+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 141 FirstFirst ... 15555657585960616263646566676869707172737475115 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

It was more like a regular episode than a finale. I was totally underwhelmed and though there were moments of the episode that were really squeel worthy (Peggy, Joan, Peggy and Joan), the best moment would have to be Roger's "Who is that?"!

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;4086315;
    And poor Sally, Bobby, and Gene, with no Carla in their lives one of the only stable people they know is gone.
    I've always felt a little sorry for Betty because I think I would have lost my mind if I had to be a housewife at that time. .
    Hey, maybe that explains my problem, having been a housewife during that time, altho a few years behind Betty.

It's a good reason to rationalize why I enjoy watching all the Real Housewife shows.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;4086732;
    It was more like a regular episode than a finale. I was totally underwhelmed and though there were moments of the episode that were really squeel worthy (Peggy, Joan, Peggy and Joan), the best moment would have to be Roger's "Who is that?"!
    That was sooooo funny! I cracked up when Roger said referring to Megan, "Who's that?" LOL I wonder if Roger will have the nerve to say one word about Megan after he got so upset when Don spoke disapproval when Roger married his secretary.

I try to look at the show sort of like my parents did who were raising their family during that time. My mom was a few years younger than Megan. She had her kids very young. My dad was about Megan's age. They had two kids. We had a lady sort of like Carla for awhile. The show rings very true to me.

FORT Regular

This is in response to MrMet and MFWalkoff, because I am not smart enough to copy only the part of your comments that I want to use.

Like you, I enjoyed last night's episode. It makes perfect sense to me that Don would pick someone who was good to his children. Maybe he is evolving enough to consider them a priority. Evidently with Megan he found some peace and calm, and heaven knows there's precious little of that at work. Megan is smart, pretty, educated, kind (or at least so far) and not afraid of sex. I see this as a good move for him but only time will tell if it's a positive move for Megan. As a parent, I think that whether or not someone could love my kids would be the deciding factor in who I married. (Tui, tui, tui, we should all live and be well!) But I can't see Megan sitting back and letting Don philander his way across NYC. I think she's young and pretty enough--and this can be an ace in the hole--to demand more from him than Betty could. I see her as much smarter and nicer than Jane, who was simply looking for a husband from the outset. She doesn't care what Roger does as long as the money keeps flowing.

As for Faye, it seemed that she was playing Don at the beginning of the season. She knew exactly how to respond to his sloppy advances, in the mode of playing hard to get. However, in the last few episodes, she seemed to genuinely care for him. The transfer of Don's emotions from Faye to Megan seemed a little to fast to be believable. Of course, the way time jumps on this show, who knows how long it has been?

I did not like the scene with Joan and Peggy. Joan has been a real b@#&*! to Peggy this season; this was supposed to be a time of deep bonding? However, I am really glad that Joan didn't have an abortion. I can't tell her age in the show, but I'm guessing mid-30's. As she sat in the doctor's office, I thought she was considering that this baby might be her last chance.

Funny the difference between S4 finale and S3's. Last year Betty had so much to look forward to and Don's world was crumbling. Now vice-versa. I wish they'd write Betty's character with one shred of redeeming value. Why is it we can watch Don lie, swindle, and cheat without stopping and we can still care about his character but most of us cannot stand Betty? Seriously, any thoughts?

I think most of us don't like Betty because she has always been a cold fish and has also been very mean to her children. There's just something wrong with her!
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

Actually, I like Betty. I think she's so accurate for that time period that it's uncanny. She's a much better actress than she gets credit for. The fact that so many dislike her is testament to that. We're supposed to.
    Whereas, with Don, we still like him.
    The show really does a great job of portarying, quite accurately, how men and women were viewed back then.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Betty has always been quite devious IMO. Do you recall that young man from the stables she used to lead on. Remember how she set up this joke on him by not showing up to meet him once. Seems like she got an odd pleasure from her scheme. I wonder if she is just disappointed with her life. Remember she wanted to be a model, but gave it up for Don, marriage and children. I think she resented them all for it.

Now we have Megan. Remember how Megan talked about her career goals right before she had sex with Don the first time? If those dreams are dashed, she could be resentful, just like Betty. I have heard that unless we get therapy, we end up marrying the same people over and over. It's a different actual person, but they possess the same traits.

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4087758;
    Actually, I like Betty. I think she's so accurate for that time period that it's uncanny. She's a much better actress than she gets credit for. The fact that so many dislike her is testament to that. We're supposed to.
    Whereas, with Don, we still like him.
    The show really does a great job of portarying, quite accurately, how men and women were viewed back then.
    Well said. I agree. To me, Betty, Joan, and Peggy are all essential characters to Mad Men, because the three combined so perfectly illustrate women on the eve of the women's movement. They each show WHY the changes that were brought about by the women's movement happened.

I watch Betty and cringe at many of her behaviors - especially towards her kids and recently towards Carla. But I think that as with most characters on Mad Men, she's written with enough depth that you can understand why she behaves like she does, and that gives me just enough sympathy for her.

FORT Newbie

IMHO the minute Faye went against her better judgment and made arrangements for a meeting between one of her other clients and Don, the relationship was over. She dropped from being Don's equal to being just another woman he can manipulate. Therefore she became the same as Megan kwim. With the two women on equal footing, the only way to decide which one he should marry, the children were the deciding factor. Make sense?

Betty is like the perfect embodiment of The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan. I was googling a link to Wikipedia but I see someone has actually put up the first chapter on the internet: The Feminine Mystique: Chapter 1

Worth a read as it pertains to Betty Draper.
    The problem lay buried, unspoken, for many years in the minds of American women. It was a strange stirring, a sense of dissatisfaction, a yearning that women suffered in the middle of the twentieth century in the United States. Each suburban wife struggled with it alone. As she made the beds, shopped for groceries, matched slipcover material, ate peanut butter sandwiches with her children, chauffeured Cub Scouts and Brownies, lay beside her husband at night--she was afraid to ask even of herself the silent question--"Is this all?"
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread