+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 128 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465105 ... LastLast
Like Tree321Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;4064624;
    Mrs. Blankenship! This was quite an episode. It has been progressing towards the women's movement for quite some time now and I think it got there tonight.

And Sally - she dislikes her mom as much as most of us!
    I joined the show late and was shocked when Don said that he would normlly have his secretary do it, but she's dead! Nooooooooooooooo!

Remember the sexual revolution was not only about the act of intercourse. It was about the empowerment of the female as a sex as opposed to the male.
    I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr...purr...purr.

So, did
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Roger get Joan pregnant last night
    ?
    I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr...purr...purr.

FORT Fan

That's what the previews look like! I love them together, they seem to fit eachother so well.

I was disapponinted in Dr. Miller. It doesn't take a doctor to realize how troubled Sally is. Why wouldn't she be conveying to Don how serious Sally is with her home life instead of holding a pity party for herself? How immature and unprofessional can you be? It's clear Sally needs rescuing from her mean mommy. I'm ticked off at Don for not doing something about it. I realize father's roles were different then, but come on! He needs to do something. He didn't even call Sally's psychiatrist to see how he should handle this cry for help. It's just too cruel.

I think killing off Ms. Blanenship was a mistake. She was great.

I noticed Don slacked off on his writing nad increased on his drinking. Not good.

I wonder if Sally might be a victim of sexual abuse? Sounds far-fetched, but so was her behavior at her girlfriend's house. Also, the way she acted with her father was eerily wifely. I don't think Don's the perv, but it's possible that the weird neighbor boy is. Or maybe even the stepfather. Am I reading too much into this?
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

I get the creeps from the stepfather as well. I can't put my finger on it but he rubs me the wrong way even when he's doing nothing.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I read the Sally thing completely differently. She missed her father, modeled the behavior of Carla (and maybe Betty) by cooking breakfast, and perhaps was a bit ahead of the curve on hitting the train by herself. She's only 3 years out from the publishing of "From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" after all; Claudia and her brother got to NYC by themselves at about the same age. And who wouldn't want to get away from Betty? Hell, I wanted to get away from January Jones watching PR, just because of Betty! I'd think Henry would be on that train too if he weren't such a stand-up guy and staying in that mess of a marriage even though he knows now he got into it too fast. I get a weird father-daughter vibe from Henry and Betty, but I think, given his reaction to Betty slapping Sally for cutting her hair and recommending psychiatric help for Sally (which, obviously, would expose him if he were a molester--which I do not thing he is--but if he were, he wouldn't take that chance).

I did like this episode a whole lot--poor Mrs. Blankenship, and the Pete/Joan business trying to cart her off without the auto parts guys seeing! I like Don with Dr. Faye, even though she may have someone else on the side. Peggy trying to navigate the world of business and the world of civil rights is interesting; I hope Closet Guy doesn't end up causing her trouble.

The only thing I didn't 100% buy is the Joan/Roger hook-up. Under any other circumstances, I might have bought it. However, having recently been robbed (house burglary, not a stick-up) the last thing on my mind was any kind of physical satisfaction beyond perhaps stabbing the asshat who broke in until he gave me my camera memory card back. Getting lusty with anyone was the last emotion I could have felt.

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4064654;
    Sex has always been popular. That's why there are so many people in the world. No one , in the early 60s, advertised that they were sleeping around.
    On the show, it's just now beginning to approach the sexual revolution of the 60s and just because it was beginning, it didn't mean that everyone was on board. Most people wanted the subject of sex to be handled discretely and behind closed doors. It didn't happen overnight. On tonight's show Peggy mentions that she can't get into some clubs and that most men don't even want her to have her job. Women were still so limited in their choices. Her coworkers assume that she only got her job because she "must" have slept with Don. Peggy is the youngest of the women that are featured on the show. She seems to be the first one that has taken charge of her sexuality. She got burned, with Pete. Now she has become her own person and doesn't want to marry just anyone. She IS the sexual revolution but she is just the beginning.
    You said this all so well! It took a long time for the sexual revolution to come full circle. In the '60's a girl's reputation was still very important. Young girls may have been more actively sexual but it still was something that wasn't general knowledge.

I don't think Sally's stepfather has harmed her. Sally had issues before he came into the picture. Also, he's the one who suggested Sally see a psychiatrist. If he was molesting her, I would think he would not want to send her to a professional to see what's wrong.

There used to be some speculation that Sally's grandfather did something to her, but that has never been proven. I suspect that she is just troubled from her irratic mom and unavailable father. Poor kid. She doesn't have a chance.

My mom was a little like Betty. She was impatient, but not as mean as Betty. My dad was wonderful, except he did work too much and wasn't around as much as I wanted. I guess you could say I had life pretty much like Sallly, except my parents didn't divorce. Oh my.....LOL

+ Reply to Thread