+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 141 FirstFirst ... 18585960616263646566676869707172737475767778118 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4097990;
    Ha! I remember it to! I was singing it to my daughter! It's funny how many of those old jingles that I can remember. Tell me if you remember this one because I seem to be the only person who does. There was a company called "Mission Pack" that shipped fruit in gift packs. Every xmas they played the same commercial! The song was:
    Say the magic word,
    Say Mission Pack,
    and it's on it's merry way!
    No gift so bright, so gay, so right
    Give the Mission Pack magic way
    To find your nearest Mission Pack store, PHONE,
    Adams 2-4184!
    Oh, definitely yes!!!
    My brother and I always knew when Christmas season started as soon (right after Thanksgiving) as we saw those black and white Mission Pak ads. (That was way before stores started putting out Christmas stuff around Halloween!!.)
    And thanks to you, while researching this, I found out that the man, George C. Page, who created Mission Pak also founded the Page Museum in Los Angeles, which I've been to many times, but didn't know it was Mr. Mission Pak. Wiki says his business started because he began sending fresh California fruits to his family in snowy Nebraska at Christmas time and other people started asking him to do the same for their family & so it began.
    I sure love the internet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4098594;
    Oh, definitely yes!!!
    My brother and I always knew when Christmas season started as soon (right after Thanksgiving) as we saw those black and white Mission Pak ads. (That was way before stores started putting out Christmas stuff around Halloween!!.)
    And thanks to you, while researching this, I found out that the man, George C. Page, who created Mission Pak also founded the Page Museum in Los Angeles, which I've been to many times, but didn't know it was Mr. Mission Pak. Wiki says his business started because he began sending fresh California fruits to his family in snowy Nebraska at Christmas time and other people started asking him to do the same for their family & so it began.
    I sure love the internet!!!
    Funny! After I posted, I looked up "Mission Pac" too!( I tried to find the old commercial on you tube but had no luck) I was reading the same things that you were! Great minds think alike! Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4099034;
    Funny! After I posted, I looked up "Mission Pac" too!( I tried to find the old commercial on you tube but had no luck) I was reading the same things that you were! Great minds think alike! Ha!
    Love it!! and I'd love to see an old commercial of it. Something like that can really trigger a memory. Awhile ago, I found the Chiquita Banana and Nestle's Chocolate commercials. (N-E-S-T-L-E-S spells chocolate)

ARGH! This suuuuucks!
    'Mad Men' season 5 premiere date set for 2012, says AMC; No deal with creator Matthew Weiner yet

BY Richard Huff
    DAILY NEWS TV CRITIC

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 10:20 AM
    'Mad Men' season 5 premiere date is set for 2012, according to AMC, despite claims that creator Matthew Weiner may not sign a deal.
    AMC

In a drama worthy of "Mad Men" itself, the folks at AMC say the '60s set series will be back for fifth season even though there's still no deal with show creator Matt Weiner.

Details, details, details.

The latest round of speculation over the future of "Mad Men" hit Monday night when word surfaced that Weiner was not digging AMC's request to add two minutes of commercial time to each episode, and cut two characters.

The partners apparently agreed on Weiner's new pay package -- $30 million over two years -- according to Deadline.com, making him one of the highest paid show runners working in cable TV.

They were now stuck on the other aspects of the deal -- the fine points -- which Deadline reported also includes a potential for product integration into the show, a common practice on most series, as a way to increase revenue.

From AMC's standpoint, "Mad Men" is a franchise that helped put the network on the map.

Moreover, requests for more commercial time would give the network a shot at capitalizing off of "Mad Men's" small, but influential audience.

The latest "Mad Men" negotiation gurgle has fans of the show concerned, as well as those following the talks closer than world events, that the show may never see the light of day.

Not so fast, according to AMC.

"AMC has officially authorized production of season 5 of Mad Men, triggering our option with Lionsgate ('Mad Men's' production company)," the network said in a statement. "While we are getting a later start than in years past due to ongoing, key non-cast negotiations, 'Mad Men' will be back for a fifth season in early 2012."

"Mad Men" is set in an advertising agency in the '60s. The show has earned fantastic critical reviews for Weiner's keen attention to period details and sharp dialog. The show has also racked up Emmy wins. Despite the critical acclaim, "Mad Men" has generated audiences far lower than the kind of media attention it generates.

To that end, given the importance of the project to the network and Weiner, a back and forth with threats of not going forward during negotiations is expected.
    'Mad Men' season 5 premiere date set for 2012, says AMC; No deal with creator Matthew Weiner yet

Why does AMC have to mess with this show? Before Mad Men, AMC was just a network that showed movies that often weren't classics. Cut two characters? I have an idea - let's cut the network execs who came up with that idea! Fall is going to suck without my weekly dose of Don Draper!
    Last edited by Critical; 03-29-2011 at 03:45 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fan

Mad Men put AMC on the map... this is so sad!

I agree that Mad Men did bring a lot of acclaim to AMC. However, it's more critical acclaim than commercial acclaim.
    I fault Weiner more than AMC.
    I just cannot imagine not having Mad Men this summer!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

My feeling is that the show brought AMC legitimacy and paved the way for them to do other shows like Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead. They should be kissing Matthew Weiner's feet! The massive critical acclaim for MM should bring him more autonomy and power over his own show, not less. Telling him to eliminate two characters is not cool. If he's done so much for their network, they should trust him to do what he needs to do. It sounds to me like network execs getting greedy.
    Last edited by Critical; 03-29-2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: derp
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I don't care if Mad Men stays with AMC. Can't they take it to another network? Are the actors under contract with AMC? I tend to think AMC needs him more than he needs them. They need to get on board. It's just ridiculous.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but... I would think the actors are under contract to the production company... and it's a network which pays for the distribution rights to air the show. Much like Charlie Sheen was under contract to Warner Bros Television, not CBS (who paid for the right to air Two and a Half Men).

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Last edited by Critical; 03-30-2011 at 05:25 PM.

+ Reply to Thread