+ Reply to Thread
Page 76 of 129 FirstFirst ... 26666768697071727374757677787980818283848586126 ... LastLast
Like Tree330Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

I have read somewhere, (it may have been here upthread) that Mad Men has no good people. They point to Don and how he has hurt people and seems to only look out for himself. They also point out how none of those characters have much integrity. I wonder if that is true. Are any of the characters really good people? I have always liked Peggy, though she is not perfect. I don't see anything terrible about her. Do you?

Betty has been pretty cruel to her kids before. Pete, well, recall how he forced himself on that young virgin in his apt. building?

Also, does anyone believe that when the doctor called with news to Betty about her tests results that she lied to her husband the results were bad and not as she told him?

FORT Fogey

I hadn't thought about the idea of her lying about the test results, but I don't think that's the case. If it was, they'd have to kill off her character. I don't see that happening because I don't see Don and Megan lasting long, and it would be too complicated to have Don raising three children on his own. Betty is needed if for no other reason that she allows the kids to appear when it helps a storyline, and dissappear when it's too complicated to explain them.

Teach your children well Uncle David's Avatar

I also felt that Betty lied to her husband.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    I also felt that Betty lied to her husband.
    It would make for a more difficult storyline, but it is possible. With cancer of the thyroid, they would just remove it right. I know people who have had that done. They then must take meds to replace the thryoid hormone for the rest of their life.

Betty heard her friend describe just how terrible it was to have cancer. Recall she said she had rather tell the kids she was hit with a bus than suffering with cancer. I just figured that Betty was going to live in denial. She is good at that.

Megan's teeth are way too huge for her mouth, and it's distracting to me - I can't see anything else when she talks. Sometimes I feel for her, but otherwise I'm so suspicious of her and don't see the fit with Don. Interesting how they were stressing the age difference so far.

I really don't care for Pete, still. He's being so rude and disrespectful, I'm sure there's some karma coming down his way pretty soon. Roger sure has his issues, but I do like the character and don't want to see his role diminished.

January Jones still looked so pretty, even with the fat suit! Was that dinner-table scene a dream/fantasy, or what? I didn't get it. It occurred to me that she might have been lying about the test results too, but considering her responses on the phone, I'm not sure that would fit.

What about that new copywriter? Looks like it will be interesting, especially the way he plays off Peggy. He's kind of cute too - who is the actor, I wonder?

Loved it when Roger saw the baby in the office - that was an awesome scene. It's so disturbing to see Joan interact with her mother - there are lots of problems there, which I"m sure will play out. I think it's neat to see the costuming and props staff being true to the 60s even with baby items - those plastic pants over the diaper? I remember those!

I've never watched any season of this show "live" - just on dvd and OnDemand, so I miss the extra scenes and actually the explanations! There's so much I don't pick up on, and I love it when they explain things about the episodes that make it so much more interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by navybelle View Post

What about that new copywriter? Looks like it will be interesting, especially the way he plays off Peggy. He's kind of cute too - who is the actor, I wonder?
    The actor is Ben Feldman - IMDb

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

OMG! For all other thing that happened in this episode--Don's fevered dream, Sally being drugged, Peggy and Dawn--I'm just sooooo thrilled Joan tossed Dr. McRapey on his ass. The cherry on the top was her referring to the rape as she booted him. Joanie needs to get back to the office ASAP.
    J.D. and brunette trixie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by navybelle View Post
    January Jones still looked so pretty, even with the fat suit!
    FAT SUIT???

January Jones was very (8 Months) pregnant IRL when the filming began for Season 5 on August 8, 2011. She gave birth to her son on September 13, 2011. I do not think she was wearing a fat suit.

Have not seen this weeks epi yet.
    J.D. likes this.
    KAREN

Gotta love the Mouse! JORY'sMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    FAT SUIT???

January Jones was very (8 Months) pregnant IRL when the filming began for Season 5 on August 8, 2011. She gave birth to her son on September 13, 2011. I do not think she was wearing a fat suit.

Have not seen this weeks epi yet.
    I did read somewhere that it was a combination of her being pregnant and also some prosthetics which gave the look of the weight gain.

She did not look as 'big' in last night's episode, although it was only the brief scene.

I think she did have some prosthetics around her chin and face. There were plenty of pics of her online when she was pregnant and her face was not full like it has been on the show.

Sorry, but if someone I barely knew was staying in my house, I wouldn't leave my purse in a place where they had easy access to it and that has nothing to do with race. Maybe Peggy didn't want to grab her purse in case Dawn thought she was doing it because of race and she didn't want to offend her.
    Uncle David and Debb70 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread