+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 141 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374114 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

I think it's funny that Betty indirectly caused this premature engagement. If she hadn't fired Carla, then Don never would have needed to take Megan on his business trip/vacation with the kids. He may have ended up in a relationship with her, but the time alone out of the office with his kids really speeded up the process.

And poor Sally, Bobby, and Gene, with no Carla in their lives one of the only stable people they know is gone. I've always felt a little sorry for Betty because I think I would have lost my mind if I had to be a housewife at that time. But when she fired Carla and spoke to her so rudely, it really turned me off.

I think what really got me was when Betty refused to give Carla a reference. Man, that is cold! If I were Carla, I think I might have to resorted to blackmailing the woman to get my reference letter...whether the story was true or not! LOL I'm sure Henry would not like certain things about his wife getting out.

I will say that Faye would not have worked with the kids. Faye seems to be extremely challenged in that department. Faye's selfish nature was never revealed more than when she was faced with the Sally situation. Faye demonstrated she was more concerned with herself than Sally's mental state. Odd for a mental heath professional.

I loved the scene of Joan and Peggy sitting in Joan's office gossiping about Don's ridiculous engagement. Funny, I think most of them know where this is going. LOL

Can't say I was overly surprised by the premature engagement.
    The way Don looked at Meghan at the end of that prior episode foretold it.

I didn't really think that scene with Peggy and Joan rang overly true. They seemed way too simpatico with each other. I do understand that both would feel that way toward Don announcing a new fiancee. I just didn't buy them looking as united as the two did in their little get together.

What happened to the prior actress who played Carla? This woman doesn't seem like the same one to me, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Loved the way they recreated my sister's friend's pool area. Totally looked 60's. The bathing suits on Sallie and Meghan ( along with the hat ) really rang true. Also, the way they decorated that hotel's bedrooms was just dead on in the spirit of the very modern decor that was so representative of the time period. Does anybody know, though, why they now have Sallie with blond hair? If memory serves me, it was brown before. I know of no little girls whose hair got lighter when they got older unless it was helped by hair dye.

I'm already going through MM withdrawal. I don't think I can wait a whole year.

Did anybody see Jon Hamm, by the way, on the live showing of 30 Rock this past week? He was such a great character when he played Liz Lemon's beau. I just love the guy.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4086370;

I didn't really think that scene with Peggy and Joan rang overly true. They seemed way too simpatico with each other. I do understand that both would feel that way toward Don announcing a new fiancee. I just didn't buy them looking as united as the two did in their little get together.
    I disagree. I think the bond between the two of them has been building throughout the season, and that was the end result. I think that going into the season, Peggy and Joan didn't care for each other, because each viewed the other as so different from herself. After the incident where Peggy fired the copywriter who had drawn the cartoon of Joan, and their confrontration over it, each woman gained an appreciation for why the other's approach may be different from what she'd choose, but was effective. I think that was the beginning of the mutal respect.

At the same time, I think that both Peggy and Joan have discovered a level of lonliness as their value to the agency has grown. Prior to the new agency, Joan had her place as the "queen bee" of all the secretaries. With the new agency, she's viewed by the secretaries as "management", and has lost that social circle. Likewise, Peggy has become an outcast with her co-workers, because the novelty of her being the copywriter with the female point of view has worn off, and now she's just the outcast woman among a boy's club.

So over the course of the season, I think both Peggy and Joan looked around, felt alone, and then discovered they were in the same boat. After several seasons of being fixated on their differences, I think each woman discovered how much they have in common this season.
    redsox girl likes this.

I never expected him to have a lasting relationship with Faye. He opened up to her and being who he is, it wasn't freeing to him at all.

It does surprise me he went with someone who barely knows him and vice versa. I think what Harry said is going to be the theme of next season: "There ARE no fresh starts." They must be leading up to his exposure, probably because of that background check. Who knows? Maybe they won't even make it down the aisle.

I like the character of Megan, but I am surprised this is the path they drew for her. Early on they showed her flipping a magazine, trying not to look bored, and when Peggy asked her about it she said they told her a book didn't project the right image. All along you've had hints that she has a brain and can think for herself. She was also kind to Sally, and we've never seen her gossipy. The last few episodes where she came on so strongly and matter-of-factly to Don surprised me. There's a difference between modern ("I won't run out of the room crying the next morning") and using your job to catch a husband. I guess I saw her as on the modern end.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Well, I'm happy to say that I'm not the only one that got "Groundhog Day" out of the final scene. Other blogs are talking about it. There's no way that "I Got You Babe" was just stuck in by accident.
    Is it just me or is the kid that plays Glenn the worst actor ever? He's painful to watch!

Yeah, he's Matt Weiner's son. They should have forgone the nepotism. The girl who plays Sally, in contrast, is wonderful - Kiernan Shipka. She has all these Betty mannerisms and makes them seem unconscious.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4086459;
    Yeah, he's Matt Weiner's son. They should have forgone the nepotism. The girl who plays Sally, in contrast, is wonderful - Kiernan Shipka. She has all these Betty mannerisms and makes them seem unconscious.
    Funny, I almost said ,in my post, that he must have know someone to get the job! Guess that he did! Yes, Kiernan Shipka is wonderful. She's just gotten better and better!

Quote Originally Posted by MrMet;4086214;
    Well I'm relieved to know I wasn't the only one who liked this episode. I really enjoyed it, and found myself thinking about it almost instantly when I woke up this morning.

The engagement certainly came out of left field, but it worked for me for a few reasons. First, all season we've been getting hints of a new Don forming - a modern Don. He started dating a woman who was more his equal, and would challenge him. She was also a woman he was honest with about his past. He became more introspective, and started to curb his drinking. While it was nice to see the improvements, it was kind of disheartening because it wasn't Don Draper. In the past couple of episodes, he walked away from the journal (which admit it - most of us complained about as being so non-Mad Men!), and didn't worry as much about his drinking. So it makes sense that he'd complete the return to the Don we know by choosing the traditional woman who would take care of him, be subservient to him, and provide a stable calm home for him to return to each night. It's like Don saw the temptation of modernizing, and ran away from it.

I also thought the storyline was interesting for the way it revealed his connection to Peggy. We've always been led to believe that the Don / Peggy relationship was more of a father / daughter relationship (age aside) than anything romantic. But in her response to the engagement announcement, we saw a hint of a "why not me?" from her. And in his admission that he sees a lot of Peggy in Megan is critical as well. It was the first time that I've seen Peggy to Don as similar to what Joan is to Roger.

That leads me to the third reason why I think this random move makes so much sense. It really solidified the paralells in the Don and Roger characters. It showed them as almost the same man 10 years apart. Roger had a wife who finally said enough, and avoided his true love in the workplace because it would have been to complicated and challenging in place of a subservient secretary. He also rushed right into a second marriage, because a man of that era could not face life alone for too long. And now we're seeing Don with the wife who said "enough", avoiding his true love in the workplace who would be too complicated and challenging (be that Peggy or Faye) in favor of a subservient secretary who will provide stability and help him avoid being alone too long.

Lastly, I loved the interaction between Betty and Don. It bothered me when they split, because I thought both of them - but Betty especially - were assuming different would be better, when it really would not be. I think its evident that Betty has now realized just how good she had it before, and would probably go back to her former life now if only that was an option. It would not surprise me at all if we see Don cheating on Megan with Betty some time down the road.I also have to say that for me, there was plenty of set up for next season. It wasn't really in the "what will happen" kind of way, but I don't think the end of last season was either. But there is plenty to look forward to, which we'll get to see panned out. Joan will have her baby, and we'll get to wait to see how quickly people realize he looks like Roger ... and how Roger response to knowing its his baby and he can't do anything about it. Don and Megan will be married, and we'll get to see how much their life resembles Don and Betty (is it possible he'll tell the real estate agent he's changed his mind, and move Megan into that house?). I also think there's a great rivalrly building now between Pete and Ken, and I look foward to seeing that. On the one hand you've got Pete who is stumbling in business deals suddenly, and willing to sell out anything, including his family, to further himself in business. On the other hand you've got Ken who seems to have golden touch with business, but has drawn definite boundaries between business and family. I'd like to see that play out more.
    You have said exactly what I was trying to put into words, but didn't know how. Very well put. The only thing I disagree on is Don having anything to do with Betty, or at least, I'm hoping it doesn't happen. Betty is my least favorite in this show. I love the evolution of Peggy and feel like she will be the most important person in the end when all is said and done.
    Last edited by Coco46; 10-18-2010 at 05:30 PM.
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4086370;

Loved the way they recreated my sister's friend's pool area. Totally looked 60's. The bathing suits on Sallie and Meghan ( along with the hat ) really rang true. Also, the way they decorated that hotel's bedrooms was just dead on in the spirit of the very modern decor that was so representative of the time period. Does anybody know, though, why they now have Sallie with blond hair? If memory serves me, it was brown before. I know of no little girls whose hair got lighter when they got older unless it was helped by hair dye.
    I think you are right. Here's a photo of Sally at Christmas time. It was taken in the second episode of this season.
    Mad Men Season 4 Episode Photos - Mad Men Season 4 Episode Photos Photo Gallery - AMCtv.com

Now I'm confused. This is a photo of her in the first episode this season. It looks pretty light there too.
    Mad Men Season 4 Episode Photos - Mad Men Season 4 Episode Photos Photo Gallery - AMCtv.com
    Last edited by Debb70; 10-18-2010 at 05:40 PM.

+ Reply to Thread