+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 141 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243444546474849505152535494 ... LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Re: Mad Men

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;4047030;
    Perhaps I am a bit swayed by Kiernan Shipka and Ryan Cutrona's commentary (I believe it was on "The Arrangements") on the Season 3 DVDs, but I do not think there is a Grandpa Gene sexual abuse situation going on with either Betty or Sally. Sally is on track for her age in psycho-sexual development, Betty's abuse came clearly from her mother (as has been hammered over our heads for ages--"Shut your mouth or you'll catch flies." from "The Fog"), and Gene was very pro-girl-power (excuse the Spice Girls reference) in telling Sally she could do anything she wanted--a message he gave her mother but she ignored. Gene was a weird dude, affected by transient ischemic attacks, but inasmuch as he didn't stab Bobby but gave him the helmet from WWI, I think he was on the up & up with his both grandkids.

I think this episode was very telling of things to come. Betty was "understood" by a child shrink. Don couldn't get his call to California through. (RIP Anna?) Henry seeing Betty as an irrational parent. Pete dressing down Roger, with good reason. Don getting his mojo back with the slight against the other agency and ultimately coming out okay with the Honda people. Joan always knowing what to say to Roger. I wish my DVR wasn't crapped out so I could watch it (and True Blood) right now.

And the Peggy .gif is just heaven. I could watch it for days.
    Great post! It's so interesting to get different views and opinions about this show. It makes it even better. I would love to watch the episodes, with grandpa, again, just to refresh my memory. I haven't checked but maybe they're on, on demand.

This last episode marked John Slattery's directorial debut. I'd give him a definite That scene with Peggy on the motorcycle was sublime, but there were lots of other good moments too. I hope he gets to direct more episodes 'cause I think he did a fantastic job and his own performance definitely didn't suffer. His scenes in this episode were REALLY uncomfortable to watch, but also really terrific.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4047365;
    This last episode marked John Slattery's directorial debut. I'd give him a definite That scene with Peggy on the motorcycle was sublime, but there were lots of other good moments too. I hope he gets to direct more episodes 'cause I think he did a fantastic job and his own performance definitely didn't suffer. His scenes in this episode were REALLY uncomfortable to watch, but also really terrific.
    He directed last week's episode, too.

Entertainment
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Gotta love the Mouse! JORY'sMom's Avatar

I knew he had directed last week's episode (and Roger really wasn't in it a lot) but didn't realize he'd done this week's as well. I give him a as well!!!

ETA: I don't think he did direct this last episode, only "The Rejected".

Quote Originally Posted by JORY'sMom;4047377;
    I knew he had directed last week's episode (and Roger really wasn't in it a lot) but didn't realize he'd done this week's as well. I give him a as well!!!

ETA: I don't think he did direct this last episode, only "The Rejected".
    Whoops! You're right. I should have checked imdb first. The item I read (which, of course, I now can't find ) had the wrong episode name listed.

To give credit where credit is due, Lesli Linka Glatter directed "The Chrysanthemum and the Sword"....as well as "Guy Walks Into an Advertising Agency," which was one of my favorite episodes of season 3.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I did a little research on John Slattery. I discovered that hs is married to George Clooney's ex-wife, Talia Balsam. I'm not sure why I found that interesting.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Slattery will direct again, though--the second-to-last one of the season, which, if tradition holds, should be full of developments.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4047477;
    I did a little research on John Slattery. I discovered that hs is married to George Clooney's ex-wife, Talia Balsam. I'm not sure why I found that interesting.
    I remember reading that and thought it was very interesting, too.
    I think she's the only one GC was ever married to.

I miss Talia Balsam being on the show. She's a very good actress.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4047477;
    You can't say she doesn't have a type!

She also plays Mona, Roger's first wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4047506;
    You can't say she doesn't have a type!

She also plays Mona, Roger's first wife.

Thank you! I didn't realize that.

+ Reply to Thread