    Fairy tale-wise, we, the viewers, would love it but it wouldn't work.
    And finally, a really good show....the last couple really weren't up to par for Mad Men.

I recorded and tried to watch a live interview by James Liptom of the Mad Men cast. They called most of them and the writer out to a stage with a live audience. It seemed great, but then Mr. Liptom starts asking questions. He reads the questions from a sheet of paper as if he has no idea who the people are. After a few of those questions asked in such an impersonal and dull manor, I cut it off. I may watch later. Perhaps the interview gets better. What a waste of a great interview. Isn't this guy supposed to be really good? Go figure.
    Any person who can read, off of the street could have done what this guy did.

'Mad Men' Cast And Creator Go 'Inside The Actors Studio' (VIDEO)

What is going on with Lane? Did I miss something after his father was there and he had the fling w/the playmate? Whatever happened w/them, and now he's broke and forging checks? I am sure I missed something in this storyline. He's gotten pretty creepy.

Megan and Don are such a bad match, it's going to be something to see their relationship implode. She annoys me, but there are times when I find myself on her side and see how much she wants things to work out in her life. Her teeth really annoy me all the time though; they're so distractingly bad. I was glad to see Betty back, and the weight storyline is interesting. I didn't know they had Weight Watcher's meetings in the 60s, but considering her tiny portions for Thanksgiving dinner I'm surprised the program survivied. I actually felt bad for her.

The scene with Joan and Don was so good. I liked the comfort level they have together. Who did she get flowers from though? I must have missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by navybelle View Post
    What is going on with Lane? Did I miss something after his father was there and he had the fling w/the playmate? Whatever happened w/them, and now he's broke and forging checks? I am sure I missed something in this storyline. He's gotten pretty creepy.
    He's unraveling. That very first scene with Lane on the phone with his lawyer was about him owing back taxes in England. He avoided criminal penalties but he had to come up with $8,000 in the next few days. That started the whole chain of him asking the company's banker for more credit and then passing the money off as profits to the partners with his whole 'Christmas bonus' scheme. Then Mohawk airlines went on strike, and the partners decided that the employees would get the bonuses, but the partners (including Lane) would forego their share. This was how Lane was going to front himself the money for taxes, so he finally resorted to forging a check to get the money in time.

The scene with Joan and Don was so good. I liked the comfort level they have together. Who did she get flowers from though? I must have missed that.
    Don sent them. They joked at the bar about how he was the only person in the company who never sent her flowers, which is when he said he was scared to death of her when he first started.
    navybelle likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Don had also joked about how when he first met Joan she was regularly getting so many flower deliveries, he thought she was dating Ali Khan... hence why his flower delivery was signed "Ali Khan". It was their private inside joke
    navybelle likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    Don had also joked about how when he first met Joan she was regularly getting so many flower deliveries, he thought she was dating Ali Khan... hence why his flower delivery was signed "Ali Khan". It was their private inside joke
    I loved that little touch. She would have been a good match for him after Rita!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Just watched tonight's episode. THAT is why this is one of the best offerings on television.
    J.D. and AcookerTV like this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I love the fact she has normal teeth rather than the god awful chicklet teeth populating the mouths of every starlet in Hollywood. I love her acting, I think she is drop dead gorgeous and I'm so glad she chose not to `fix' her allegedly terrible teeth. Because those teeth can be found in the mouths of millions of girls who are pretty but struggle with low self-esteem and insecurity because people think their perfectly fine teeth are `distractingly bad.' The actress who plays Megan thinks it's weird and hilarious that so many people are all worked up about her teeth not being bonded and that because of that her teeth are considered `terrible,' when in fact they are pretty much just like most people's, complete with slight ovderbite.
    I love this character too because she doesn't put up with Don's crap and she can out fox him. Loved the scene in which she forced him to eat the dinner she made when he came home late and drunk. Can't stand him. Never could. I pray the series e3nds with his self destruction.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

Oh my God, this is a disturbingly brilliant show.

Man, there is some kind of Abyss awaiting so many characters on this show. The season finale should be a bloodbath. (And only 2 more eps left, sad)

Don & Joan's scenes very well may have topped last week's tour de force. The way they played their scene in her apartment, then intercut her humiliating tryst with Herb with Don's gripping pitch, and then replaying the same scene in her apartment so that we discover that Don was actually too late to stop her...I got chills. And now, the dynamic has completely changed between Don & Joan from last week. Amazing.

But then, we get to see the ramifications of Joan's deal through Peggy's eyes. And it all suddenly seems ten times as sordid and wrong as it already did.

Peggy, what have you done? But then, the way Joan made partner should make any career-oriented woman in such a company want to leave that place as a lost cause. Which is quickly what SCDP is becoming. (Granted Peggy didn't know the details yet, but it was clear enough to her that such a move on their part shows where their priorities are)

The Don and Megan dance: Whatever was the cause of one week's fight has become part of their witty banter the next week (ex: Dan sideways-asking her for ideas about Jaguar in the bedroom rather than having an argument). They seem very resilient, once they've both blown up at each other. But then the new week's problem sends them to their corners yet again. Which problem will be the one they can't end up turning into party talk? Her going away for 3 months might just be the thing to turn New Don back into full-blown Old Don. Oh well, not this time.

Can Pete just die, like, now? Since Lane seems destined to sit on a hand grenade soon, can he just take Pete out with him? That would be a nice artistic way to end the season...but the list of characters who might be headed out a window soon is getting too long to ponder.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 05-28-2012 at 01:38 AM.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Just when I thought Pete couldn't get any smarmier. Ick. Hate him. So prostitution is how Joan is going to reclaim her independence? Maybe this change in the power dynamic at the firm will make things interesting, but I hate that they went there.

I want Megan to get the part in Boston just so she can let loose on Don with a line about being in the middle of tech!
    canadian_angel likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread