+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 141 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364104 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

FORT Fan

Re: Mad Men

Oh my gosh, you're right TV! I'm so embarrassed, I completely forgot about the doctor visit! Nevermind...

FORT Regular

I can't remember what season it was, but in one episode Joan had a roommate who was evidently gay, and she made a pass at Joan while they were getting ready for a double-date. At the end of the show, Joan and her date went into her room and shut the door. The other girl sat with her date, and said, "You can do whatever you want." So he began kissing her, leaving me with the feeling that everyone in that apartment was having sex that night.

I always got the feeling that Joan was like Samantha Jones from Sex and the City, a woman who enjoyed sex, who had sex with many men, and who knew how to enjoy it without too much trouble. (Not totally sure how that was accomplished before the pill.) I found it interesting that her obgyn would have performed one of the abortions. Didn't realize that actual doctors did those things back then.

Quote Originally Posted by dustypants;4063100;
    Oh my gosh, you're right TV! I'm so embarrassed, I completely forgot about the doctor visit! Nevermind...
    No frets! I'm just going by things that other have posters said! I ALWAYS need other people's memories to refresh my own! I also feel that we're looking at Joan with a 2010 mentality. Back in 1965 she would have been considered a whore! OK, some today would still think of her as that. I think that she was lied to, by Roger, and kept up the relationship. Doesn't matter, I still feel bad for Joan. So strong in the workplace and yet, so weak in the personal relationship department! Is this show about her or Peggy? Kinda like "Lost", who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by mize77;4063126;
    I can't remember what season it was, but in one episode Joan had a roommate who was evidently gay, and she made a pass at Joan while they were getting ready for a double-date. At the end of the show, Joan and her date went into her room and shut the door. The other girl sat with her date, and said, "You can do whatever you want." So he began kissing her, leaving me with the feeling that everyone in that apartment was having sex that night.

I always got the feeling that Joan was like Samantha Jones from Sex and the City, a woman who enjoyed sex, who had sex with many men, and who knew how to enjoy it without too much trouble. (Not totally sure how that was accomplished before the pill.) I found it interesting that her obgyn would have performed one of the abortions. Didn't realize that actual doctors did those things back then.
    WOW! See, I don't remember that at all! Does this mean that I have to buy the whole series? This does make me want to watch it all from the very beginning! And I HAVE to ad "Why don't I remember this"? Sounds too good to have missed!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mize77;4063092;
    I'm a bit late for this party--haven't been on the site since last June. Have read lots of your thoughts, and have a few questions and a thought or two. Any thoughts as to why we viewers--and me especially--care so much about Don Draper when he's not a good father, husband, boss, or person in many regards? Why didn't Don take up full time with Sally's teacher when Betty kicked him out? He seemed to be crazy about her at the end of Season 3. Are people in NYC so immune to cab drivers that they can do what Bethany did in a cab? I have always liked Joan more than Peggy. It was interesting to read the comments about how she is becoming dated. Surely she is too smart to not move along with the times. My favorite part of season 4 was where Don squeezed Peggy's hand, just to let her know she was important to him. It gave me hope that he won't spend the rest of the show's run being a drunken slob.
    I care about Don because he is a survivor. I guess that means I put up with his evil side. I have a soft spot for kids who are abused or have a rough childhood. I also like him because he is creative.

I am loving his struggle to straighten up. The swimming storyline and the self help journal are pretty cool. A relief after all those relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by mize77;4063092;
    I'm a bit late for this party--haven't been on the site since last June. Have read lots of your thoughts, and have a few questions and a thought or two. Any thoughts as to why we viewers--and me especially--care so much about Don Draper when he's not a good father, husband, boss, or person in many regards?
    Sorry that I shortened your post so I could just speak to this one question about Don. I'm not sure that I care more about Don than any of the others (besides the fact he's lovely to look at! )

I don't think he's a bad father. He's pretty much what fathers were like in that time period. He's definitely not the hands-on fathers that we see today but he fit the mold for fathers then. I think it's clear that he loves his kids. Actually, I think he's a better parent than Betty is.

Yes, lousy, awful husband. He's not cut out to be a married man. He loves being independent, wants a variety of women and enjoys his work. But marriage was what you "did" then. Men who weren't married were either mama's boys, weirdos or gay.

I think he's a good boss, tough but not unfair. He worked long and hard to achieve what he has now in his career and I think he expects no less from his employees. He's especially hard on Peggy but I think that's because she needs to be challenged. And he knows she will rise up and meet that challenge probably more so than the other guys because she has a lot to overcome and prove being a woman in her position at that time.

I just think the focus is on Don because he pretty much leads the storyline. Everyone revolves around Don. He's complicated and very much flawed but there's something very substantial about him. He's not a common, ordinary man but one with exceptional charisma and you know he's capable of great things, if he chooses but despite that, he will often sabotage himself.

I think the reason so many of us like him is because he's not depicted as a one dimensional character. Sure, he's got flaws, but we all have them.
    In the end, because of the fact that the writers have depicted a whole character, we want to see him overcome his adversity and flourish.

As far as Joan, it also seemed to me that she had definitely had an affair with the ob-gyn. I think she differs from Samantha in her motivations.
    Samantha is depicted as the "liberated woman" and one who can enjoy sex just like a man can, not necessarily for love or procreation purposes, but just for pure enjoyment.
    On the other hand, Joan was never depicted as having sex just for sex sake. She didn't have sex with office assistants or those low on the totem pole. Rather, we are shown that she "coupled' with powerful men - those who she could gain something from, it seems.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4063187;
    No frets! I'm just going by things that other have posters said! I ALWAYS need other people's memories to refresh my own! I also feel that we're looking at Joan with a 2010 mentality. Back in 1965 she would have been considered a whore! OK, some today would still think of her as that. I think that she was lied to, by Roger, and kept up the relationship. Doesn't matter, I still feel bad for Joan. So strong in the workplace and yet, so weak in the personal relationship department! Is this show about her or Peggy? Kinda like "Lost", who knows?
    Actually, in 1965 sex was very much in vogue. It was the cusp of the hippie generation with the mantra "sex, drugs, and rock and roll". Mad Men takes place in New York where things were a bit more formal and it appears to reflect more of a 50's look in fashion and style. The double standard of sexual mores was still in place, but it was changing and women were seeing the beginnings of a sexual freedom that was formerly unseen in history (except maybe for a brief period in the twenties). The "pill" was a big deal and helped change the culture in this era.

Mrs. Blankenship! This was quite an episode. It has been progressing towards the women's movement for quite some time now and I think it got there tonight.

And Sally - she dislikes her mom as much as most of us!

Quote Originally Posted by aname2;4064006;
    Actually, in 1965 sex was very much in vogue. It was the cusp of the hippie generation with the mantra "sex, drugs, and rock and roll". Mad Men takes place in New York where things were a bit more formal and it appears to reflect more of a 50's look in fashion and style. The double standard of sexual mores was still in place, but it was changing and women were seeing the beginnings of a sexual freedom that was formerly unseen in history (except maybe for a brief period in the twenties). The "pill" was a big deal and helped change the culture in this era.
    Sex has always been popular. That's why there are so many people in the world. No one , in the early 60s, advertised that they were sleeping around.
    On the show, it's just now beginning to approach the sexual revolution of the 60s and just because it was beginning, it didn't mean that everyone was on board. Most people wanted the subject of sex to be handled discretely and behind closed doors. It didn't happen overnight. On tonight's show Peggy mentions that she can't get into some clubs and that most men don't even want her to have her job. Women were still so limited in their choices. Her coworkers assume that she only got her job because she "must" have slept with Don. Peggy is the youngest of the women that are featured on the show. She seems to be the first one that has taken charge of her sexuality. She got burned, with Pete. Now she has become her own person and doesn't want to marry just anyone. She IS the sexual revolution but she is just the beginning.

+ Reply to Thread