+ Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 141 FirstFirst ... 23636465666768697071727374757677787980818283123 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: Mad Men

I watched the last half-dozen or so shows of the previous season and I have my Old Fashioned made (gotta sip slowly for 2 hours). I am beyond ready for the show to start!
    Uncle David likes this.

So I guess we've moved about a year later than the season 4 finale -- Joan had her baby and her mother (Martha Hooper from Desperate Housewives, lol) is helping out while Dr. Hubby is away; Don & Megan are married and have a nice new house. Don is approaching his 40th birthday.

First anachronistic moment: Roger's secretary looks at him after he asks a snarky question and says, "Really?" -- that's a phrase that became popular in the 2000s.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Hmm...Don told Megan all about his past, or at least as much as he needed to. She called him Dick Whitman, and knew this birthday wasn't his "real" one...
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Thus far, I'm loving the "olds" vs. the "youngs" especially at the party. Stan kinda grated on my nerves last season, but so far tonight he's growing on me.

Joan's grand entrance in the office is exactly what's so great about this show...it was completely subtle, nobody raised their voice or even moved that much, but it had me laughing out loud like I was watching a French farce, complete with slamming doors!
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

I watch this show, and wonder what goes through the minds of those who are in their 20s, 30s, and 40s. It all must seem so foreign.
    Coco46 and Debb70 like this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    I watch this show, and wonder what goes through the minds of those who are in their 20s, 30s, and 40s. It all must seem so foreign.
    I was a little girl during the time they are portraying now. I'm trying to recall just how things were. Last night my mom said she had a sweater EXACTLY like the one Megan had on on the first day back to the office!

Okay. What's going to happen to Don and Megan. It's not going to work IMO. Did anyone think Megan was close to going off that balcony at one point, after she discovered that Don wasn't crazy about the birthday party? Is she stable?

Hottest scene last night IMO was Don's bare stomach as he was lying on the floor!!!!! Oh Don! Sexy devil.

Will Joan's husband ever come home alive? Will he ever see that baby? Notice the look Roger gave him?

Interesting storyline going on with Lane. What's up with his wife?

I'm afraid Roger is going to drop dead from another heart attack.

Can't wait til next week. Betty will be back with her husband.

There is something kinda 'off' about Megan. I also thought for a second she was going to go off the balcony. I guess this will change if she has any children, but I am surprised that she still works. I was not alive then, but from everything I have ever heard about this era, married ladies did not work if the husband had a good job.
    Debb70 likes this.

I like the weird dynamic that Don & Megan have so far -- I think she's just really young and still riding the high of seeing her supposed dreams coming true so fast. She got the handsomest guy, plus she got an instant boost up the ladder in terms of having a career. She's incredibly ambitious, which I think is why we find out that Don has already shared all (or at least some) of his past secrets with her, and she seems to have let it roll off her back without judgment. In fact she seems to be fine with being his partner in crime, and actually has the energy for it. I don't think Don is used to a woman like this, one who he (supposedly) doesn't need to hide anything from. But Don is Don, and we'll see which old habits threaten to come back first.
    Debb70 likes this.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

When I think of Don, I think of that saying that "People don't change." LOL I do wonder if Don is more invested in that marriage than Megan.

+ Reply to Thread