+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 141 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142434445464748495051525354555696 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4052387;
    You could be right. It appears to me that they need to shave some extra weight off of the firm. There are too many big, male egos that are not serving them well at all. What they need is to utilize Peggy and Joan. Lane seems to have the right idea too.
    Lane is a great character. I couldn't see how he was going to fit in but now I love him!

Quote Originally Posted by JORY'sMom;4052115;
    I just assumed that Roger DID hire him, but didn't remember because he was drunk. Much like Don had to hire the little guy (Jane's cousin) because he did something stupid while drunk as well.
    This was what I assumed as well.

Peggy is such an interesting character. I'm really enjoying watching her grow. It's maddening how Don treats her and dismisses her concerns about the new art director, but she is standing up to the situation and growing from it.

Does MM ever repeat the episodes during the week? I checked the site and it said it was repeating today at 11:15 AM, but that does not seem to be the case.
    I'm on PST.

TIA
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4052487;
    Does MM ever repeat the episodes during the week? I checked the site and it said it was repeating today at 11:15 AM, but that does not seem to be the case.
    I'm on PST.

TIA
    It used to repeat during the week, but I'm not sure if it's doing it this season. I think you can watch it online onf AMC though.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4052490;
    It used to repeat during the week, but I'm not sure if it's doing it this season. I think you can watch it online onf AMC though.
    It doesn't seem to be doing that anymore. Darn.

It seemed like AMC only gave a brief view into the episode online, but I'll check it again.
    I did notice they mention how you can get episodes from ITunes, On Demand and on DVD. I guess they want to encourage us to buy it and NOT get it free.

THanks, Debb

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4051652;
    Okay, I'm a huge Buffy fan and I totally squealed when I saw Danny Strong on screen. JONATHAN!! I'm just a few minutes into the episode and I'm already happy!
    Thank you! He looked so familiar, but I could not place him.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;4052454;
    Peggy is such an interesting character. I'm really enjoying watching her grow. It's maddening how Don treats her and dismisses her concerns about the new art director, but she is standing up to the situation and growing from it.
    It was also maddening how they didn't give her any credit whatsoever for contributing to the Clio win. Then she had her drunken boss' back when he made the cereal blunder, but she will never get credit for that, either (or only in a negative way).

And notice how she and Pete started out at about the same level of experience, but now she is still treated badly/dismissively, whereas he has made partner. It's a wonder more women didn't go postal.
    Last edited by Harvest; 08-31-2010 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;4052542;
    Thank you! He looked so familiar, but I could not place him.

It was also maddening how they didn't give her any credit whatsoever for contributing to the Clio win. Then she had her drunken boss' back when he made the cereal blunder, but she will never get credit for that, either (or only in a negative way).

And notice how she and Pete started out at about the same level of experience, but now she is still treated badly/dismissively, whereas he has made partner. It's a wonder more women didn't go postal.
    Yes, I agree, however, I think that Pete came into the original firm as a copy writer and Peggy was there working as a secretary. I think that Pete has a college degree and Peggy does not. That could be one reason they see fit to hold her back and promote Pete. I'm not making excuses. I think most of it would have been because she was a woman and not based on her competence.

When you watch a show like this, you become more aware of why we have federal laws to protect people in the workplace.
    cablejockey likes this.

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4052601;
    Yes, I agree, however, I think that Pete came into the original firm as a copy writer and Peggy was there working as a secretary. I think that Pete has a college degree and Peggy does not. That could be one reason they see fit to hold her back and promote Pete. I'm not making excuses. I think most of it would have been because she was a woman and not based on her competence.
    I think that 100% of the different career paths between Pete and Peggy is gender. After all, that's how it worked in the era the show takes place in. I've always thought the thing Mad Men does best is accurately depicting the 60s -- pregnant women smoking and sipping on wine, etc. One of the realities of that era was that women had four choices for adulthood -- motherhood, teacher, nurse, or secretary. Peggy is breaking that mold. The show would be dishonest to the era if they showed her skyrocketing through the agency, but through her, we are seeing how the change came about.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Peggy isn't treated with the utmost respect all of the time, but Pete and Peggy are not on the same experience level. Pete already worked at SC when the show started, had been there a little while, and managed accounts. Plus, as Debb70 said, he has a college degree--from an Ivy, I believe, or at similar since he came from money. Peggy, OTOH, had her first day of work on the first episode and was only 20. She never went to college either. Accounts and Creative are going to be viewed differently as well in terms of bringing in business. Where the difference in treatment comes in at this point in the story is Lane is backing Pete to go out and get more clients to shore up the client base. On the other hand, Peggy is cleaning up Don's messes, doing his work, and getting little to no credit for it. In asmuch as Don's given her a unique for a woman opportunity, he's holding her back as well. I do wonder if that would happen with a guy in Peggy's position--Don may see a guy even more of a threat and keep him down as well. I guess we may see that if Danny Strong's character sticks around.

I did like the flashbacks of when Don joined SC. Personally, I took away that he conned himself into the job--that little look right before the elevators was "oh, man, I got away with it!" to me. Roger's great succes--of bringing in Don--came out of a drunken con. I could be wrong, but that's how I like to view it.

Maybe it was just me, but the whole Emmys/Clios lining up was cloying. I think Matt Weiner needs to have his ego deflated a bit.

Matt Weiner seems to have a giant ego to me, as well, phone grrl.

+ Reply to Thread