+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 141 FirstFirst ... 13535455565758596061626364656667686970717273113 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

I kind of loved the episode! I saw the "logic" of Don's quickie decision to propose to Megan. He's spent a year watching the mother of his kids become an evil robot, and almost every other aspect of his life was turned upside down as well. He's grabbing for some new calm and stability, like a shipwrecked man spotting land, because it dawned on him that is was even possible again. Of course it may quickly blow up in his face, but I liked the twist.

Betty is a lost cause. I'm not sure where she can go from here, she's really hit bottom as a person. Maybe she'll crack up and Don will get the kids with his new stable home? That has the potential to blow up as well, so I like the chances of it happening.

I just knew Joan was pregnant. And the way that characters come and go in this show, who knows, Ray Wise might suddenly pop up in the season premiere if that golf game went well. I don't think it will bode well for Ken either way...

I only wish that we saw some of Roger's actions (and inactions) catching up with him tonight.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I usually watch all three showings of the show on Sunday nights. I'm skipping the third showing. It was a real let-down.

Think what turned the table for Joan keeping the pregnancy was when the lady in the waiting room at the clinic asked Joan how old her daughter is. I think that's when Joan realized this may be the time to have a baby before she actually is too old. That had to be harsh on her.

The way Don has decided to marry his secretary reminds me of Roger marrying Jane. I've some other things Don has done that send him traveling down Roger's road. I sure hope that doesn't happen.

Too many omissions with not enough tease to leave me anxious for next season like previous seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by JORY'sMom;4086058;
    WTH just happened?

Yay, Joan is pregnant, and I loved the bonding between her and Peggy, but otherwise? Seriously, wth?

I thought the proposal scene was a dream, and was waiting for one of them to wake up. When he pulled out Anna's ring, that's when I realized it was all too real. Ugh.

And Betty dolling up for Don? She's pathetic.

Oh, but I loved the Disneyland references.
    OMG! I thought the exact same thing, about the proposal! One minute they were in CA and the next...... I didn't know where what was going on or where they were. LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Betty getting ready for Don and waiting for him! I'm watching it again right now. It's at the part were Don is thinking about "things" in the hotel room and then does the right thing and goes out to the pool. He's making the choice to do the right thing and it's fantastic. Doesn't mean that he still won't choose lots of other wrong things but at least, for the moment, he got it right.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4085731;
    Great pre-finale interview with creator Mathew Weiner at Zap2It.com: ... "What are your hopes for the season finale?
    I hope people -- there's a frustration for me always. There are sort of the same comments every year that it starts off slow and the first episodes are whatever, and once it's there as a unit, they sort of see what it is. I'm hoping when people get to the end, they'll understand the journey we went on this season and what it was about for Don, and what it was about for the business, and what it was about for these people's personal lives, and they'll see it has a wholeness to it."
    "A wholeness to it?" WTF? I never liked that secretary. She was ambitious and back stabbing. The Don we have followed from the very beginning does not fit with this guy who falls for one of the oldest, most boring cliches in the book, to want to marry the young, pretty, low status girl who is good with kids. Although I could tell during the season she was after him, I was really hoping it wouldn't go there. To make that the culmination of the whole season is such a let-down. We did laugh at the interchange between Peggy (who has emerged as the one character whose viewpoint is the same as the viewers') and Joan (btw, glad she is still pregnant), but that was such a small percentage of the time taken up by the episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;4086078;
    "A wholeness to it?" WTF? I never liked that secretary. She was ambitious and back stabbing. The Don we have followed from the very beginning does not fit with this guy who falls for one of the oldest, most boring cliches in the book, to want to marry the young, pretty, low status girl who is good with kids. Although I could tell during the season she was after him, I was really hoping it wouldn't go there. To make that the culmination of the whole season is such a let-down. We did laugh at the interchange between Peggy (who has emerged as the one character whose viewpoint is the same as the viewers') and Joan (btw, glad she is still pregnant), but that was such a small percentage of the time taken up by the episode.
    But I think that's part of the point -- "the Don we've followed from the very beginning" was kind of torn down this season, and it's still not clear what's going to be built in its place, or if Don will be able to live with his hasty choices. Will Dick begin to take his life back next season, or will Don ever really allow that to happen?
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4086080;
    But I think that's part of the point -- "the Don we've followed from the very beginning" was kind of torn down this season, and it's still not clear what's going to be built in its place, or if Don will be able to live with his hasty choices. Will Dick begin to take his life back next season, or will Don ever really allow that to happen?
    I see your point - but at the same time, I feel like Peggy when she heard the news and could only say, "Wow." Hmmm....the women on this show do a good job of controlling the men, don't you think?

I'm not very good at reading into the deeper meaning of things that happen on this show. I read some blogs and really enjoy some of the "hidden" meanings behind some of the things that go on. I just finished watching the show again. I doubt if I'm right about this BUT I think that it's funny that, at the end, the song "I've got You Babe" is playing. It reminds me of "Groundhog Day". Does this mean that Don is just starting the same life over again? It's just a thought. the last scene reminded me of Bill Murray looking out the window while that song was playing. Yes, I know, not very deep, but it does fit.

well, rats.
    I haven't watched this episode yet...but it's recorded and now I'm not in a hurry to see it.
    I understand that Don is unhappy and lonely in that dark little apartment but jumping into an engagement with a secretary he hardly knows????? I don't get it. I understand that Don is brilliant at his work and not so good at personal choices but this is really a dumb move, to me anyway.
    I didn't expect or hope he'd get back with witchy Betty, nor did I see him long term with Faye, who's far too logical and business like. I just don't get this engagement. We hardly know Megan. Just seems a little too forced to me.

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4086066;
    I kind of loved the episode! I saw the "logic" of Don's quickie decision to propose to Megan. He's spent a year watching the mother of his kids become an evil robot, and almost every other aspect of his life was turned upside down as well. He's grabbing for some new calm and stability, like a shipwrecked man spotting land, because it dawned on him that is was even possible again. Of course it may quickly blow up in his face, but I liked the twist.

Betty is a lost cause. I'm not sure where she can go from here, she's really hit bottom as a person. Maybe she'll crack up and Don will get the kids with his new stable home? That has the potential to blow up as well, so I like the chances of it happening.

I just knew Joan was pregnant. And the way that characters come and go in this show, who knows, Ray Wise might suddenly pop up in the season premiere if that golf game went well. I don't think it will bode well for Ken either way...

I only wish that we saw some of Roger's actions (and inactions) catching up with him tonight.
    Well I'm relieved to know I wasn't the only one who liked this episode. I really enjoyed it, and found myself thinking about it almost instantly when I woke up this morning.

The engagement certainly came out of left field, but it worked for me for a few reasons. First, all season we've been getting hints of a new Don forming - a modern Don. He started dating a woman who was more his equal, and would challenge him. She was also a woman he was honest with about his past. He became more introspective, and started to curb his drinking. While it was nice to see the improvements, it was kind of disheartening because it wasn't Don Draper. In the past couple of episodes, he walked away from the journal (which admit it - most of us complained about as being so non-Mad Men!), and didn't worry as much about his drinking. So it makes sense that he'd complete the return to the Don we know by choosing the traditional woman who would take care of him, be subservient to him, and provide a stable calm home for him to return to each night. It's like Don saw the temptation of modernizing, and ran away from it.

I also thought the storyline was interesting for the way it revealed his connection to Peggy. We've always been led to believe that the Don / Peggy relationship was more of a father / daughter relationship (age aside) than anything romantic. But in her response to the engagement announcement, we saw a hint of a "why not me?" from her. And in his admission that he sees a lot of Peggy in Megan is critical as well. It was the first time that I've seen Peggy to Don as similar to what Joan is to Roger.

That leads me to the third reason why I think this random move makes so much sense. It really solidified the paralells in the Don and Roger characters. It showed them as almost the same man 10 years apart. Roger had a wife who finally said enough, and avoided his true love in the workplace because it would have been to complicated and challenging in place of a subservient secretary. He also rushed right into a second marriage, because a man of that era could not face life alone for too long. And now we're seeing Don with the wife who said "enough", avoiding his true love in the workplace who would be too complicated and challenging (be that Peggy or Faye) in favor of a subservient secretary who will provide stability and help him avoid being alone too long.

Lastly, I loved the interaction between Betty and Don. It bothered me when they split, because I thought both of them - but Betty especially - were assuming different would be better, when it really would not be. I think its evident that Betty has now realized just how good she had it before, and would probably go back to her former life now if only that was an option. It would not surprise me at all if we see Don cheating on Megan with Betty some time down the road.

I also have to say that for me, there was plenty of set up for next season. It wasn't really in the "what will happen" kind of way, but I don't think the end of last season was either. But there is plenty to look forward to, which we'll get to see panned out. Joan will have her baby, and we'll get to wait to see how quickly people realize he looks like Roger ... and how Roger response to knowing its his baby and he can't do anything about it. Don and Megan will be married, and we'll get to see how much their life resembles Don and Betty (is it possible he'll tell the real estate agent he's changed his mind, and move Megan into that house?). I also think there's a great rivalrly building now between Pete and Ken, and I look foward to seeing that. On the one hand you've got Pete who is stumbling in business deals suddenly, and willing to sell out anything, including his family, to further himself in business. On the other hand you've got Ken who seems to have golden touch with business, but has drawn definite boundaries between business and family. I'd like to see that play out more.

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4086083;
    I'm not very good at reading into the deeper meaning of things that happen on this show. I read some blogs and really enjoy some of the "hidden" meanings behind some of the things that go on. I just finished watching the show again. I doubt if I'm right about this BUT I think that it's funny that, at the end, the song "I've got You Babe" is playing. It reminds me of "Groundhog Day". Does this mean that Don is just starting the same life over again? It's just a thought. the last scene reminded me of Bill Murray looking out the window while that song was playing. Yes, I know, not very deep, but it does fit.
    Great observation. I hadn't thought of that. I love that movie. The premise is that Bill Murray has to keep doing things over and over before he gets it right. Maybe that's what Don is doing. I think he is a slow learner.

Yes, they were back in Don's apt. when he proposed. You can see it in the background.

I must admit that when Don went over and knocked on Megan's door with that lame excuse about tv, it made me a little sick. He is just a creep IMO in that way. I love Don and think he is sexy, but he just doesn't have much taste in women. Why does the show keep pairing him up with women who are turn offs. I really like seeing Jon Hamm in a hot, sexy, love scene, but the way the writers set up his scenes, they are a big let down. That's disappointing.

I felt for Faye, I have had something similar happen to me so I know how she felt. LOL No big loss though. The girl really just dodged a bullet. Don would no more be faithful to her than he would any other woman he has known.

So, when the new season airs, will Don be married and cheating on Megan or already OUT of the relationship with Megan without going through with the wedding? If Don were smarter, he would have hired a nanny instead.

Was that the last time we will see Joan's husband or will he return home safely for the birth of her baby?

So many questions.

+ Reply to Thread