+ Reply to Thread
Page 84 of 129 FirstFirst ... 34747576777879808182838485868788899091929394 ... LastLast
Like Tree327Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Good grief! This show has gone from being the very best thing on tv to a humdrum boring show about nothing.
    I'm so disappointed. And we waited for a long time for it to come back and this is what we get.
    Sheesh.
    Ellen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I know, it's not as good as I would like it to be. I'm trying to recall if there have been previous seasons in which I felt it was going no where. I'm not sure.

I did feel like slapping Betty. Her frustration at not being able to cause trouble with Sally, Megan and Don was a joy to see though. She's a real evil woman IMO.

This episode also made me respect and like Megan more. She seemed to know what Betty was trying to do, even when Don didn't. She also is so much more honest and caring with Sally than her mom. Lots of regrets and apologies in this episode.

Can someone help me with this? I didn't record it and can't recall the joke that Roger told in the elevator when the show first started. He made a couple of funny comments, but this one stood out. Can you recall?

I still feel death is lurking this season. There was also mention of it too. I forgot to write down who said it.
    The show's own demise, perhaps? It seems as if all the smart writers left the building this season.
    Last edited by Critical; 05-17-2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: fixed broken quote tags
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

FORT Fogey

I think this season is playing out like just about every season, so I'm surprised to see so many people writing it off. Inside the Actors Studio this week featured Mad Men. On it, Matt Weiner said that he starts writing each season knowing how it is going to end, and writes everything to develop to that ending. I think that's been true every season. Each one starts with some set up, then in the middle things just kind of "develop" without anything BIG happening. Then at the end, things pick up speed and we finish thinking "Wow, what just happened" I still have faith this season will end with everyone saying "Wow, what just happened?"
    Cootie and Debb70 like this.

I'm surprised by the negative reaction as well -- I'm still hanging on every word as I watch each episode.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Has anyone read any spoilers lately? Please tag as spoiler, if you did.

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

I still love this show, but the whole Megan/Don story line just doesn't feel right to me. I would like to see Megan leave soon, Don get move involved in the business, Roger and Joan hook up, and Peggy finally do something other than be little more than an extra. I did really love watching Lane beat up Pete though, I would enjoy seeing more friction between those two.
    Cootie and Coco46 like this.

OK this episode was all over the place, with Hare Krishnas & kinky sex, a really bitchy Pete, Lane apparently falling into the abyss, Don turning into different person, Megan turning into Sally only worse...my head hurts.

But despite all that, it was worth it for the scenes with Don and Joan at Jaguar and in the bar. Two incredible actors performing a brilliant, flirtatious one-act play. It's the scene I think we've been anticipating for a long time, and they nailed it. Don may be headed for a wall, but his scenes with Joan were like a gift to fans. I could watch those parts of the episode over and over.
    J.D. and Coco46 like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

The scenes with Don and Joan now rank at the very top of my favorite scenes from the series. It was beautifully played.

Paul at first cracked me up with his Hare Krishna deal, but then it just became sad. And Lane should have just asked Roger for some cash; he probably had about $3K on him anyway.

Gotta question about the food: back in the Megan's parents episode, Megan fixed "spaghetti" for the kids which appeared to be just plain noodles--maybe some butter or olive oil. Then it seems like this was the same meal she made last night for her and Don. Is it a ham-fisted "Megan needs comfort food from her childhood" thing or does she just not know how to cook more than 2 things?
    Duxxy and MFWalkoff like this.

I rather liked the way Megan behaved when Don arrived home late and drunk. Betty would have likely just steamed on the inside and kept her rage inside. Don needs to be called on the carpet at times.

FORT Fogey

I think we're supposed to be getting the idea that Meghan does not know how to cook. I've said before that at the start of the series, Peggy, Joan, and Betty represented the three paths there were for women at the start of the women's movement. Betty wanted a career as a model, but did the "right thing" and gave that up to be a housewife. Joan worked as a secretary, and used her sex appeal rather than her work to get ahead. Peggy took a job as a scretary as was expected of her, and then discovered by mistake really that she had talent and started to advance in her career, without ever really planning to. I think that Meghan represents the next step. She enjoyed having a career at times, but also felt empty by not finding exactly what she wanted. She wants to be a wife, but is not entirely sure of how to do it - how to cook, how to consistently take care of the kids, etc. Meghan shows that she's had a hint that there are choices available to her, but she's not entirely sure of how to respond to having choices.

+ Reply to Thread