+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 141 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Interesting episode. Tried to keep spoilers in brackets for those who haven't watched yet.

Don is finally cutting down on his drinking. Betty is a B***H. Always was, always will be. Just because she let
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Don see Eugene on his birthday was just to make up with her husband

Do not like Don getting cozy with
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the doctor

Joan should have been the
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the one to fire Joey. He has some serious mommy issues with women.
    She could have gone to Roger (where was he last night) but didn't. Wonder why. Didn't want to look like a tattletale?

Wonder what is in store for next week.
    I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr...purr...purr.

Last night's episode was almost like an entirely different show. I was really pleasantly surprised. I really like the new Don. MY goodness. I think that man has a lot to offer. He is growing as a person and I love the idea of him keeping a journal!

I'm still a little skeptical of them showing him cutting back on alcohol. I find it unlikely someone who was drinking like him could cut back to a moderate amount.

What are they going to do with Betty? She is just terrible. What did she mean at the end when she told her husband they had everything?

I thought Joan was a real witch last night. She was wrong in putting blame on Peggy. Peggy did the right thing. I hope she realizes that or Peggy gives her an education. They caught Joan in a bad camera angle last night when she was talking to Peggy in the elevator and she was not very attractive. They need to correct that

I think I now recognize who that pool scene was with Don and his youngest son the other week. I'm going to double check and report back.

All in all, another great show IMO.

It's not who I thought it was at the pool with Don.
    WARNING. Be careful, when I went back and clicked on the site for the pool scene with Don, I almost ran into trouble with that site. I got out fast, but got some serious warnings by my virus protection.
    Last edited by Debb70; 09-13-2010 at 10:37 AM.

I thought that Betty was looking at Don in a different way. Possibly a new found attraction to him? That's the feeling that I got, anyway. I think that Joan wanted to deal with the problem on her own terms. She would rather out smart them and use her pull, to get back at and to teach a lesson, rather than to just fire them. I understand her getting mad at Peggy but I didn't see it coming. I don't feel like Peggy fired him to make herself look good. I think that Joan was wrong about that.

Yeah, I think it would have been good if Joan would have "fixed" the guy so to speak, but she didn't. That little speech she gave about them going off to Vietnam, was not sufficient. The best lesson for all was to set the policy that that behavior would not be tolerated. Period. Peggy was right IMO.

I hope Betty doesn't try to get Don back. I really am over them and do NOT want to see anymore relationship stuff between them. I really wish she would move away. I'd miss the kids, but she is just very annoying. It's sad to see how abusive she is to her kids. I wish they would do something with her.

Quote Originally Posted by kerowyn66;4059772;
    Interesting episode. Tried to keep spoilers in brackets for those who haven't watched yet.
    It's nice of you to do that, but as soon as the show has aired for the East coast, it's not considered a spoiler in these threads. Anyone who hasn't seen the episode yet and wants to avoid being spoiled should stay out of the thread until they watch the episode

I think Betty's issue with Don is that he seems to have moved on to date other women. She probably liked the idea of him being drunk and pathetic in a hotel room and sleeping with trampy women. Also, Bethany looks a bit like a younger Betty and is probably happy and sunny the way Betty used to be.

I liked seeing Peggy become stronger as a supervisor and but that little pischer in his place and that it was Don who urged her to do it herself.

I didn't like that Joan wanted to almost ignore the problem, but I'm sure that was a very common reaction at the time.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Off topic just a bit...
    I found this article written by the woman who was married to the man that Don Draper is bassed on. The real guy's name was Draper Daniels.

It is a cute article and I hope that some of the material makes it into Mad Men.

I Married a Mad Man - Chicago magazine - August 2009 - Chicago
    I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr...purr...purr.

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4059917;
    I thought that Betty was looking at Don in a different way. Possibly a new found attraction to him? That's the feeling that I got, anyway. I think that Joan wanted to deal with the problem on her own terms. She would rather out smart them and use her pull, to get back at and to teach a lesson, rather than to just fire them. I understand her getting mad at Peggy but I didn't see it coming. I don't feel like Peggy fired him to make herself look good. I think that Joan was wrong about that.
    Hmm, I saw both of those scenes differently. I may have to go watch it again.

For Betty, I thought she was being condescending when she took the attitude that she and Henry "have everything" and was faltering in her smugness when she saw Don genuinely enjoying his son.

With Peggy and Joan, I think they were once again illustrating that Joan is well-versed in the old rules, and Peggy represents newer, forward thinking. Joan had handled it, and in her mind she doesn't see women being treated equally as ever being a possibility. No matter how high a woman rises they can still be taken down with a cartoon. She hit them under the belt, and I hate to say it, but I think that she was pretty effective. I am guessing they would have treated her gingerly after that (except for Joey, maybe - he seems to have a deep disgust of women).

As a modern viewer, I of course side with Peggy in firing him. He was constantly making sexual jokes, complaining about work, and she was ready to make an example of him. I really, really want Peggy to go ahead and be an unqualified success to even Joan, but I don't see someone like Joan ever understanding that societal shift. She works the old system so well, it would be like admitting she had been wasting time manipulating the men around her all those years.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4059991;
    Also, Bethany looks a bit like a younger Betty and is probably happy and sunny the way Betty used to be.
    Seriously! They even styled their hair similarly. I think it was obvious to Bethany, too.

I totally empathize with Betty on this one. From her point of view, He broke up the marriage, he walked away from the day-to-day work of raising the children (what with "difficult" Sally), and he is dating a younger version of herself! She must have looked like a carbon copy from across the room.
    Last edited by hepcat; 09-13-2010 at 01:02 PM.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

While watching last night's episode I was thinking about how much things changed in the 60s. When the series first started Joan's style was very current for the times but now, just a few years later, she already seems to be outdated. The "British Invasion" was already making an impact on the younger generation and the mini skirt made it's debut in 1965. Even though some of the new styles may not have hit the workplace ,yet, the younger people, at the agency would look at Joan as being older and outdated. Funny, I remember that one of our neighbors, in the 60s, had (dyed) red hair. She was probably,only, in her late 20s to early 30s but seemed VERY old to me because she was a grownup! My mother disliked her just because of her hair! My mom made some comment about only trashy women dyed their hair that color! This memory has made me wonder if Joan is also possibly dating herself with her hair color. If she doesn't start keeping up with the times she might lose her sexy edge. So many fashion trends came and went back then that it made your head spin. It's going to be fun to watch as the "Mad Men" themselves start growing more facial hair and let their hair grow longer. I sure hope that it stays on long enough for that! Who knew? I still see Joan as being very sexy and together (?) but she isn't getting the same reactions, from men, that she did a few years ago. I get the feeling that she just may be a widow by next season. Is she going to up the ante or is she going to turn into a Mrs. Blank?????? (sorry, Don's new secretary that I'm not sure of her name)

Another great episode.
    I just love Ms. Blankenship. What a great character she is!
    Loved when she called Don Roger! Perfect touch.

I've never been a fan of Joan's. If she had not slept with so many and made herself a sexual object to men, I'd have a lot more respect for her and the fact that she is a very capable woman, on her own. Sadly, it was women like her who set us women back so much back then. And, it took us years to overcome the type of woman she portrayed. I'm not condoning what Joey did. The guy was totally wrong. But, I did love the comments he made to Joan. They were spot on. I think Joan is extremely jealous of Peggy because she's the woman that Joan is most insecure and jealous of in that office. I knew too many "Joans" back in the day. And, they made it way harder for the Peggy's than any man did. I remember when I did my student teaching with a very experienced and professional teacher. The one thing I will never forget about that teacher was her approach to the sixth grader problems in the class, "You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar." Joan needs to be reminded of that.

As far as Betty, I think she very wistfully looked at Don in that scene. Yes, she made that comment to Henry, but she did it to convince herself. She is stiill pining for Don. Who wouldn't???!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4059994;
    Hmm, I saw both of those scenes differently. I may have to go watch it again.

For Betty, I thought she was being condescending when she took the attitude that she and Henry "have everything" and was faltering in her smugness when she saw Don genuinely enjoying his son.

With Peggy and Joan, I think they were once again illustrating that Joan is well-versed in the old rules, and Peggy represents newer, forward thinking. Joan had handled it, and in her mind she doesn't see women being treated equally as ever being a possibility. No matter how high a woman rises they can still be taken down with a cartoon. She hit them under the belt, and I hate to say it, but I think that she was pretty effective. I am guessing they would have treated her gingerly after that (except for Joey, maybe - he seems to have a deep disgust of women).

As a modern viewer, I of course side with Peggy in firing him. He was constantly making sexual jokes, complaining about work, and she was ready to make an example of him. I really, really want Peggy to go ahead and be an unqualified success to even Joan, but I don't see someone like Joan ever understanding that societal shift. She works the old system so well, it would be like admitting she had been wasting time manipulating the men around her all those years.

Seriously! They even styled their hair similarly. I think it was obvious to Bethany, too.

I totally empathize with Betty on this one. From her point of view, He broke up the marriage, he walked away from the day-to-day work of raising the children (what with "difficult" Sally), and he is dating a younger version of herself! She must have looked like a carbon copy from across the room.
    I completely agree with your point of view on Peggy vs Joan and the way they handled things last night. You make a great point about Joan being resistent to the system changing because she had figured out so well how to operate under the old system.

With regards to Betty, I see things a bit differently. While I agree that she puts a lot of the blame for the failure of her marriage on Don, I think that she also recognizes how she gave up on things. She was drawn to get out and start a life with Henry, and I think her motivation there was the classic "grass is always greener". She was unhappy with Don because she thought he controlled her, worked all the time, and left her to take care of the house and kids which she hates. Now that she's experiencing real life with Henry she's discovering that in many ways he's just the same. In her eyes, he's controlling in the way he tells her how to raise the kids, deal with Don, etc. He's putting work ahead of helping her with the home, and dragging her along to work dinners, just like Don did. I think that Betty is discovering that what she thought she disliked in Don she actually dislikes in marriage. So then when she sees Don showering another woman with attention, she's reminded that with him, she at least got to feel a bit glamorous from time to time.

+ Reply to Thread