+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 141 FirstFirst ... 35363738394041424344454647484950515253545595 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 1403
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

  1. #441
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    269

    Re: Mad Men

    I saw Promises, Promises on broadway, and there was so much talk about Mad Men that hubby and I just bought the 3 season dvd's and watched them in just a few weeks. We're almost caught up with season 4.

    Love this show, the time period, the fabulous costumes and decor.

    I was talking to my mom about the show, my oldest sister was born in 58, me in 66 and my dad worked on madison ave during that time period.

    Without really knowing about the show she said sometime during the mid-late 60's they had to finally make a law to make the men keep their hands off of the secretaries who worked with them. Men wouldn't think twice of slapping a girl on her butt, or just getting frisky with her at work.

    Growing up when I did I knew very few divorced families, and only one or two moms worked as secretaries, the rest were stay at home moms with dads who worked in NYC. Working women from what I recalled was looked down upon or at least to be pitied. Of the jobs women had I can't think much beyond secretary, nurse or teacher.

    We didn't have a/c til the mid-70's. Mid 60's my family looked pretty similar to the Draper's in terms of appliances and conveniences.

  2. #442
    Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    3,160

    Re: Mad Men

    Reading in here about John Slattery made me curious enough to google him....I've seen him in other shows and thought he was a nice looking (relatively) older man. He's still just as handsome in Mad Men. Then I read he is younger than I am?? What a reality slap in the face that was. *sigh*

  3. #443
    FORT Fogey tvaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cypress,California
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Mad Men

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;4051149;
    Reading in here about John Slattery made me curious enough to google him....I've seen him in other shows and thought he was a nice looking (relatively) older man. He's still just as handsome in Mad Men. Then I read he is younger than I am?? What a reality slap in the face that was. *sigh*
    He was on "Sex and the City". He wanted Carrie to pee on him!
    I hate it when I find out that someone "older" is actually younger than me! Sigh...... It happens more and more!

  4. #444
    Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    3,160

    Re: Mad Men

    Oh, I've never seen Sex and the City, so I wouldn't know about that one. But yeah....even President Obama is younger than I am. My kids better get their behinds in gear so they are prepared to care for me in the not-so-distant future.

    Now let's finish Big Brother for tonight so we can get on with Mad Men!!

  5. #445
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    16,394

    Re: Mad Men

    Okay, I'm a huge Buffy fan and I totally squealed when I saw Danny Strong on screen. JONATHAN!! I'm just a few minutes into the episode and I'm already happy!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  6. #446
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,185

    Re: Mad Men

    Any thoughts on the show last night? I watched it after I watched The Emmys.

    Don has really gone down hill. How are the writers going to get him out of this? He sure was a different guy when he first came to the original firm. He seems to have followed right into Roger's footsteps.

    Peggy was hoot last night. Man, does she have a pair or what? She is focused and the best employee at that firm. Too bad Don's too drunk to notice.

  7. #447
    FORT Fogey tvaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cypress,California
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Mad Men

    I hate seeing Don so out of control! I LOVED all of the flashbacks and I hope that they give us more in the future. Had to give (young) Don credit for being so persistent and insightful as to how to handle Roger. The little smile in the elevator was perfect.
    I missed the very beginning and never figured out who the guy was that Peggy was stuck working with. Can someone fill me in?

  8. #448
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,185

    Re: Mad Men

    Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4051813;
    I hate seeing Don so out of control! I LOVED all of the flashbacks and I hope that they give us more in the future. Had to give (young) Don credit for being so persistent and insightful as to how to handle Roger. The little smile in the elevator was perfect.
    I missed the very beginning and never figured out who the guy was that Peggy was stuck working with. Can someone fill me in?
    I don't think they showed too much about him. He's a total jerk who is lazy and doesn't belong in the firm. I have no idea how he got there.

    I read on another board that when Don met Roger in the early days at the elevator and Don told Roger that he hired him the previous day, that Don was lying about that. He planned it all. Don planned to get Roger drunk and then pretend Roger hired him and hope Roger was too drunk to remember the difference. I didn't catch that.

  9. #449
    Gotta love the Mouse! JORY'sMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    295

    Re: Mad Men

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4051910;
    I read on another board that when Don met Roger in the early days at the elevator and Don told Roger that he hired him the previous day, that Don was lying about that. He planned it all. Don planned to get Roger drunk and then pretend Roger hired him and hope Roger was too drunk to remember the difference. I didn't catch that.
    I just assumed that Roger DID hire him, but didn't remember because he was drunk. Much like Don had to hire the little guy (Jane's cousin) because he did something stupid while drunk as well.

  10. #450
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,185

    Re: Mad Men

    Quote Originally Posted by JORY'sMom;4052115;
    I just assumed that Roger DID hire him, but didn't remember because he was drunk. Much like Don had to hire the little guy (Jane's cousin) because he did something stupid while drunk as well.

    You could be right. It appears to me that they need to shave some extra weight off of the firm. There are too many big, male egos that are not serving them well at all. What they need is to utilize Peggy and Joan. Lane seems to have the right idea too.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.