+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 141 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4060045;
    Another great episode.
    I just love Ms. Blankenship. What a great character she is!
    Loved when she called Don Roger! Perfect touch.

I've never been a fan of Joan's. If she had not slept with so many and made herself a sexual object to men, I'd have a lot more respect for her and the fact that she is a very capable woman, on her own. Sadly, it was women like her who set us women back so much back then. And, it took us years to overcome the type of woman she portrayed. I'm not condoning what Joey did. The guy was totally wrong. But, I did love the comments he made to Joan. They were spot on. I think Joan is extremely jealous of Peggy because she's the woman that Joan is most insecure and jealous of in that office. I knew too many "Joans" back in the day. And, they made it way harder for the Peggy's than any man did. I remember when I did my student teaching with a very experienced and professional teacher. The one thing I will never forget about that teacher was her approach to the sixth grader problems in the class, "You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar." Joan needs to be reminded of that.

As far as Betty, I think she very wistfully looked at Don in that scene. Yes, she made that comment to Henry, but she did it to convince herself. She is stiill pining for Don. Who wouldn't???!!
    Although I agree with most of what you've said I have to disagree with the part about Joan setting women back. Yes, being the sexy secretary may have helped her to move up within her ranks but people have had to do a lot of things to make progress is society. Joan could have probably stepped into the position that Peggy has if she just had a little more confidence. She's a product of the 40s & 50s! She was told to work until she got married (which she tried) then found out that it was a lie. She worked at a department store (what my mom did while my dad finished college) and wasn't happy. I think and hope that Joan, eventually, realizes how smart and talented she actually is. This show isn't just about Don Draper. We already know the history of men controlling things. The interesting part, about this show, is what women have done to change things in their world. If Joan's character was a dimwit and didn't deserve to be in her position then I would say that the situation wasn't right. I feel that she did what she had to do (unfortunately) to get ahead at a job that she's good at. If her husband dies, in Vietnam she, at least, has a way to support herself. Many women, even today, aren't capable of doing that. It is sad that Joan isn't more in Peggy's corner. Isn't that funny that she, after having to do the things that she did to get ahead, doesn't support Peggy at all! She also doesn't know how to "play" Peggy. Joan only knows how to deal with men. Peggy is so good at taking all of the things that the other characters say to her and integrate it into her life.
    About Betty, I think that she sees the change that's happening with Don. He doesn't look so bad now. Her new husband may be a nice guy but he's a bore. I don't think that Don and Betty will get back together but I think that there may be a hot and heavy sex scene in the future! They ended to abruptly for it all to be over!

I don't recall Joan sleeping around. She had an affair with Roger, but that was it. She then dated the man she is married too. They may think she is loose because of her breast size, but she really isn't.

Joan has been super emotional since she went off the pill a couple of months ago. I hope she pulls herself together. I like the old one much better.

I adore Peggy, but she really needs a makeover to put her in some professional outfits.

Betty is just angry at the world and doesn't like herself. She was like that when she was married to Don and is still that way. I think her husband is ready to bolt on her too. She looks so miserable all the time. Even if they had not run into Don and Bethenny, Betty would still have been a very cool lady for dinner.

How fantastic to read all the comments from last night's show. Joan is feeling the effects of the Vietnam War and reminds us of that conflict with her husband about to go. Her blast at the art guys about being drafted reminded me of the horrendous issue of my peers who had low draft numbers and ended up fighting in a war without even wanting to be in the military.

Joan is a throwback of a curvy sort of the 1950's, raised to fix things for the men in her life. Twiggy and her look is just around the corner in 1965. Peggy is much more in tune to the cutting-edge womens movement. Joan has to be a mix of emotions and she is showing it. She doesn't fit in any longer. I don't like her as much as the last few seasons, but I want to find out what happens to her! And I like Peggy much, much more than in the past years. She dabbles in the wild side, but was raised in a strict Catholic family, something I can relate to! As she gains confidence, the possibilities for her character are endless.

I am curious what Don does with his drinking - how he can manage to scale down while others around him are still drinking all day. I think the swimming is building his confidence to straighten up.

I do love Mrs. Blankenship - old school, but perfect for Don. He sure seemed to know that early on in his fall to the bottom. Has he hit it yet? It seems so.

I don't recall Joan sleeping around. She had an affair with Roger, but that was it. She then dated the man she is married too. They may think she is loose because of her breast size, but she really isn't. Joan has been super emotional since she went off the pill a couple of months ago. I hope she pulls herself together. I like the old one much better.

That was made clear when she went to the gynecologist.
    Roger was by no means the only man she slept with.
    She slept with men in power positions.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 09-13-2010 at 11:56 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

So everyone knows about the Twiggy stage around the corner but the thing that sealed the changing times for me was Don showing up at work and handing Mrs. Blankenship his gym bag...and not hat. JFK famously didn't wear a fedora and they started going out of style because of him (leading me to my wild conspiracy theory that hat makers were behind his assassination ). Don's getting with the time.

Here's what I want to know..what did the no-score credits mean? Usually, a pertinent song of the time plays over the credits. This time, nothing. It was like the "important death clock" on 24. Nada. No one died. Things shifted, yeah, but not in a crazy way given the time leap this season has been making. What gives? Maybe I just watched too much 24!

Maybe they blew the budget on the Stones' song in the beginning of the episode.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4060461;
    Maybe they blew the budget on the Stones' song in the beginning of the episode.
    That song even stood out to my 23 year old daughter to be indicative of the changes ahead... worth every dollar, I would think...

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4060078;
    I think and hope that Joan, eventually, realizes how smart and talented she actually is. This show isn't just about Don Draper. We already know the history of men controlling things. The interesting part, about this show, is what women have done to change things in their world. If Joan's character was a dimwit and didn't deserve to be in her position then I would say that the situation wasn't right. I feel that she did what she had to do (unfortunately) to get ahead at a job that she's good at. If her husband dies, in Vietnam she, at least, has a way to support herself. Many women, even today, aren't capable of doing that. It is sad that Joan isn't more in Peggy's corner. Isn't that funny that she, after having to do the things that she did to get ahead, doesn't support Peggy at all! She also doesn't know how to "play" Peggy. Joan only knows how to deal with men. Peggy is so good at taking all of the things that the other characters say to her and integrate it into her life.
    About Betty, I think that she sees the change that's happening with Don. He doesn't look so bad now. Her new husband may be a nice guy but he's a bore. I don't think that Don and Betty will get back together but I think that there may be a hot and heavy sex scene in the future! They ended to abruptly for it all to be over!
    Being in the mid'60's, Joan may very well realze how smart and talented she really is but it wouldn't make much of a difference for a few more years. Society didn't really allow women to be smart and talented in business/work. Sure there were lots of exceptions but for the most part it's true.
    Joan isn't in Peggy's corner because at that time, rivalry was encouraged between women. Again, it will take more years before this really changes.
    But when you're living within those societal norms, you really don't realize all that is going on because it's been done that way for so long. It takes a lot of hindsight to see it.
    As for Joan only knowing how to deal with men, that was typical of that time in situations that involved men and women together. Again that rivalry would appear. At least, this is how I remember that time and I was younger but not a lot. I remember The Beatles first hit in 1963 in the US and I was in high school.

Does anyone else think that Joan is the Miss Blankenship of her generation.
    In the episode before this one we found out that Miss Blankenship was sleeping around with Mr. Cooper. Joan had an affair with Roger. Miss B is single and Joan's hubby is off to war, maybe not to return. Both are take charge kind of women.
    Maybe this is Matt Weiner's subtle attempt to tell us Joan's future.
    I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr...purr...purr.

Quote Originally Posted by kerowyn66;4060660;
    Does anyone else think that Joan is the Miss Blankenship of her generation.
    In the episode before this one we found out that Miss Blankenship was sleeping around with Mr. Cooper. Joan had an affair with Roger. Miss B is single and Joan's hubby is off to war, maybe not to return. Both are take charge kind of women.
    Maybe this is Matt Weiner's subtle attempt to tell us Joan's future.
    Very interesting observation. I hadn't thought of that possibility. You could be right.

I have a trivia question. Does anyone recall who Don stayed with at the CA home, season before last? Remember he met this girl at the hotel and she invited him to come and stay with her. When he arrived there were all of these interesting if not odd jet setters also in attendance. I think it may have been the girl's father's house. Does anyone remember the girl's name?

+ Reply to Thread