+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 141 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970110 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Gawd, we used to make those lanyards at camp! What a blast from the past.

I have to say, I'm happy to see some of the employees go. The firm seemed to go from a small, intrepid group to a big, bustling firm with no transition. IRL, there are that many people working at a firm, but too many characters were pulling focus (IMO) from the main and more interesting characters.

There are so many complex and well-drawn characters on this show, but there are a few characters who aren't. I especially don't like the clod who works under Peggy - the one who came onto her before her presentation and who spent the day in the hotel room with (and made him get naked). He totally one-dimensional and not at all likable. I mean, Pete is a bit of a jackass, but he's also a multi-faceted character: he's human. There was a moment in S1 (I think) where all we'd seen of Pete is just him being a weasel. Then he and Trudy were at the wedding and danced the Lindy/Swing/Whatever it was. It was this surprising little moment and it changed how I looked at him.

Add me to the list of people who can't believe this is the season finale. I really wish these cable shows would give us a longer season. Twelve episodes just isn't enough. It feels like the season just started.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4082085;
    Gawd, we used to make those lanyards at camp! What a blast from the past.

I have to say, I'm happy to see some of the employees go. The firm seemed to go from a small, intrepid group to a big, bustling firm with no transition. IRL, there are that many people working at a firm, but too many characters were pulling focus (IMO) from the main and more interesting characters.

There are so many complex and well-drawn characters on this show, but there are a few characters who aren't. I especially don't like the clod who works under Peggy - the one who came onto her before her presentation and who spent the day in the hotel room with (and made him get naked). He totally one-dimensional and not at all likable. I mean, Pete is a bit of a jackass, but he's also a multi-faceted character: he's human. There was a moment in S1 (I think) where all we'd seen of Pete is just him being a weasel. Then he and Trudy were at the wedding and danced the Lindy/Swing/Whatever it was. It was this surprising little moment and it changed how I looked at him.

Add me to the list of people who can't believe this is the season finale. I really wish these cable shows would give us a longer season. Twelve episodes just isn't enough. It feels like the season just started.
    Yep, he's even more of a weasel than Pete. He's very smarmy.
    Twelve weeks is definitely not long enough. Mad Men is so complicated and multi faceted that it takes me awhile to take it all in with all the psychological implications.

Gotta love the Mouse! JORY'sMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4082177;
    Yep, he's even more of a weasel than Pete. He's very smarmy.
    I definitely see what you guys are saying, but I feel like he's going to redeem himself somehow. I liked that he was the only one who spoke to Don the morning his letter hit the newspaper.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and comment about the firm. I realize they are representing large corporations, however, doesn't it seem like they are paid millions of dollars to do realitively little work. I mean, for a campaign, Peggy and a few of the guys work a few weeks or weekends and then mull it over with Don and then they have the idea to present to the client. That seems like a lot of money for a little bit of work IMO. I don't know much about advertising agencies, so maybe some who do can shed some light on it.

Coming up with those ideas doesn't seem that difficult. Remind me what Roger and Don do all day. What are all the secretaries doing? It's difficult to imagine why they need all those employees.

Quote Originally Posted by JORY'sMom;4082202;
    I definitely see what you guys are saying, but I feel like he's going to redeem himself somehow. I liked that he was the only one who spoke to Don the morning his letter hit the newspaper.
    We were talking about one of Peggy's underlings, not Pete.

I'll beg to differ with you Debb70 - I think coming up with a good idea is the hardest part. It seems easy because we watch it, but coming up with a winning idea that a client will like is far from simple.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4082287;
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and comment about the firm. I realize they are representing large corporations, however, doesn't it seem like they are paid millions of dollars to do realitively little work. I mean, for a campaign, Peggy and a few of the guys work a few weeks or weekends and then mull it over with Don and then they have the idea to present to the client. That seems like a lot of money for a little bit of work IMO. I don't know much about advertising agencies, so maybe some who do can shed some light on it.

Coming up with those ideas doesn't seem that difficult. Remind me what Roger and Don do all day. What are all the secretaries doing? It's difficult to imagine why they need all those employees.
    Way back I worked at 1 of the top ad agencies in NYC. It's one that's been mentioned on the show.
    Coming up with ideas, etc. is not at all easy. And, it's actually quite a lot of work and long hours. They deserve the money they get.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Gotta love the Mouse! JORY'sMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4082323;
    We were talking about one of Peggy's underlings, not Pete.
    Right. That's who I was talking about - Stan. I had mentioned in one of my earlier posts that I'm actually warming up to him.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4082387;
    Way back I worked at 1 of the top ad agencies in NYC. It's one that's been mentioned on the show.
    Coming up with ideas, etc. is not at all easy. And, it's actually quite a lot of work and long hours. They deserve the money they get.

Okay, you guys seem to know what you're talking about. I believe it. It must be harder than it looks. But still, what are all of those support staff and secretaries doing?

Trivia. Do you know which firm came up with the slogan for Virginia Slim cigarettes, "You've Come A Long Way Baby." I'm not sure why I still remembered that slogan. I think it's from the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4082473;
    Okay, you guys seem to know what you're talking about. I believe it. It must be harder than it looks. But still, what are all of those support staff and secretaries doing?

Trivia. Do you know which firm came up with the slogan for Virginia Slim cigarettes, "You've Come A Long Way Baby." I'm not sure why I still remembered that slogan. I think it's from the 70's.

Don't forget, this was before a lot of office technology we now take for granted. Imagine running an office without computers, voice mail, fax, or even a Xerox Every contract, bill, and memo had to be typed by a secretary. (Anybody else remember carbon copies and dittoes?) Large corporations used to have rooms full of secretaries who just typed all day long that were called typing pools. A mark of success used to be moving from the typing pool to being a personal secretary with just one boss.

And every time a secretary got a phone call from the switchboard she would be interrupted and would have to take a message or transfer the call to her boss.

Every task took longer, so more people were needed to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by JORY'sMom;4082400;
    Right. That's who I was talking about - Stan. I had mentioned in one of my earlier posts that I'm actually warming up to him.
    Ah, okay, got it. I don't know if I'll ever warm up to him. For me, he's just another character that pulls focus from the main group and since we only get 12 episodes, I want the main characters to get as much screen time as possible.

My mom was a secretary during the period that MM is set and her stories match up with what is shown on the show. She started out in the steno pool and eventually did become the secretary to one of the execs. One of the best stories she tells is that, very regularly, the suits would have special lunch events and ALL of the secretaries - regardless of their position - would have to put on aprons and serve the lunch. That would never happen now.

+ Reply to Thread