+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263103 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

They were just a bunch of swingers from LA weren't they?
    I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr...purr...purr.

Quote Originally Posted by kerowyn66;4060660;
    Does anyone else think that Joan is the Miss Blankenship of her generation.
    In the episode before this one we found out that Miss Blankenship was sleeping around with Mr. Cooper. Joan had an affair with Roger. Miss B is single and Joan's hubby is off to war, maybe not to return. Both are take charge kind of women.
    Maybe this is Matt Weiner's subtle attempt to tell us Joan's future.
    Just what I said in my post (508) that Joan could be the future Miss Blankenship if she doesn't start making some changes. Her look has ,quickly, become outdated and her hair color is too extreme for the times. She's great at running the office and very smart but she needs to "modern up" or she will become a laughing stock. She's already loosing her control over the younger employees. They only see her as an outdated, old schoolmarm.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;4060459;
    {snip}
    Here's what I want to know..what did the no-score credits mean? Usually, a pertinent song of the time plays over the credits. This time, nothing. It was like the "important death clock" on 24. Nada. No one died. Things shifted, yeah, but not in a crazy way given the time leap this season has been making. What gives? Maybe I just watched too much 24!
    I just watched the episode last night and heck-if-I-can NOW remember, but at the time thought there was definite significance in how there was no music whatsoever over the closing credits. I'll have to go back and catch the dialogue toward the end (not the crap Betty said to Henry about how they have everything, but something of actual value! LOL!). In my mind it was related to like having witnessed Matt Weiner crafting an ending of something or a death of something and the lack of music being very poignant or the moment-of-silence in tribute or indicating the gravity or true significance of some kind of closure. Dang! ARGH - so frustrating! LOL! Like a dream you can't fully remember after waking and no matter how hard you try it's like reaching out to grab puffs of smoke.

But I did feel there was absolute significance to having to music over the closing credits. Will have to watch again to remind me why I felt that way.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

In the two scenes where someone is drinking hard liquor, the sound went off and all you heard was silence as Don made the decision not to drink...

This is from a recap of the episode from Entertainment Weekly
    'Mad Men' recap: A swimmingly good time | 'Mad Men' Central Recap | EW.com

"The episode ended with Don holding his son aloft in the air. How young Don looked. How in love. The sound dropped out, as it had earlier for the booze. But instead of staring into the promise of annihilation he was looking up at a higher source of innocence and purpose. There is Satisfaction to be found in this life, despite Mick Jagger's lament. How right that the credits rolled without any music"
    I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr...purr...purr.

Just wanted to pass along that Jon Hamm is going to be on The Daily Show tonight in case anyone wants to tune in. He is mostly promoting his new film, The Town, that is coming out this week but may touch upon Mad Men as well.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by kerowyn66;4059772;

Joan should have been the the one to fire Joey. He has some serious mommy issues with women. She could have gone to Roger (where was he last night) but didn't. Wonder why. Didn't want to look like a tattletale?
    Loved the line "my mother was a Joan!" That pretty much said everything we needed to know about Joey and Joan. I was once a supervisor to a kid with mommy issues. Miserable.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4060045;
    Another great episode.
    I just love Ms. Blankenship. What a great character she is!
    Loved when she called Don Roger! Perfect touch.
    I love her also! At first, it was so strange to see "The Karate Kid's" mom, play this befuddled old lady but if you listen closely, she comes thru very clearly. What a great actress. Love her as an comic addition to the cast. Everyone else is SO serious.

FORT Fan

Ok, I MOSTLY loved this episode. But there were a few things that really bothered me - I don't like how Bethany and the doctor are both blonde. I feel like it looks like he's trying to replace Betty, I don't know, it just really bothers me. Also, I hated that the doctor threw herself at him by asking where his place was... I like their dynamic, but felt that she was making it too easy for him, does that make sense?

I love Joan. I want her to always be on her "game" at the office, and not show weakness. But for Christina, as the actor, they need to bring in more elements to her character. I really hate her storyline with her husband, but I understand what they're doing with it... it just shows her so weak and vulnerable, it makes me sad. As previously discussed, I don't think she slept around "a lot". I think they revealed that she had 2 relationships with people she worked with - Roger & Kinsey. Both, I got the impression, were actual relationships. I actually think she may have a worse reputation, than anything.

Oh, and Miss Blankenship is awesome!!

FORT Regular

I'm a bit late for this party--haven't been on the site since last June. Have read lots of your thoughts, and have a few questions and a thought or two. Any thoughts as to why we viewers--and me especially--care so much about Don Draper when he's not a good father, husband, boss, or person in many regards? Why didn't Don take up full time with Sally's teacher when Betty kicked him out? He seemed to be crazy about her at the end of Season 3. Are people in NYC so immune to cab drivers that they can do what Bethany did in a cab? I have always liked Joan more than Peggy. It was interesting to read the comments about how she is becoming dated. Surely she is too smart to not move along with the times. My favorite part of season 4 was where Don squeezed Peggy's hand, just to let her know she was important to him. It gave me hope that he won't spend the rest of the show's run being a drunken slob.

Quote Originally Posted by dustypants;4062972;
    Ok, I MOSTLY loved this episode. But there were a few things that really bothered me - I don't like how Bethany and the doctor are both blonde. I feel like it looks like he's trying to replace Betty, I don't know, it just really bothers me. Also, I hated that the doctor threw herself at him by asking where his place was... I like their dynamic, but felt that she was making it too easy for him, does that make sense?

I love Joan. I want her to always be on her "game" at the office, and not show weakness. But for Christina, as the actor, they need to bring in more elements to her character. I really hate her storyline with her husband, but I understand what they're doing with it... it just shows her so weak and vulnerable, it makes me sad. As previously discussed, I don't think she slept around "a lot". I think they revealed that she had 2 relationships with people she worked with - Roger & Kinsey. Both, I got the impression, were actual relationships. I actually think she may have a worse reputation, than anything.

Oh, and Miss Blankenship is awesome!!
    I'm not as good ,as others ,at remembering specifics but didn't Joan go to the doctor and admit to having a few abortions? Was she faithful to Roger, even though he was married, and tried to trick him into marriage with pregnancies? If she got pregnant 3 times (?) possibly with 3 different men but what about the ones that didn't impregnate her. Maybe we don't know all of the details but we have been given some info to work with. I feel like Joan was more in love with Roger than she admits to. It must really upset her that he left his wife for "what's her name", another secretary, that he only knew for 5 minutes! Joan was younger than Roger's wife and the new wife is younger than Joan.

+ Reply to Thread