+ Reply to Thread
Page 85 of 141 FirstFirst ... 35757677787980818283848586878889909192939495135 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Ugh! I dislike Megan and those scenes between Don and Joan just made my dislike grow. I don't really want Don and Joan to go beyond what they are. Those scenes last night were plenty hot! That chemistry!!

I also believe that Don was right in his first reaction to Megan. She does seem to use her rage as a bit of play before heading to the bedroom. I also thought her reaction was ridiculous. Sure, Don needs to be told/put in place, but there are better ways to do it.

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Megan acted like a child. I really do not like her character at all. Joan and Don were fabulous together. I'm worried for Lane, I really like him, and I see this as possibly the beginning of the end for him. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

To be clear, I thought the scenes between Don and Joan were awesome because Jon Hamm and Christina Hendricks have great chemistry with one another being (a) they've worked together many years and (b) they're good actors in their own right. I don't 'ship Don/Joan any more than I do, say, 'ship Peggy/Bert. It truth, it reminded me a lot of the scenes I loved between Don and Anna and even the Don/Peggy scene (I think in a flash-back) post Peggy's pregnancy. Don might be white knighting it a bit, but with that trio of women, I genuinely don't believe he ever wanted to have a tryst with any of them. (Perhaps pre-1960 Don might have had a crush on Joan, but like he said last night, he was scared of her.)

Yeah, sure Don could have found a payphone or used the hotel bar phone and called Megan, but my take on him is that since he's shared everything from really being Dick Whitman, to Anna, to past affairs with Megan and he really *is* happy and thinks he's come clean. And, to that end, what's the bother with hanging out with a long-time co-worker who is in a world of hurt? Don knows the way it works--Joan would sooner go back to Roger (in Don's mind) than hook up with Don, so they're just old friends (been working together ~9+ years) who are both a bit flirty when drinking. That's why she doesn't dance with him and he encourages her to chat up the single guy at the bar.

I am still stupidly mesmerized by that plate of plain spaghetti. I thought by '66 Campbell's Soup & Jello had cornered the market on convenience cooking. The ever-so vomit inducing green bean/mushroom soup casserole had been around 10+ years by then. (Yeah, yeah, y'all love it. If I catch wind of it, I'm out for the count. )
    MFWalkoff likes this.

I don't see much difference in Joan's anger fit when she let the receptionist have it and threw some object and Megan did the same with Don. I think people let things slide too much with Don, so Megan's tantrum, didn't bother me this time. Don't forget he did ditch her at Howard Johnson's month's ago. She took off. She's not one to let Don run over her.

Oh, one thing I didn't buy was that Joan would be refusing to accept money for her son from Roger. Wouldn't a college fund be nice? Does she make so much money that she can afford to refuse money? That sounds implausible IMO.

Maybe it's more that she doesn't want Roger having the chance to assume himself into her life that far. It could be more about controlling the dynamics of their relationship, and keeping him at arm's length, since she knows he isn't her knight in shining armor.
    canadian_angel likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

I agree MFWalkoff. I think that there was a time that Joan saw herself with Roger at some point. When he left his first wife and married the second, I think her eyes were opened to where she REALLY ranked in his life. Joan realized that she'd allowed Roger to keep her at arms length, and she needed to move beyond him. Now, if she were to take money from him, she'd be allowing herself to fall back into the trap of being his number 2 girl, but never being treated by him the way she used to dream of being treated

These are good ideas about Joan not wanting Roger having control over her, but still.....turning down money for college, when you are a working mom, sounds odd IMO. Also, I wonder what if any support her husband continued to provided. I think there was some comment about that in the last episode.

FORT Fogey

There's that old story, sometimes attributed to Winston Churchill, about a woman being asked if she'd have sex with someone for $10 million, and she says yes. The man then says "Now we've established you will be a prostitute, after this, its just haggling about the cost". I think to some degree, that applies here with Joan ... though not in terms of prostitution. I can appreciate your point Deb about the cost of raising a child as a single mom. Of course in the 1960s, attending college and the cost of college was not quite as top of mind for parents. But I think we can all agree there are some things Joan could do for money that she would NOT agree to in order to raise her son -- illegal activity, etc. Once it is established there are some lines Joan would NOT cross, it's just a matter of haggling about exactly where the line is. For Joan, allowing Roger to have that kind of influence and control of her and Kevin's life is on the other side of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I don't see much difference in Joan's anger fit when she let the receptionist have it and threw some object and Megan did the same with Don. I think people let things slide too much with Don, so Megan's tantrum, didn't bother me this time. Don't forget he did ditch her at Howard Johnson's month's ago. She took off. She's not one to let Don run over her.
    I just feel that she finds (sometimes legitimately but mostly not) things to be whiny about.

I think Joan knows Roger better than he knows himself. He thinks throwing money around will make people do what he wants. She was a fling while he was with his first wife, then his second wife. There would never be a future because she knows how he is. He will always do whatever it takes to make himself happy. I think she's doing the right thing.
    Cootie likes this.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread