+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 141 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950515253545556575898 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Im not sure about how they do the filming and when it's braodcast. He, and other cast members, were there just a couple of days ago, though. Either Wednesday or Thursday, I think.
    It could be for this season. I'm not sure if AMC has announced a fifth season yet.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by MrMet;4052634;
    I think that 100% of the different career paths between Pete and Peggy is gender. After all, that's how it worked in the era the show takes place in. I've always thought the thing Mad Men does best is accurately depicting the 60s -- pregnant women smoking and sipping on wine, etc. One of the realities of that era was that women had four choices for adulthood -- motherhood, teacher, nurse, or secretary. Peggy is breaking that mold. The show would be dishonest to the era if they showed her skyrocketing through the agency, but through her, we are seeing how the change came about.
    Yes, those were the choices the majority of women had in that time but there were always "career women" in other professions. The fact that Peggy wasn't given any credit for the CLIO award is not just something that happened then, it happens in today's world also. Higher ups often use their underlings' ideas and call them their own. That's just the way of the world, not just during that time.

I think there are many reasons Pete is moving up faster than Peggy, including, as mentioned by other posters, the difference in education. Also, at the time, is was an unspoken rule that men, who were supporting a family, were more likely to climb the ladder quicker than a single woman.
    But when we criticize how badly Peggy is treated at the firm in the early '60's, we should also applaud them for promoting Peggy in a time when it was uncommon for a woman to work in the same position as the men.

Who is John Galt?

Having lived through the 60's as a working woman, I know first hand how difficult it was for a woman to move into any type of a management job in corporate America. The best a college graduate in business could hope for was Executive Secretary and maybe, if really lucky - Office Manager (where you were also expected to be hands-on, not just a "manager" as a man would be). The glass ceiling was intact and unbreakable. That started to change in the 70's. But even when women started moving up, they were expected to be smarter and more capable than a man in the same position and almost always made less money.

Don's promotion of Peggy to copy writer was an exception. I personally never knew any woman, regardless of education, who made it very far in the business world during that time. I am thrilled to see how far women have come since then. A woman can achieve almost anything now. Sex is still a factor in some professions, but doors are opening with greater frequency for women and attitudes are changing too. It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;4052652;
    I did like the flashbacks of when Don joined SC. Personally, I took away that he conned himself into the job--that little look right before the elevators was "oh, man, I got away with it!" to me. Roger's great succes--of bringing in Don--came out of a drunken con. I could be wrong, but that's how I like to view it.
    I thought the same thing, that Don figured Roger wouldn't remember so why not go for it? He pulled a George Costanza!

This last episode blew me away. I was on the fence about Jon Hamm's acting ability the first two seasons, because his range seemed to be limited to raised or furrowed eyebrows.

But he's really come into his own, perhaps because the scripts are showing a different side of him. His performance last night was riveting.

Or maybe it's just because he won me over with his hysterical Scott Brown skit on SNL.
    Last edited by candor; 09-06-2010 at 02:39 PM.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

He definitely showed his range last night.
    But, for ,me, all I need to do is to see him on an interview show or the red carpet. His real persona is so totally unlike Don Draper, that it's a true testament to his acting ability. He deserves the accolades.

I have to say, this last episode was one of my favorites. IMO, the relationship between Don and Peggy is one of the most complicated and intriguing on the show. This episode really felt like a two-actor episode. Yes, we saw some of the rest of the cast, but they were incidental. I loved getting to see so much of just Elizabeth and Jon working together. They both did an incredible job.

If Jon Hamm doesn't get an Emmy nomination for this season, well, then the Emmy voters are completely clueless.

About the images from California with Jon and the woman at the pool and what season that is for: I think I remember that one of the cast said something on Emmy night about them filming either the last episode or one of the last episodes. They're still filming this season. Since True Blood starts its season earlier than MM and they start filming for season 4 in November, I think MM probably is on hiatus through the new year.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Critical,

After what happpened in last night's episode, I'm pretty sure Jon will be trekking out West once again and it will, more than likely, be the season finale.
    It was, without a doubt, an excellent epiosde.
    He needs to win that Emmy already!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

If Hamm & Moss don't win Best Actor & Actress respectively next year, the Emmy judges are smoking more crack that the Project Runway judges are. That was a phenomenal episode; it almost felt like a Mamet play but with more realistic dialog...and more humor, because the bit about Blankenship being a hell cat and Cooper not having testicles was a great moment of levity. The two points that really made me bump this episode to the list of time greats were Peggy crying in the bathroom and Don putting her hand over hers at the end. Total call back to S1Ep1, but in a completely different context...and a great gift for long time obsessive viewers like myself.

The only negative thing I have to say--and that's not to say it can't eventually be corrected--is the introduction of the 3 new creative guys. Peggy's assistant, the new art director (the nudist), and Jane's cousin feel like they could be one guy, and the sum total of that one guy is far less interesting than Paul Kinsey.

I think whoever wrote this last episode should win an Emmy. It was so strong!

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;4055834;
    The only negative thing I have to say--and that's not to say it can't eventually be corrected--is the introduction of the 3 new creative guys. Peggy's assistant, the new art director (the nudist), and Jane's cousin feel like they could be one guy, and the sum total of that one guy is far less interesting than Paul Kinsey.
    I like that Peggy has 3 guys "under" her. In this episode it was clear Don respects Peggy and trusts her. He talks to her as the senior member of that team, and she informs the 3 stooges.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;4055834;
    If Hamm & Moss don't win Best Actor & Actress respectively next year, the Emmy judges are smoking more crack that the Project Runway judges are. That was a phenomenal episode; it almost felt like a Mamet play but with more realistic dialog...and more humor, because the bit about Blankenship being a hell cat and Cooper not having testicles was a great moment of levity. The two points that really made me bump this episode to the list of time greats were Peggy crying in the bathroom and Don putting her hand over hers at the end. Total call back to S1Ep1, but in a completely different context...and a great gift for long time obsessive viewers like myself.

ITA with everything you said, except I love Danny Strong. I'd watch him in anything. No, that part hasn't been great yet, but I'm hopeful that he'll get better material as the season progresses. Plus, like Harvest said, having Peggy supervise those guys is good for her and shows how much faith Don has in her.

I was reading comments on another site and one poster was aggravated because she thought Ali fought Liston and didn't know why they kept talking about Cassius Clay

I can't imagine how TPTB could possibly top this episode, but I'm excited to see them try!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread