+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 141 FirstFirst ... 30707172737475767778798081828384858687888990130 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Re: Mad Men

Color me clueless but the only part that made any sense was Roger and Jane being on LSD. I totally did not get Peggy or Ginsburg or Don & Megan. I may watch it again but honestly I do not think it would help one bit.
    dustypants likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I loved that Bert finally had some relevance to the plot. It's been too long! Megan was rightfully perturbed at Don, but crossed a line at the "call your mother" line and she knew it. Where they go after this episode (door kicking in and all) holds my interest. However, inasmuch as I like Peggy, I really don't care about her & Abe nor do I care about Ginsburg and his Mars/concentration camp background story. That seems quirky for the sake of quirky.

But oy, the HoJo scene...took me back to a time when I was a little kid & me and my sister insisted on ice cream after dinner at a HoJo. We were on a trip up to the northern relatives and stopped at one for dinner. The ice cream took forever to come out and finally we got on the road. Had me & the sis not insisted on the ice cream and our parents indulged us, we would have been in a tornado. HoJos give me the willies because of that experience.
    Debb70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    AMAZING episode! I was transfixed, I didn't want it to end. Great stuff from everyone tonight, even Bert!

Roger on LSD! I laughed really loud at those first effects. And Peggy standing up to the Heinzmeister -- that was cool! And Don & Megan -- finally we get to see the twisted side of things play out in technicolor! Good to know Don's not THAT changed, he's just screwed up in a different way.

I hate having to wait a week for the next one!
    I'm not so sure that I loved this episode as much as you did. Please expound on it if you would.

I'm not sure what to make of Peggy. Why would she have handled that stranger at the movies like that? That kind of bothered me.

I didn't understand the trip to see the Howard Johnson's either. Weren't they supposed to spend the night and return the next day? So why did they both return home after riding all night and go to work on no sleep the next day? (When Megan was running all around the apt. I just knew she was going to go flying off of that balcony.)

Anyone with perspective on Roger and his wife? Did she really want out of the marriage. Did Roger?

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I'm not so sure that I loved this episode as much as you did. Please expound on it if you would.

I'm not sure what to make of Peggy. Why would she have handled that stranger at the movies like that? That kind of bothered me.

I didn't understand the trip to see the Howard Johnson's either. Weren't they supposed to spend the night and return the next day? So why did they both return home after riding all night and go to work on no sleep the next day? (When Megan was running all around the apt. I just knew she was going to go flying off of that balcony.)

Anyone with perspective on Roger and his wife? Did she really want out of the marriage. Did Roger?
    I think Peggy just wanted to be in charge of a man - in her own way - after being shot down by Heinz. She had control over that guy that she doesn't have over any other.

I'm not really sure about the trip to the Howard Johnson's either. I thought it was a Friday night/Saturday thing. The time line was definitely hard to follow. I guess if my husband left me like that, I'd go home too. It doesn't seem like she has many other people to turn to. Don's attitude when he got home was confusing. Maybe he didn't have anywhere else to go either, and thought that home would be the best place to find her?

Don's whole "do what I say, just don't leave me" manner is kind of vague, but hopefully it will be explained when we learn more about Megan. He has changed so much from when he was with Betty. The nearly rape-like sex is bothersome, too. And then they play so nice at the office. Weird. It surprised me that Don shared his Dick Whitman secret with Megan. Theirs is definitely a strange relationship.

After having been in a couple of those volatile relationships myself, I know that going to work with no sleep might not be out of the ordinary. But like you say, it was supposed to be an overnighter, so that doesn't make sense.

As far as Roger and Jane go....obviously he wants out. He loves Joan, and now Joan has his baby. His wanting out seems natural. I don't think Jane is happy with Roger, but she is happy with the lifestyle he gives her, and did plan to stay, until the acid let that little tidbit slip out.

Then again, I could be completely wrong about everything I just said, and Weiner would laugh at my guesses. Who knows with Mad Men? Weiner's always ten steps ahead of me.

I guess I just asked more questions than offered answers. Sorry about that.
    Debb70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post

Same here, I was just waiting for Megan to take a dive off that balcony. I do believe both Roger and Jane wanted out of that marriage. They're both disillusioned and bored. She couldn't say it and hence needed to "be in the truth" with Roger... the drugs allowed her to say what she'd been thinking and wanted to say. That was her purpose for wanting to go to the dinner party her "doctor" was having and take the LSD her "doctor" had been telling her about (or pushing her way perhaps). Roger took the LSD just to appease Jane and he, too, finally said what he'd been thinking. I'm glad that relationship is on the way out... both stupid and doomed from the start if you ask me. Not sure why Roger is so OK with the fact that it's "going to be expensive" because I'm surely willing to bet he's paying a nice chunk of alimony to wifey #1 still!!!

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

The timeline surrounding the trip to HoJo's seemed "normal" to me (and yes I say that in quotes since really, when it comes to Matt Weiner, the term "normal" is about as relative as possible! LOL!). They were to go and spend the night... and when Don appeared in the office the next morning Dawn certainly did say she was surprised to see him since she expected him to be gone still.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Holy crap! That's how I usually feel but up until the end, I was wishing for more Roger/Sally scenes because they were so cute together until Roger & Megan's mom's scene. (Walking the PG-13 line there--y'all know what I mean.) I also love that they finally brought Ray Wise back as Ken's FIL. That one throw-away scene last season has stuck in my craw because why bring a name actor like Wise for a tiny dinner scene? I was about to conclude he just loved the show and wanted to be on for any reason; heck, he got more time on Psych!

I'm glad that Megan is actually worth her salt on the copy-writing and reading the clients; she's a good asset to SDCP. I understand Peggy's hesitance to "live in sin" and Joan's reaction, but I can't honestly understand Peggy expecting her mother to react in any other way. I come from a Catholic family and when my cousin "shacked up" with her now-husband back in the late 80s it was met with the same reaction by the older generations--and they were engaged and basically reno'ing a house they'd bought for living in after marriage.

It was strange -- I was about 50 minutes into the episode thinking, "Everything is going so great for people, this has been such a light-hearted episode -- something REALLY bad must be happening at the end, like a bomb going off in the ballroom!"

Then in the last 5 minutes, all the stories were flipped -- Peggy's mom shunned her; Megan's dad showed us that Megan's heart isn't really in advertising, which comes at a time when Don is finally ready to accept her as a work partner; Roger's cuteness with Sally is blown sky high when Sally catches him and Megan's mom in a compromising position (to say the least); Don learns that his Anti-Smoking Ad stunt got him blackballed more than admired by corporate America. BOOM!

Lots of quotable lines from this week! Good stuff.
    Marlena_M likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I loved the episode last night. Can someone please fill in one part for me. My tv suddenly changed channels for no reason! I just missed a few seconds. It was the part where Megan and her dad were sitting at the banquet dining table and talking. It was just the two of them. What was said. From the posts above I think she may have said she didn't like her job. Please elaborate.

Why do you all think they are playing Megan up so much? She is a character that many viewers did not like in the beginning. It seems like she is doing such a great job with the agency, with Don's kids and keeping Don from straying. How is this? Are they setting us up for a fall? Is Megan too good to be true? I just seem to have this nervous feeling when watching her, like she's going to disappear or something. She did do that last week....for a little while.

What is Roger's plan for the Lucky Strike deal?

FORT Fogey

I don't remember all the details of Megan's talk with her dad, but in short, he said she hadn't worked for anything she had, she just fell into it. She defended herself, and he implied she wasn't doing what she really cared about, or living what she really wanted to be doing. She acknowledged that, but in all honesty, I could not tell if that is because he was right, or because she didn't want to fight with her dad so she just said what he wanted to hear. I think they are playing Megan up so much, because she makes things interesting. We get to see a different side of Don in marriage which may be due to Megan being so wonderful in his eyes, but may also be because he doesn't want to be seen as failing on a second marriage. We get to see sometimes that she's very much in tune with Don's kids, and other times it seems like she's just putting up with them because she has to. And we get to see the dynamic between her and Peggy - Megan is living the life that people perceived Peggy was. People said Peggy only got her job because she was sleeping with Don, and has no real talent. Megan actually did get her job because she was sleeping with Don. And now we're starting to see that she does in fact have talent. However, because she knows people think she's where she is only because she's sleeping with Don, she's scared to show the talent she has, and will settle for other people getting the credit for it.
    Debb70 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread